Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Sweet and Sour Saga of the Mai Tai
The Sweet and Sour Saga of the Mai Tai
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-03 6:54 pm   Permalink

Not sure if posted yet, but enjoyed this article on the history of the mai tai while island hopping on Aloha Airlines. They serve one mean mai
tai at La Mariana, not so much at Don The Beachcombers in Kona.

http://www.spiritofaloha.com/features/0906/maitai.html

Aloha,
Scott

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-10-04 10:11 am   Permalink

Excellent article, and very interesting. I'm, for some reason, always suspicious of Arnold and Phoebe- if they were so concerned with historical accuracy, why is their book so sloppy and riddled with mistakes.

But I'll say this- Perhaps you noticed in the article which bartender that Trader Vic's CEO Hand Richter entrusted to make the perfect Mai Tai for the author. If you'd like the perfect Mai Tai, made by the same bartender, all you have to do is come see Jim at Forbidden Island.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thinkingbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-04 10:29 am   Permalink

"why is their book so sloppy and riddled with mistakes."

Some people just aren't good at writing books, it is not as easy as people might assume. Plenty of books are riddled with mistakes; there are a few in Doctor Cocktails book so I see. So no-one is immune, not even the best.

View Profile of thinkingbartender Send a personal message to thinkingbartender  Email thinkingbartender Goto the website of thinkingbartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-10-04 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-04 10:29, thinkingbartender wrote:
"why is their book so sloppy and riddled with mistakes."

Some people just aren't good at writing books, it is not as easy as people might assume. Plenty of books are riddled with mistakes; there are a few in Doctor Cocktails book so I see. So no-one is immune, not even the best.

Well, there's no excuse for "shake at medium speed".

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-19 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-03 18:54, senioraqua wrote:

http://www.spiritofaloha.com/features/0906/maitai.html

I couldn't get to the link, the webpage flipped to a generic front page.

I was actually looking to post about some info I found and I kinda like the title of this thread for it, so excuse me, senioraqua, as I usurp your thread.

In my travels, I came across a 1982 publication for the American Bartenders School, their Drink and Spirits Guide, by Jack Tiano. At the cost of one dollar, it was worth purchasing for laughs. Until I was stopped dead by the entry for The Mai Tai. It's all in black (well, pencil grey) and white. Read it and weep, kids:

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 11:33 am   Permalink

Gaaahhh!!!! My eyes!

You gotta put some kind of warning on this post, someone's gonna hurt themselves!

Poor Mai Tai, you take such abuse at the hands of 'professionals.'

I still love you.

No matter what they do to you, I still love you.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 4:19 pm   Permalink

Seems all self-important-like to quote myself but...

Quote:

On 2008-01-29 06:59, GatorRob wrote:
Are they going to tell us once again to put everything in a blender and shake?

I'm still baffled at "shake at medium speed".

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation