Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Skully's #4- Resin Casting
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 1:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-11 21:32, Tikidav wrote:
Hey Skully,

...Can I ask how long it takes you to carve a piece like Kootchie-Ku for example? I've been spending 30-40 hours on a carving. Of course carving Tikis is fun, but I'd like to be able to get them done quicker. Sometimes they get made up as I go. Probably why it takes so long.

Also, what 3-D program did you use to do your line layouts? They look really good.

Thanks, and keep up the awesome work!

Sorry for the delay in answering Tikidav- I missed your post:

Koochie-Ku probably took about 10-12 hours in pre-planning (sketching and 3D) and maybe around 40 hours to carve- broken up into 30min to 3 hr sessions at a time.. I really don't like sanding, so I've left him pretty rough. Staining/varnishing lasts about 2 weeks with drying time between coats.

I use Cinema 4D, but any basic 3D program could do this- it's just a cylinder shape with a Photoshopped image mapped around it to get an idea of the final look.. One day I may actually model a tiki in 3D.

---------------------------------

Ok- So here is the latest project.. Learning how to cast in resin. I decided to make a FOM pendant to learn the casting process.. The brown one is the original (made with plasticine/Sculptey), and the off-white one is the resin casted piece.. Anyone who's done any casting can probably see all the mistakes I made on this first one! There's about 5 things I will do better next time.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-26 9:01 pm   Permalink

No worries, Skully! Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who spends 40+ hours on a carving. It shows in your work though. How else could your carvings get to such a high level without putting in a lot of time!

I'm doing some computer work using Z-Brush. Nothing worth posting at this point though.

Your silicone mold looks great, only you could have boxed it up a bit smaller and saved yourself a few bucks. Silicone=$$$$$! What are the 5 things you said you would do better?

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 09:30 am   Permalink

It goes back to the old saying- Haste makes waste.. I should have spent more time on the Original and thought it through a bit more. Guess excitement to do it got the best of me (once again!). I'd like a cleaner, better master, but something tells me I'd never be completely happy with it anyways.

Since this is a one-sided mold, I should have made the master thicker than necessary- that way I could control the copy's thickness with the resin pouring. The pendant isn't as thick/deep as I wanted..

I need a scale for mixing the silicone.. I had to go with a strict measurement provided by the manufacturer or risk an improper ratio. I also didn't want to risk not having mixed enough- should do a displacement test for correct amount. Same with the resin- I made over twice the amount I needed.

Overall I lucked out for my first time- no issues with air bubbles in the mold or the resin copy.. But the design is pretty basic with no undercuts.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 09:35 am   Permalink

alright, thats awsome!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 10:57 am   Permalink

Skully, Your resin Moai is great. If there are issues, they are picky-picky ones, overall you did a great job, better than almost everyone for the first cast. I Knew you could Do It!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-27 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-27 09:30, Capt'n Skully wrote:
I'd like a cleaner, better master, but something tells me I'd never be completely happy with it anyways.
The pendant isn't as thick/deep as I wanted..

It's a great Moai, Skully! Take the best resin casting you've got, sand it as smooth as you like, patch any flaws with epoxy putty, put some more meat on the back and remold it. I do it all the time with my stuff.

Quote:

I need a scale for mixing the silicone.. I had to go with a strict measurement provided by the manufacturer or risk an improper ratio.

Yes, for sure get a scale. In my experience with mixing silicone, if you are a little bit off it's not going to matter. A little too much catalyst means it will set a little quicker, a little less, a little slower. Just make sure you're not TOO far off or else bad things will happen (sets before you're done pouring, or never sets at all). I use a triple beam balance.

Quote:

I also didn't want to risk not having mixed enough- should do a displacement test for correct amount. Same with the resin- I made over twice the amount I needed.

If you find that you didn't mix enough silicone, you can mix more and pour it right on top. It's best if this is done while the previous batch is still goopey. After more experience with it, you will be able to eyeball about how much silicone it takes to fill any size mold, and how much resin it takes to fill a mold. I like to have extra molds on hand so in case I've got too much resin, rather than throw it away, I'll just fill up those molds as well with what's left. You can also fill a mold with more than one resin batch if you did not mix enough. (Not as desireable as getting it on the first shot, but it still works!)

I hope this is helpfull to you, Cap'n!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation