[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic Macadamia liquor
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Trader Vic Macadamia liquor
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 2:42 pm   Permalink

Hi all, I have just finished up our last bottle and can't seem to find it anywhere. I tried the local bev Mo yesterday and they said it was discontinued. Anyone know of an online site or a local place in southern CA that carries it? Thanks in advance for the help

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 3:02 pm   Permalink

I tasted this at TV in Emeryville two days ago, but they had none for sale and didn't expect to have any soon. Our BevMo no longer carries it either, but they do have a Kahana Royale Macadamia Nut Liqueur that is currently sold out on the BevMo website, but my local BevMo store has a few bottles. The BevMo website can tell you how many bottles are in stock at your closest store.

Good luck and let us know if you find a resource for it.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 3:28 pm   Permalink

The scoop I heard on TV Mac Liquor is that TV decided not to distribute it anywhere on the mainland. You can get it at their restaurants, but no longer in any beverage store. But, if you happen to be going to any of the Hawaiian islands, Longs Drugs stocks it. We should find a local who can package it up and ship it to the mainland.

I have about half a bottle left from my last trip, and am hoping to get at least one additional bottle on my trip to Maui this November. I will check around to see if there are any distributors who might ship to the mainland. I don't think it would be cheap, though. I asked Longs if they can transfer a few bottles to my local Longs store, but they said they couldn't due to some liquor laws.

Good Luck!

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 7:30 pm   Permalink

thanks JenTiki and Tikiwinebear, Its weird I found a few sites that used to carry it, nolonger. And Bev mo told me TV discontinued it. I appreciate the help. I will continue to hunt and if I find some will let you know...

If anyone else has any update, please let me know, thanks again

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-10-04 8:18 pm   Permalink

This is a long story, but I did speak with the manufacturer and with Vic's, and it seems it's still being made, but for TV's in-house use only right now. Which is absurd.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-04 20:18, martiki wrote:
This is a long story, but I did speak with the manufacturer and with Vic's, and it seems it's still being made, but for TV's in-house use only right now. Which is absurd.

thanks Martiki, After searching for 2 days on yahoo search, a google search brought up this site
http://www.internetwines.com they had it and it said in stock. I order 3, not even sure if this can go bad, but better to have it now that I know that it is scare. I have used it in the mahi mahi recipe as well....good stuff.

Amy

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 4:09 pm   Permalink

Just FYI - I checked out several Longs today on Oahu, and only found TV Mac Liqueur at one store in Kaneohe, and they only had 3 bottles (now 2). Other Longs may still carry it, as the liquor selection varies wildly from store to store. Most Longs do carry the Kahana brand, so you will not be shut out when you take that Hawaiian vacation. The best Oahu Longs for booze: Kahala Mall (where you used to be able to run in to Jack Lord back in the day). Aloha.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-16 12:16 am   Permalink

What is the approximate price that a bottle of TV's Macadamia should cost? I think I saw one here locally, but it was over $25 a bottle.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-16 12:41 pm   Permalink

Kona Chris - I paid $22 on Oahu last week. First time I've tried the Mac liqueur - definitely sweet and boozy, but not much of a macadamia taste to me. Straight, it reminds me a lot of Kahlua, but I will try it in some of the drink recipes listed in an earlier thread.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 10:23 pm   Permalink

Well, I was in Las Vegas this past weekend, and made it to one of the Lee's Discount Liquors, which looks like the Costco of liquor stores inside. They had a ton of the TV's Macadamia nut liquor, and for the bargain price of $20.99 a bottle. I didn't get any, as I was already spending enough on rum (FINALLY found Lemon Heart, at $23.99 a bottle. Ick.) Gosling's Black Seal was $9.99 a bottle though! I wish I had bought 4 bottles instead of 2.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-25 03:47 am   Permalink

This will only be helpful for a few people, but I was in Castle Rock, Colorado last weekend and Bubble's Liquor World carries it. I picked up two bottles and even managed to get them home in my checked luggage without breakage!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 2:50 pm   Permalink

Yesterday, I (very unexpectedly) found TV's Macadamia Liqueur in Dallas at Beverage Depot, a discount store I frequent, for $16.99/750ml. I bought one, but haven't opened, yet. I bought some Kahana Royale years ago, while in Hawaii. I believe that was the first brand of macadamia nut liqueur. I remember it being rather good, with a distinctive flavor of the nut. It'll be disappointing if the TV brand doesn't have much macadamia flavor, as Koolau thought.
Considering the apparent rarity and prices mentioned in earlier posts, I may oughta plan on securing another bottle or two, asap, before the store discontinues it. Assuming, that is, it passes the taste test.

UPDATE:
Well, I've tried the Trader Vic's Macadamia Liqueur, and I believe that Koolau is right about not enough macadamia flavor. It doesn't measure up to what I remember the Kahana Royale tasting like. Not bad, mind you, just not what it should be.
However, It'd be great if anyone has both brands and could comment on a side by side test. I'm working off of a years-ago memory of the Kahana Royale, and would hate to think I'm bad-mouthing the TV brand, when it's really my aging taste buds that're off!

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2006-11-28 06:15 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nitropic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 5:39 pm   Permalink

Just found this gift pack at a local (MA) liquor store, they had more if anyone needs a hook up I'll see what I can do.

[ This Message was edited by: nitropic 2006-11-26 17:39 ]

View Profile of nitropic Send a personal message to nitropic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nitropic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-02 1:28 pm   Permalink

WOW, this stuff sold out in less than a week, and in central MA to boot!

View Profile of nitropic Send a personal message to nitropic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-17 10:26 am   Permalink

An interesting dessert recipe for this stuff.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11882&forum=10&start=last&7

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation