FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki rejected by the cool kids
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
rejected by the cool kids
Rum Numb Davey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 12:59 pm   Permalink

I recently contacted the BH site and requested to be allowed on the forum. I was simply curious, and like to read various postings on tiki-related subjects.
I was rejected with the following reply:

After much deliberation, the moderators of Bali HiJinks feel that the
atmosphere of BH would not appeal to you.
Therefore, we regretfully decline your request at this time.
Thank you for your interest.

I am not upset, nor do I have any axe to grind with anyone of the mysterious moderators, who decided my online participation fate. Frankly, it won't make or enhance my fondness for Tiki culture either way.

What does annoy me is the PC manner of my rejection. How do they know what would appeal to me or not? Absurd reasoning at best, and it again reeks of wannabe elitism. The most ridiculous notion in tiki culture is what I call the coaster nostra. This sense of self-importance in this goofy fetish of ours that celebrates drinking and escapism. I don't care if a person is an author, musician, craftsman, mixologist or master ceramic sculptor. The down their Mai Tais one sip at a time like the rest of us plebes.

You wanna belong..join the Elks, Masonic Lodge, or Boy Scouts. Tiki is for all God's children...Hell, we jacked it from the Island Folk of the South Pacific! The one reason I really like TC is that every point is projected. Closest thing to a Tikiocracy fools like me have to get on my soapbox.

I have no rights to be on BH website...I don't think I am entitled in anyway. I just like when people don't posture with bs and pc diatribes. No sour grapes fox here..not the first time I was rejected by the cool kids. In 7th Grade, my mom could not buy me canvas nikes and Izod shirts. I had toughskins and chuck taylors...the nerds were funner anyway. We had pot and D&D.

View Profile of Rum Numb Davey Send a personal message to Rum Numb Davey  Email Rum Numb Davey Goto the website of Rum Numb Davey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 3:10 pm   Permalink

When I was in fifth grade I wanted a pair of "OP" corduroy shorts so bad - all the cool kids had them! They were too expensive for my family at the time - so my mom took me to Sears where she bought me a pair of knock offs. The only problem was, no little white "OP" stiched on the bottom of the shorts! I pointed this out - and mom says, "Don't worry - I'll take care of it."

She hand stitched an "OP" where it was supposed to go. "But Mom," I said. "The kids will all know!" "No they won't - don't be silly", was her reply.

The first day I wore them to class, some kid looked at my shorts and said "Hey! FAKE OP SHORTS!!!!"

I was not a "cool kid" for the rest of the year.

Oh yeah - Balihijinks really isn't about Tiki culture persay...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 3:27 pm   Permalink

I remember wanting a "Members Only" jacket sooo bad for Christmas, but my parents bought me a knock-off. EVERYONE noticed. I think it was even called "Membership Required" or something really dumb like that.

I also, was not a "cool kid" for the rest of the year.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 3:29 pm   Permalink

heh, i had fake op shorts, too. same deal.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 3:45 pm   Permalink

OP shorts? Who would want Other People's shorts!?

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-05 3:48 pm   Permalink

Once, when I was in highschool, I accidentally wore a tube top with a bra, and a fake pair of Dolphin shorts. Everyone noticed and I was definitely not popular for the rest of the year.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-10-05 15:48 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 3:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-05 15:45, tikigreg wrote:

I'm guessing you were born in 1987.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 3:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-05 15:48, Tangaroa wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-10-05 15:45, tikigreg wrote:

I'm guessing you were born in 1987.

No, I was born before then. Was that the year OP shorts were banned?

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 4:02 pm   Permalink

Jeez, rum, that's a kooky story. You don't really want to be a member of a "club" run by a bunchastuck-up silly jerks/dopey nuts, do ya?

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 4:03 pm   Permalink

I ruined a couple OP shirts because I put zit cream on first then put the shirt on and the benzoyl peroxide bleached the collar area.

So my vain attempt to be one of the cool kids failed.

But then I became one of the coolest kids around and was into U2 and had a rat tail hairstyle. But my area wasn't cool, so I got teased for that. Seriously, I was mocked by the football team for liking U2. I bet that they spent hundreds of dollars to see them on their last tour.

I'm always ahead of my time. So sad.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 4:07 pm   Permalink

Oh, I get it. "Old People" shirts and shorts. 'Cause it was kewl to look like an old person when you were a kid.

MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 4:11 pm   Permalink

What about the first time you tried turning the collar up on your "Le Tigre". So UN-COOL!!!

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 4:14 pm   Permalink

Did you all have oxford shirts with "fag tags" on the back?

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 4:16 pm   Permalink

I wore my 'Garanimals' shirt and pants to school once, I was decidely not cool.

Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-05 4:27 pm   Permalink

I spent quite a lot of time with my friends memorizing lines from Monty Python movies.

Decidedly not cool.

..sbim

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation