FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki polynesia americana museum of polynesian pop. exhibit design project
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
polynesia americana museum of polynesian pop. exhibit design project
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-06 4:38 pm   Permalink

Hi all, I am embarking on a year long project that might be of interest to some of you. I have been accepted into the University of Washington Museum Studies certificate program. The program is one year . I plan on doing all of my class projects based on the concept of a Tiki Museum that for now I will call Polynesia Americana museum of poynesian pop. By the time I graduate I will be qualified to work in all aspects of a museum including; exhibits, collections, archives, grant writing,education and managemant. My goal is to have a comprehensive map for an actual Tiki Museum in one year. I hope that my enthusiasm and excitement is contageous and that you enjoy seeing the concept come togeather. Feel free with thoughts and ideas, I have a pretty good vision already going but I dont know everything. The first place to start is the mission statement. every museum has one its what guides them on their day to day operations.
POLYNESIA AMERICANA MISSION STATEMENT
" the mission of Polynesia Americana is to invite visitors to indulge in the experience of mid-century Polynesian culture associated with leisure and recreation. Through exhibits and collections with corresponding education the museum of Polynesian Pop will convey the importance of this form of American Folk art.
Spanning eighty years of history the museum will provide memories for the old and inspire the new. With an emphasis on conservation of artifacts and sites the museum hopes to ensure the survival of tiki culture for future generations.
The museum buildings and tropical gardens will host ongoing social and informative events to entertain the community and attract visitors from all parts of the world. With our full schedule of events we will generate the finances needed to maintain and expand facilities, staff, education, and collections."

I will update this post as projects are assigned and I complete the homework. just think this could actually happen in the near future Maybe this is even my purpose, well for now at lest. Dawn

[ This Message was edited by: sophista-tiki 2006-10-07 06:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sophista-tiki 2007-02-05 08:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2007-06-17 13:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sophista-tiki 2007-07-23 12:19 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-09 10:10 am   Permalink

What a cool way to get credit for drinking Mai Tais!

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 4:56 pm   Permalink

A BA in Tiki - love it.

Of Course, make sure you get the connection with the Bishop Museum.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 4:59 pm   Permalink

You may wish to spend some time at UCLA at the Easter Island Statute Project under the direction of Dr. Joanne Van Tilburg.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/ioa/eisp/index.htm

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 2:31 pm   Permalink

Bula, Bula
Heres an update on Polynesia American.
There has been a lot of tedious subjects covered in Museum basics and education. Things like how to set up the museum as an organization and who will run things and be in charge of various department's. I would at some point like to make a governing body consisting of maybe 8 board members. If anyone wants to participate let me know. Remember that for now we are just playing. But with some creative and dedicated people this could turn int reality.

Anyway, I did write one paper that You might find interesting. Its about my grandpa's art box. The assignment was to choose an object that has some personal significance and illustrate whether or not it belongs in a museum. This would be an object that could belong in Polynesia Americana's collections.
My Grandpa's art Box
I am probably the only person in my family who considers my Grandpa's art box to be of any significance. the box , originally purchased in the 6o"s was painted by my Grandpa, Vernon Frasier in 1967. The scenedepicts a black sand beach on the big island of Hawaii, which was covered by a lava flow in 1960. Vernon traveled frequently to the islands, fully participating in the mid-century lure of exotic Polynesia. When my Grandpa died in the early 70's the box passed to my Mom Carol.

Carol Doyle Frasier was a well know Montana artist and teacher. She used the box to carry her paints to various places around the Montana mountains while teaching her painting classes. In the early 90'she died suddenly f as the result of a bizarre accident.

I waited ten years before asking my dad for the box, it was really the only thing I wanted. To me the box is so significant that I display it as a piece of art. I think that the painting on the box and my Grandpa's interest in Polynesia was my earliest influence to becoming a Tiki artist. Since acquiring the box I have added some of my own art, including tapa designs which I am known for and one of my own Tikis. I can see how this box and its story would be an interesting addition to the collections of Polynesia Americana. There are several exhibit scenarios I can think of where my Grandpa's art box could illustrate a particular aspect of Polynesian pop American Folk Art.

I'm sure some of you have even better personal objects that carry the memories that link you to a family members past interest in Tiki or Hawaiiana. I have about thirty Exhibit ideas already going. and of course part of the modern museum is about sharing with other museums, resources information and exhibits.

Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 3:44 pm   Permalink

Christiki295 - my read is that Dawn's interested in tiki pop culture, not actual Polynesian culture or artifacts. I've got a moai mug right here on my desk, and it has about as much relation to actual Rapa Nui culture as Burger King does to the House of Windsor.

Dawn - your goal seems noble and I wish you all the best, but is it even possible to seriously study Polynesian Pop in a modern university? Have you received resistance from university groups telling you Poly Pop was the result of a racist culture and is disrespectful of Noble Island Cultures? I hope the answer is no, but I would doubt it. I remember reading several times about mainland universities having luaus shut down by protesters because they "disrespect the Hawaiian culture". If university groups get their malos in a twist about a simple, happy luau, they must go nuts about taking Poly Pop seriously.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 4:18 pm   Permalink

I think there may be some misunderstanding here. What I am going to school for is museum studies. What I choose to base my museum on is entirely up to me. The fact is, there are all kinds of museums big and small. There is even a gopher hole museum somewhere in Canada. The teachers of this program don't really care what the subject of your imaginary museum is all we have to do is apply the principles to our choice of museum. Museums can be government run, public institutions or a one man operation about someones quirky obsession. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean that it cant be done. Obviously a museum about Polynesian pop culture would be a privately operated museum with sponsorship from organizations and businesses with the same interests, visited by people who are interested in it. Again I am not trying to go to school for poly pop. I'm in the museum studies program. This gives me the knowledge to work in any kind of museum or to create a new museum.

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 5:31 pm   Permalink

No, I understand you're in museum studies, but you certainly need to understand the subject matter you've chosen for your museum - I mean, you should know the difference between a Mai Tai and the Mai Kai. Plus you've posted on a forum that's devoted to Polynesian Pop - I'm sure there's plenty of people here who will be happy to help you understand what it's all about, but you probably won't be getting much advice about how to run a museum. Those are tips you can give us, with our little collections of wood and ceramic artifacts.

I look forward to hearing how your studies progress through the year.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 6:22 pm   Permalink

Maybe I am posting on the wrong forum, For those of you who don't know who I am, I usually post on creating Tiki. I have been doing tiki art for nearly twenty years. I already have a comprehensive understanding of what Tiki Culture is about and understand the differences between, traditional Oceanic art, Hawaiiana, and Tiki. I don't need someone to explain to me the difference between a beverage and a building. I have been in early issues of Tiki News, Taboo,The Art of Tiki, and most recently Tiki Art Now Three. I have designed tiki products for internationally known companies. and I have written a book on Tapa design. I was collecting Witco long before it became fashionable to do so. blah blah blah. anyway, The point is not to offend anyone, but to include those who also think this might be a fun project. I just want to let you know that I'm not new to the Tiki lifestyle. Dawn

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 6:44 pm   Permalink

Dawn - you are absolutely correct, I misread your initial post as a request for info, when it is in fact an update on what your doing - my mistake and my apologies.

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:
There is even a gopher hole museum somewhere in Canada

Ha! Yeah, I've been to the Torrington, Alberta Gopher Hole museum. Don't go calling it a "museum" around true "museum people" though. My wife sat on the Alberta museums board for a few years and that was always a sore spot with them.

That said, I'm intrigued by the poly pop museum idea. I know you said yr just playin' at this point, but I think it's an interesting era of North American history (duh...what else would I say?) and i feel it's completely valid to present it's artifacts, whether some would qualify it as a racist portrayal or not. A true poly pop museum could tastefully tackle that issue. After all, racism is an issue with which many museums grapple.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 7:30 pm   Permalink

True that!

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 10:06 am   Permalink

I would say that even if ALL polypop is or was negatively impacted by an -ism, that ism would be cultural elitism, not racism, hence the old "primitive" tag applied to non Western and non N. Asian Art and culture. I have no pieces with any racialized mammy type features, but people can still say "What gives you the right to appropriate their images?" Those people aren't very well educated as modern Oceanic art has appropriated many Western elements as well, and I don't think that the Melanesians or Polynesians mean it in a racist way either.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 12:08 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a story (tiki) that really needs to be brought into the realm of recognized American history may soon get what it has deserved for years. The doors are open...Sven, Otto, James, Jeff, etc., etc. did a lot of the background work for us. I think it's a capitol idea. If you combined it with an authentic dining/drinking secondary experience somewhere on property I think you could have a very sustainable non-profit. I'd personally help out in any way I could once you decide it is a go. I'm sure a lot of people would, there are lots of devoted, highly learned true believers around here... in the name of bringing the story to the masses in a less adulterated, truer way than has been done by corporate America/people with a mere passing/party interest in recent years. I find it hard to believe that so few people on this site now even own a copy of Sven Kirsten's "The Book Of Tiki". It's sad, so sad. Your idea would serve a noble purpose...I say go for it.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-21 6:04 pm   Permalink

i was lucky enough to talk to Dawn over dinner last night ~ and to discuss her project for the UW Certifate Program. holy cow, this project is due in a year! Dawn told me which assignments must be completed by the end of the year and i was thinking,"but, its the holidays! how will there be time?!!"

(to me) the scope is huge! 80 years of Tiki as American Folk Art ~ but that is actually really a focused view for a museum. its still hard to wrap my head around it all, but Dawn's vision for the PAMOPP is clear and exciting! actually, i hadnt thought of Tiki as american folk art..but that's brilliant! and much more cool than quilts and duck decoys!

i dont know how i can help ~ but i'm excited to watch as Dawn's project unfurls...

that's a COOL idea, BK.. the drinking and dining experience at a museum.. a far cry from a stale muffin and coffee from a pump pot! bring on the mai tais and flaming ambrosia!

i hadn't read this thread in a few days, and wish i could have asked Dawn to bring Grandpop's art box to show and tell..

man, i am so lucky to live in Seattle ~ surrounded by cool friends who understand Tiki.. and maybe the home to the first Tiki Museum.. the whole project makes my head spin (in a good way).. i mean.. i've never thought of myself as someone who'd want to volunteer at a museum.. or maybe.. oh i dunno, thinking for when we get old ~ a place to bequeath our assets to..

anyways.. i'm gonna watch as this thread progresses.

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation