FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tips for Hukilau first-timers
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tips for Hukilau first-timers
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 1:31 pm   Permalink

A few (hopefully) helpful pointers for those who will be visiting the Mai Kai and/or the Hukilau for the first time:

- Florida weather
There will probably be some intermittent rainshowers. The Yankee Clipper, Bahia Cabana and Bahia Mar are all within walking distance, so you may want to be prepared with an umbrella or a jacket with a hood. Cabs are readily available at both the Bahia Mar and the Yankee Clipper if you'd rather have a ride.

- Washroom attendants
The Mai Kai has washroom attendants. Be prepared to support this bit of throwback-luxury by having a dollar or two on you when you visit the restroom, for tips.

- Where to find people
When you register, you'll get a program that will tell you the Hukilau schedule, but during the few times when nothing is scheduled, you can probably find people congregating at the Wreck Bar at the Yankee Clipper, the bar at the Bahia Cabana, or possibly at the Molokai Bar at the Mai-Kai. Plan on keeping a cell phone with you during the weekend to make it easier to meet up with friends old & new.

- The Afterparties
To find the room parties, just follow the sound of people having a good time, and if the door is open, go on in and introduce yourself! The Bahia Cabana is the "loud" hotel, and this is likely where the room parties will be happening. There's typically no invitation required, but do remember that you are a guest in someone's hotel room.

Anyone else have some tips for first-timers?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 2:04 pm   Permalink

>>Anyone else have some tips for first-timers?

Bring an extra liver!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-02 2:08 pm   Permalink

Introduce yourself to people. A small number may blow you off.
I never will. Went to mondo tiki years ago. met no one. So If
you ever see me Tikiskip, John, Say hi.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 3:38 pm   Permalink

Amazingly, this is my first Hukilau (I lower my head in shame), but not my first time to the Mai-Kai. So, my Mai-Kai tip is for those who drink to pace yourself. You're going to be there for a LONG time, so think twice about diving right into the "strong" category on the drink menu. When they say strong, they mean it. Consider starting the evening with a couple of light or medium drinks and slowly working your way up. I personally would hate to be too far gone when the entertainment starts to really appreciate it. And when each drink is delivered to your table, savor not only the taste, but also the presentation and aroma. Mmmmmmmm, I just can't wait.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 4:04 pm   Permalink

Have a good time and take some photos and post them!

And of course look for this:

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 4:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-02 14:08, tikiskip wrote:
Introduce yourself to people. A small number may blow you off.

Glad I'm not the only one that had this experience.

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 4:53 pm   Permalink

A few more thoughts on the weekend ...

- Pacing is important. Not just drinks throughout one evening, but through the entire weekend. With the official events starting on Thursday, to the final Sunday Jetsetter party, that is 4 very full days of activities and drinking, and although it is a worthy goal, you are not required to experience every single minute. If you feel yourself burning out, go to your room and take a short nap for an hour or two, if it will refresh you. There will likely be ongoing events or room parties happening when you do wake up - and if you're from the West coast, you may be able to witness the unusual site of the morning sun rising over the ocean.

- Bring your ATM card. You will likely see some vendor artwork that will impress, and you don't want to be caught short on cash. The same goes for the Hukilau auction. Also bring an empty bag, especially if flying into Florida, to have room for all the items you may purchase.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 4:54 pm   Permalink

Sleep when you can. Even 20 minutes is better than nothing.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koka Nut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-02 6:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

That's a rip on me and Haole Kat, right?

View Profile of Koka Nut Send a personal message to Koka Nut  Goto the website of Koka Nut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
otikiniko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 6:24 pm   Permalink

This one might be of some importance.

We discovered today that the Clipper has pockets of extremely ill cell reception. My phone was going back and forth in and out of digital roam, so be prepared to potentially pay the price or shuffle quickly to the front doors. Unfortunately, I completely lost 4 important calls in the course of an hour and a half.

Kiliki seemed to be having the same issue so I know it wasn't my natural magnetism!?!

View Profile of otikiniko Send a personal message to otikiniko  Email otikiniko Goto the website of otikiniko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 6:35 pm   Permalink

For those of you flying in and out you might want to bring some bubble wrap to protect your precious booty. That didn't sound quite right but you know what I mean.

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-02 16:54, pablus wrote:

Pia Dahlquist's sofa is especially comfy on a Sunday afternoon.

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2006-10-02 20:17 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 8:32 pm   Permalink

Never serve Absinth straight up to unsuspecting Absinth virgins.
Absinth looks exactly like Winterfresh Scope.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-02 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-02 16:54, pablus wrote:

Sleep, schmeeep...

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 12:15 am   Permalink

Basement Kahuna's fourth annual Hukilau Tiki Yard Sale is on! Yankee CLipper Vendor Bazaar. I have three big boxes of tiki mugs, a Witco Bar, A Witco Daisy scuplture, a fat rack of vintage Aloha dresses and shirts, Vintage tiki postcards, Florida Kitsch, 17-inch pufferfish, glass floats, Tiki salt and peppers, lots of good exotica and Hawaiian records, three Basement Kahuna War clubs, a matching pair of 8-foot Basement Kahuna tikis, and lots more, folks! See you there! Earlybird gets the worm!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation