FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki Carving Ľ Ľ Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 7:48 pm   Permalink

Poly, Nicce Stuff, you gonna do more?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-22 09:36 am   Permalink

Thanks my friends for the nice comments on the non-tiki haida carving. I do apologize about the tardiness of my replies.

conga, seeks - thanks guys! when I thought about posting this, I hoped the 2 of you would stop by! The entire pacific rim has some amazing artistic styles. I'd like to try my hand at all of them one day. Thank you very much for your kind responses.

Freddie - thanks bro! how's the little tang doin?

Queen K - thank you for the post. After I painted it up, it just looked too bright, fresh and new! I think the aging makes it look more authentic and original. I'm glad you feel the same way!

Lake, Matt - thanks for stopping by. I too think it's good to dabble here and there. I believe it helps you grow not only as an artist, but as an individual as well.

Ben - great to hear from you! I hope to carve some more. I think I'll wait on the totems for a bit, but there are lots of great designs of orcas, salmon and whales I'd like to try my hand at. The North Coast art really reminds me of Maori designs. Not, of course, with the subject matter, but in the attention to detail and the symbolic meanings of the figures.

The auction folks still haven't told me how much it went for, but they did say that it was one of the few auction items that had multiple bids! That makes me feel good!

Thanks everyone for stopping by and taking a peek into my carving world!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 10:03 am   Permalink

I'm late to the party here but I do want to say I am loving this piece!! Rock On Jim!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 1:13 pm   Permalink

Nice carve Poly!

I did a couple of American Indian pieces a long time ago and I found that it didn't seem all that much different than what we usually do.

Let's see more!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-01 4:01 pm   Permalink

Dude, Sweet!!!

View Profile of VonTiki Send a personal message to VonTiki  Email VonTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-11-16 10:32 am   Permalink

Howdy!
Itís been a while since my last post and thought I would throw up a few images of some of the tikis Iíve done since 2009!

Weíll start way back at my donation for Mariepalooza, I carved this one from a 4x4 redwood scrap:

Backside:

The tiki was based on the tiki from the awesome flier Doug Horne put together for the event. Anybody know who got it?

Next weíll head over to a mask that I donated to another fund raiser:

The mask you may have seen before, I carved it a while ago basing it on the face of the tiki that graces the grounds of the Hanalei hotel in San Diego. I thought it needed a frame and I think it looks much better.

Next up, we have two Hawaiian based tikis. Iím not sure if I ever shared this one, but I carved it a while ago for my neighbor. He wanted to keep it without stain, so it would turn that cool light grey color as it weathered outdoors.

The second Hawaiian style tiki Iíve shared before, but not in itís finished state:

Iím honored that this one was added to the collection of two well-known tikicentralites.

This is a sign I made for the Gilligans Island art show a ways back:

Iím (very) slowly moving into the direction of carving more signs, rather than the big palm tikis. Iím not sure what happened to this piece.

I still make lights on occasion, and this is the most recent style that Iíve been working on:

I call this one my ďBeachcomberĒ lamps.

I had the pleasure and honor of carving and casting the official event pendant for the incredible Rincon Roomís Adventure in Paradise party:

This was a really fun and challenging pendant for me to do. It was the first time that I casted pendants with negative space (the opening between the arms). I think it came out looking pretty swanky. Each one is hand painted and has twine around the base. I think I only made 50 of these.

These next couple of shots are of the most recent things Iíve completed. The first is a tangaroa style table lamp.

Heís carved from a 4x4 redwood scrap with a redwood scrap base. As he is the fishermanís god, I carved fish on the side of the base (canít see that in the pictures), and put some fishing netting in his hands (with little cork floats!) as though he was about to enter the water to catch dinner. I also thought it would be neat to add a ďglassĒ fishing float to the net and make it light up! Hereís a closup of the lighted fishing float:

The lighted fishing float is on a separate circuit from the main lamp and has a battery powered LED in it that can be turned on and off from a switch in the back.

The last photo is a work in progress photo of my new carving space:

My wife and I bought our first house about a year ago and we are finally just settling in. Boxes are finally gone and the garage is getting a proper tiki makeover, as is our guest bedroom and yard (which is currently all concrete that will be removed very soon!). Itís slow going, but it will be done eventually.

Mahalo for peeking in and be on the lookout for this years tiki holiday ornaments right after thanksgiving!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 11:49 am   Permalink

Wow great update! Everything is looking awesome. And congrats on the new house...post some pics of the TIKI makeover when complete!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Keylo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-16 1:29 pm   Permalink

Crazy good stuff!!

View Profile of Keylo Send a personal message to Keylo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 3:09 pm   Permalink

Nice Mr. Jim, Nice!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 3:15 pm   Permalink

Have always enjoyed your carving style - great stuff!

& I am LOVING that lamp with the little light up fish float!!! All kinds of AWESOME!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 3:41 pm   Permalink

All top notch work Jim.

You've got one of my favorite carving styles, and I've always admired your work.
A taste of classic "Kona Style" carving and a real eye for finishing, which gives your work a wonderful aged look.

Great variety in your pieces, and great sign work! I have always enjoyed making signs also, they are a nice break from carving idols, and don't take up as much room when you're working on them!

The Tangaroa lamp is really something special. Not only a well carved idol, but the addition of the light up float is awesome. A well thought out "theme" piece that is so much more then just a tiki.

Congrats on the house, and have fun with all the remodel work! Looking forward to your future work!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

Nice work. They all look good but that lamp kicks ass.

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 8:52 pm   Permalink

Very much like the castings Polynesiac-that seems like it would be a fun process. I have to agree with the rest the fisherman lamp is a 10.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-17 03:20 am   Permalink

Simply Brilliant Works....All of them!

Thanks for sharing and Welcome back!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-17 04:48 am   Permalink

wow man!

very cool!

that little tiki bar deal you've got going is killer.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation