FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tips for Hukilau first-timers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tips for Hukilau first-timers
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 06:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-31 13:21, mfachman wrote:
My wife and I will be making the trip this year as first timers. We are very excited! I was wondering how much spending money the average person goes through for the weekend? I realize this is very subjective, but just trying to get some idea of the cost. For example how much are drinks at the hotels and at the Mai Kai?

Any help is appreciated, Thank you in advance!

Mike,
Food and beverages around the area are fair to high. The drinks at the Clipper are high end pricing. That's typical of most hotels though. There are markets nearby where you can go get some yourself and cut your costs. And look for online friends and find some room parties, bring a bottle of good rum and share the drinks with them.
So, expect to pay $7-9 a meal each. I mean, a burger and fries is gonna set you back that much with a tip. You may pay $4 for a can of beer at the Clipper deck bar, but, you can likely cut that at the Cabana bar and, like I said, you can get creative. You can spend more for food, but, you won't get a lot cheaper than that. Probably about what you'd pay locally to eat out. Booze is outrageous at the hotel, but again, that's what you expect.
And then you have the vendors. You will have some idea what you can spend and you will likely spend that plus 20% or more...
The Mai Kai has their menu online and so you can go to
www.maikai.com and know what you are paying. An extra $10 for the show. In all honesty, plan to spend $100 per person at the Mai Kai. Dinner show, dinner, drinks and a trip to the gift shop.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 07:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

Ease back cowboy ... take a deep breath you'll do fine !!!!

On 2007-04-01 21:43, mfachman wrote:
"That Mai Kai it ain't the Sodbuster Saloon."

Gosh gee whiz, I hope a don't get lost in that there big city! nice.

Very informative. Seriously, I was just looking for some info on drink prices at the Mai Kai, there is no need to insult my hometown. I hope this is not indicative of the type of people who attend this event.

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 07:52 am   Permalink

Sorry, Mai Kai drink prices are not online. Expect typical tropical drink prices of $8 and up each. Most drinks are in the $8-9 range if memory serves me well enough. Don't have a menu nearby to confirm. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Rum Barrels give the most bang for the buck, although I think many here would say the Jet Pilot is more potent. Chip and Andy say so, and so I would tend to agree. They are there a lot and Chip is handy with the jigger. I just know that Kern, the GM says the Rum Barrel is stronger.

Oh, and Happy Hour means 2 for 1 drinks in the Molokai Lounge at the Mai Kai. Both dinner shows have a happy hour, but it is only good for drinks in the Molokai. Take advantage of that and have the missus order one drink and you another and then switch on the second round so you both can try something new. And the bar is way crowded during Hukilau Happy Hour, so order a couple of drinks at a time, as you may find your glass empty and needing more before they get back to you with another order. But do not order a Shark Bit in advance. The ice shell makes that one and you don't want it to melt on you too much. But hey, you can do that one as a shooter!

As for the comment above, you can probably chalk it up to poorly executed humor and not derogatory mud slinging. No one in the tiki family is that crude that I know. You'll find out that tiki people are the nicest people. Be sure to start conversations though. That person is just waiting to meet new people if you talk to them.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 07:55 am   Permalink

To add what Swanky said, the two for one is only good on your first round. But usually thats all you need when drinking the Jet Pilot or Rum Barrel. Most page 3 drinks start from $10-12.

[ This Message was edited by: Loki 2007-04-02 07:57 ]

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 08:34 am   Permalink

Here's a Safety Tip.......

You'll all be safe this year cause the Boo's won't be there!

Enjoy !!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 07:55, Loki wrote:
To add what Swanky said, the two for one is only good on your first round.

Are you sure about that? We were there this past weekend and as I was finishing off the second drink of my 2-for-1, our dinner reservation was coming up in just a few minutes. I asked the waitress if I could order a second 2-for-1 round and she said yes, but that I'd have to finish the first one in the Molokai and take the second with me to the dining room. I didn't have time for that, so I just ordered another in the dining room.

As to the strength of the drinks, I believe the Barrel o' Rum has 4 oz of rum. My senses (or lack thereof) tell me the Jet Pilot and possibly the Black Magic have about the same.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-02 09:54 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the tips, great stuff. I overreacted to the "sodbuster" comment, mainly because it is a little too true As a matter of fact I was just down at the "grass breaker" explaining how to make a rum punch. Anyway we are very excited and the prices seem reasonable. I just couldn't find drink prices at the Mai Kai since they are not posted on the on-line menu. I haven't been to Florida since 2000 and that was Disney world.

One more question, the dress code is listed as business casual. How strict is this? Can I assume no shorts? Good luck getting me to tuck in my Hawaiian shirt.

Thanks again to all and I apologize for my overreaction.

View Profile of BigRedTiki Send a personal message to BigRedTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 10:18 am   Permalink

2 for 1 is not limited to the first round. It is for the duration of the hour, but ONLY in the Molokai Lounge.

I don't think they are strict with the dress code. I think shorts are frowned upon. Aloha wear is not. And at Hukilau it will be Aloha casual for sure, but I would not wear shorts. Khaki pants and Hawaiian shirt is fine.

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 10:18, Swanky wrote:
I don't think they are strict with the dress code. I think shorts are frowned upon. Aloha wear is not. And at Hukilau it will be Aloha casual for sure, but I would not wear shorts. Khaki pants and Hawaiian shirt is fine.

Last Hukilau was my first visit to the Mai Kai and I wore shorts. Nobody said a word about it or even looked at me funny. But I must say that I felt uncomfortable every second I was there because I felt under dressed. At one point Formikahini approached me wearing a gorgeous red gown with her hair done up as classy as could be and I felt like some idiotic frat boy in my cargo shorts and sandals.

There is no enforced dress code, so wear what you want. I'm just saying that the Mai Kai seems to command a bit of formality.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 3:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 10:25, finkdaddy wrote:
There is no enforced dress code, so wear what you want. I'm just saying that the Mai Kai seems to command a bit of formality.

"Officially" there is a dress code, business casual. But..... for Hukilau, the whole place is pretty much ours. Finkdaddy is right, though. This is a Dinner and a Show and does command a bit of formality and inspires most to wear their absolute best aloha wear.

As to drinks in the Molokai, the drinks start at $7 and go up from there. The Jet Pilot and Mai-tai are both $12, the Rum Barrel, Mutiny and Black Magic I think are $18 each. If your goal is to get the most drink for the dollar, go with the Rum Barrel or Black Magic. If your goal is to get the most 'potent' drink for your dollar go with a Jet Pilot or Shrunken Skull.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 3:10 pm   Permalink

Double post, sorry.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-04-02 15:11 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 15:10, Chip and Andy wrote:
... the Rum Barrel, Mutiny and Black Magic I think are $18 each.

Not that I want to disagree with a couple who I'm sure have financially helped to keep the Mai-Kai profitable over the last some-odd years, but I think that's $13, not $18.

Regarding dress code, people show up there all the time dressed in all sorts of ways. I'm sure the employees are used to it. But they also take notice when someone dresses up to come play in their tiki palace. My wife, kids and I pulled into valet recently and when we got out of the car, one of the attendents smiled and said "You guys look perfect!" And another time I was there, one of the long-time waiters commented to me about how much he liked my aloha shirt. When you dress the part there, it adds to the whole magical atmosphere of the place. (Lots of rum helps too.)

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:
Mike ... your going to have a good time ... bring some some block and a poncho ...cause those 3 o'clock rains are going to come down !!!!
On 2007-04-02 09:54, mfachman wrote:
Thanks for all the tips, great stuff. I overreacted to the "sodbuster" comment, mainly because it is a little too true As a matter of fact I was just down at the "grass breaker" explaining how to make a rum punch. Anyway we are very excited and the prices seem reasonable. I just couldn't find drink prices at the Mai Kai since they are not posted on the on-line menu. I haven't been to Florida since 2000 and that was Disney world.

One more question, the dress code is listed as business casual. How strict is this? Can I assume no shorts? Good luck getting me to tuck in my Hawaiian shirt.

Thanks again to all and I apologize for my overreaction.

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 12:25 pm   Permalink

I have a feeling this is going to be a fun year...except for no Boobams. More booze for me!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-05 12:30 pm   Permalink

PAPER WALLETS FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!

No Boobam Ben means paper wallets are safe this year, and the rum supply should last twice as long.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation