FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-04 7:41 pm   Permalink

I'm too lazy to find the other thread of stuff and I think many of the photos are gone anyway...so I'll start a new one!

I think most of you have seen these but I'll post them anyway.

This is a pendant I did for the Sams Seafood last hurrah. It's based on the sam's seafood logo tiki:

I cast something like 52 of these and hand painted them all.

This is another pendant that is based on an awesome carving by (chiki)tikidiablo owned by mr. and mrs bongofury that resides at their most beautiful home tiki bar The Rincon Room. It was made for the re-opening celebration for the Rincon Room on ITD august 12. (I just noticed the date in the photo is wrong...doh!)

I cast 25 of these for the celebration, all hand painted and numbered. Unfortunatley not everyone was able to purchase one of these who wanted one, so I started on another run. (message to those on the list - I've run into some plastic difficulties, but they should be done soon and I do appreciate your patience I'll be sending out an email shortly about what you would like to do) Sorry, but they're all spoken for.

This is a recent-ish redwood carving based on an old coco-joe tiki trinket:

and finally I've been spending the majority of my time playing with my balls:

Thanks for looking!

more to come....

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2012-04-26 11:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2012-04-26 11:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2012-05-17 13:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2013-06-10 14:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: polynesiac 2013-07-03 18:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2013-07-03 18:09 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-04 7:46 pm   Permalink

Very cool stuff! It's always a pleasure to see something new from you.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 05:04 am   Permalink

YES, It's about time we see some of your top shelf stuff, It's been a Long time. Be seein ya' soon.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 5:27 pm   Permalink

Wow, Man! Lookin' good! That carving is top notch! Still got to have me one...

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 7:40 pm   Permalink

Really nice work Polynesiac, let me know if you make any more pendants available. I love Coco Joe's stuff! I have a small collection of it in my studio. They had some very talented sculptors making their stuff, the detail is incredible.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 7:44 pm   Permalink

nice stuff polynesiac. thanks for sharing.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 3:41 pm   Permalink

Always enjoy seeing your work. Thanks for showing more.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 3:49 pm   Permalink

Those pieces are too COOL for SCHOOL!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2006-10-08 5:56 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the kind words!

Finky - thanks, bro I hope you're enjoying Hukilau. Looks like you got resin casting down. PM if ya gots any ????'s

Ben, yes too long. Carving has (unfortunately) taken the backburner to all the lights. I'm REALLY looking forward to the carving seminar (party). THanks for the kind words

Kahaka - you da man!!! you're in San Jose?!?!?! I didn't realize that. My mother in law lives up there and we go up sorta frequently. We'll have to hook up for a drink sometime!

Paipo - thanks, bro. I'ma big fan of your stone work, great carvings. I'd be honored to have one of my pendants not only fly to NZ, but be a part of your collection. I, too, love Coco Joe tikis. I've downloaded as many pictures of the different ones as I can find. I try and infuse their play/take on tikis in my work as much as possible.

Pdrake - thank you, I think I'll be seeing you soon, no? I'm looking forward to it!

8ft - Thanks my man! you carve up anything over the summer?

LLT - THANK GOD. 'caus I didn't want to pay for university for these guys! thanks for the inspiration!! - I guess I missed you up at the Bahooka the other night, but I saw your paintings and they are fantastic!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 06:12 am   Permalink

Kool stuff man, very nice.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 06:49 am   Permalink

Great Tiki carvings, thanks for sharing.
I wish I had that talent....Mahalo!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 08:14 am   Permalink

Those pendants are tops! Great works!!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2006-12-16 09:48 am   Permalink

Aloha!! and thanks for the encouragement. More pendants on the way, but I thought I'd show a little bit of what I've been up to.

I'm just about done with my "Kaiku" lamp, short for "Kaikua'ana" which means older sibling (of the same sex, so in this case older brother). It's a rather late birthday present, so i want to shoot it out as soon as possible. The first shot is of it all lit up with a temporary shade, that will be sent with the lamp until the real shade is done. My brother works as a lawyer in Dallas, and has all sorts of balanese/south pacific masks and art in his office. He told me this one was going to sit on his desk.

The next image is a close up of the carving - if you look at the base you can see the carved/painted name and some designs along the side.

I've always been obsessed with getting my carvings as near perfect to my vision as possible and that eats up a ton of time, especially when I NEVER achieve that goal. I'm always taking a little more off here or there or whatever. Plus, I give myself only an hour a day after work and a few over the weekend to carve, which means the more anal I am, the less I get done. So as I was carving some pendants, I decided to do a "quick carve". I gave myself 30 minutes (which is still too long in my mind - but MUCH shorter than usual), a small scrap of rosewood, no pencil for lines and nothing to look at. Here's what happened:

Not bad. not great, but not bad either. I was done carving the tiki in about 20 minutes, so I had a little extra time to add some of those chin lines and scallops at the crown. I think I'm going to cast him and see how he looks as a resin pendant.

And this is what really eats up the majority of my carving time:

My Balls!!!! This was a completed order for a company that outfits tiki bars, located in whittier. Soon, you will be able to see, touch, fondle AND purchase my balls from the same establishment. Tea bags are extra. These 12" diameter globes are heading down to a rather well known tiki establishment in Atlanta Georgia. I've changed how I play with my balls and cut (ouch!) a 4" hole and frost the inside, rather than the outside. This way they can fit regular sized light bulbs. In case you're wondering, they were ordered without electrics.

THanks for looking!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 1:31 pm   Permalink

Nice stuff, it's great to see some new work from you.
You should go pro with your carvings - they really are some of the nicest I've seen, but in the meantime I'll make do with your occasional postings. Please keep me in the loop with the pendants!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-16 1:39 pm   Permalink

Yo Poly, That lamp is Really Tight, what a Lucky Brother. Excellent quality as usual with a little cleaner detail. (Hook knife used more??)
Your 30 minute tiki is really good too, that Rosewood is pretty wood and Very hard.
Ofcourse your Balls are the Best. A Company in Whittier huh? Wonder who that could be??
Thanks Poly!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation