FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-05-17 1:20 pm   Permalink

Thought I would share a PNG carving I did recently. This is my first foray into the art of shield carving and I based mine (actually pretty much copied the design) from Meyer's oceanic art book. This is based on the Solomon shield carved from wood. Mine is routed/carved from a recycled shelf that was in our collections room down at the aquarium. I painted it with water based acrylic and paint pens, and stained with a nice water based stain. I forget what color. Walnut, probably.

Here it is:

Thanks for looking!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-17 1:52 pm   Permalink

Poly that is just beautiful. What others are in the works? Your art always looks authentic and with exotic twists thrown in. Very nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-17 4:36 pm   Permalink

Nice foray! I'll someday do the same! Great to see a veteran still here and posting!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-17 5:10 pm   Permalink

Nice indeed,you did a great on both the carving and the colors. Polynesiac
is back!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2012-05-17 6:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks for stopping by, friends! It's good to be carving a little here and there between other projects and that little thing that gets in the way of fun building stuff called work.

Thanks for the kind words, mctiki! More lamps in the "respect" series...I think Leroy will be next.

Surfin I'm looking forward to seeing what cool carvings you'll produce when you do a PNG shield!

Conga - you are Mr. PNG in my book, so I appreciate your comments. you and Lake have been producing so many beautiful PNG carvings, I just had to try my hand at a few. Glad you like this one!

I enjoyed using the router to carve and have a few posts to design for my backyard. Hopefully I'll get to them in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 2:02 pm   Permalink

Nice one! I see you're from the 'if it's wood carve it' school as well. I've got something made from an old bookshelf knocking around too, will post it sometime...

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 6:07 pm   Permalink

a shelf! I love it!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-22 1:48 pm   Permalink

This thread definitely deserves a bump. Great tikis.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2013-06-10 2:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks friends! (and thanks for the "bump" Hale!)

I cut down a tree in my front yard and used part of the stump to see if I could carve a tiki in an hour! I made a minute long youtube timelapse of the entire carving!

You can watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv30Tsk4E2o

I'd like to see someone do a timelapse of a mug being sculpted. I think that would be cool!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 7:56 pm   Permalink

Haha, Nice! I take it that it wasn't an oak or some other similarly hard wood.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 8:06 pm   Permalink

that's a very productive and impressive hour!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-10 9:58 pm   Permalink

Great video Poly. Love your choice of soundtrack ~ "lift a hula skirt with me"?

VanTiki has done several time lapse videos of mugs,
here is one of them.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 02:49 am   Permalink

Takes me an hour just to get my tools out! Nice tiki...

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2013-06-11 11:26 am   Permalink

Thanks for watching! It was fun to make. I think I will do a "regular" length tiki carving timelapse from start to finish next.

Big T - Yes! Not sure what type of wood it is, but it is soft and cracks like a mo-fo. I was thinking it's rubbertree based on the leaves, but I really have no idea.

Skoo - thanks! some hours are productive, others...not so much! It was really more of a challenge to see if I could actually do it.

MDM - thank you! I love that song too - it's a fun mix of musical styles. I love it when bands from one genre of music cover songs from a completely different genre and mix things up a bit. Thanks for the heads up about the Vantiki movies! I love them!!!

Amate - True dat! I'm loving this indoor workspace. Before I had that, I would spend the majority of my "carving" time setting up and cleaning up.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

Polynesiac

Posted: 2013-07-03 6:08 pm   Permalink

Hiya tiki peeps!

I got the awesome honor of carving a tiki for a GEICO commercial that is airing on the Sundance cable channel!

It was part of a GEICO campaign of seeing what else you could do in 15 minutes while you wait for your insurance quote. There are some other really great ones in the series too, but I'm a little partial to the tiki carving one!

Check it out here:

http://vimeo.com/68337241

Oh yeah! and it was filmed in my home tiki workshop Inspiration Point

Mahalo for looking!!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2013-07-03 18:08 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation