FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Anyone ever hear of this re-finishing trick?
Anyone ever hear of this re-finishing trick?
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 12:28 am   Permalink

Hey-

Someone told me today that if you rub Mayo on wood that has turned black from mold or age dis-coloration, it'll come out. That is, the black stain will dissappear. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I've got mayo on a log right now and at 1 hour & counting, nothing seems to be happening.

Whattaya think, folks?

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-10-09 00:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-10-09 09:38 ]

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 12:49 am   Permalink

Sounds about right. Ive heard of putting natural yoghurt on outside bricks/stonework to encourage a lichen/mould thing...

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 03:35 am   Permalink

Whoah, just read it again: youre trying to get the stain OUT of the wood! In that case, I know nothing, forget I spoke. haha

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 04:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-09 03:35, Tamapoutini wrote:
Whoah, just read it again: youre trying to get the stain OUT of the wood! In that case, I know nothing, forget I spoke. haha

hahaha

Sorry, I cant help either...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 05:49 am   Permalink

Mayo actually will darken or bring out the wood's natural color if scratched as in finished furniture etc. As for "bleaching" out a dark or black spot...I would use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution and apply with paint brush liberally over the area, and dry in the sun. If that doesn't do it, I would use steel wool. My .2

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 09:45 am   Permalink

Well, here it is today, and the blackness is even blacker. McTiki, you are totally right. The wood has become totally dark and rich. Makes sense- Mayo is primarily vegatable oil. I probably just sealed in and protected the mold! I was thinking that just as I was putting it on, but I did it anyway. The Dad of the friend that told me about it has been a re-finisher for years, so I thought she'd be right.

Maybe that bleach concoction will get thru the "Mayo Layer" and still get the stain. Let's hope!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 10:39 am   Permalink

Don't forget the sunshine to activate the chlorine's affects too.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 1:10 pm   Permalink

add some bacon and lettuce to that tiki and you'll have a BLT!

Mmmmmm, yummmie!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 1:32 pm   Permalink

I waz thinkin Avacado slivers,,,

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation