FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Hukilau memories
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hukilau memories
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-11 9:46 pm   Permalink

I always find that it is such a rough re-entry back into my work-a-day world after the euphoria of attending an event like Hukilau. The 50th Anniversary celebration exceeded my expectations. There is no way to describe the feeling you get when you are surrounded by the larger than life Ohana sharing in one kodak moment after another. You can not make this stuff up.

There are many treasured moments to reflect upon. Hanging out with Freddie Ballsomic is an event in itself. His life is definitely in living color! The truth is I was so elated at the Thursday pool party I could not stop smiling. A sea of tikiphiles from coast to coast! Great music, old and new friends, and the weekend rolled from there. It was definitely worth getting out of bed on Friday to be front and center for the marketplace. This is where I had to pace myself. First stop was to meet Aunt Bungy. Her positive energy will cure anything that ails you. I was so glad to see she made it and can’t wait to delve in to the stories of her adventures. From there it was on to the live carving on the beach. That was surreal to see the masters tag teaming tikis. The chips were flying under the sunny skies of Ft. Lauderdale. Next it was the breathtaking mermaid show. Tiki Bree wowed the crowd with her gold spun fishtails and elegant beauty. Then on to the main event where I peaked seeing Billy Muir with Ape. One day at Hukilau is better than an entire vacation.

Saturday was action packed starting with Geoff’s presentation on Florida tiki. My enthusiasm for the sunshine state has resurged to say the least. I relived my childhood in those images and declared my pride at being a resident of the sunshine state. Jeff Berry’s lecture was fact filled and packed a punch. What do you say about sipping on a Kiliki punch made by the master himself as you are sitting next to Tiki Kiliki. Then, just when the mellow kicks in you find yourself privy to images from Sven’s world…from his childhood to his upcoming new book. I felt like I was floating and thankful to be at that place at that time. (note attendance at mixology lecture to explain potential out of body experiences). A half an hour later I am at the Molakai bar sampling my first Jet Pilot. Thanks to my doubles partner Tiki Skip I also got to savor a Zombie. Life is good. I could not have imagined a more honored 50th celebration for the Mai Kai. And the Mai Kai knew it. The food was never better and the show was superb. For me it all hit home when the Haole Kats and Pablus took center stage with Basement Kahuna’s tiki hovering in the background. I have never seen them more complete. Sock monkeys and all. Then Crazy Al and Ben take the stage, people are dancing in the aisles, tikiphiles are everywhere. I did not want it to end. Thank god for after parties!

My reflection would not be complete without my finest Hukilau moments revolving around WITCO….from following up on local leads, to buying WITCO from a TC vendor on day one, to meeting Heather and Ken Pleasant, to discussing finds with BigBroTiki, to talking shop with Neptune and FreddieB. Nothing feeds my tiki soul more than talk of swamp cedar. Getting a glimpse of the upcoming “Tiki Modern and the Wild World of WITCO” on Sunday with Sven sealed the entire Hukilau weekend for me. It was an overwhelmingly fine moment. I have gotten my fix for now, but the WITCO light burns eternal.

Much appreciation to Tiki Kiliki, Casey, Basement Kahuna, Tiki Pugs, I Dream of Tiki, Chip and Andy and all the rest of the volunteers who made this year happen. What you gave to this event did not go unnoticed. I could not be more grateful. Long live Tiki…………………

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-11 9:58 pm   Permalink

Kim, you're true blue!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
otikiniko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-11 10:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-11 21:58, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Kim, you're true blue!

That's not the half of it, Kim looks over and says, "Stop it, you're gonna make me cry too."
She got it... and I'll never forget it, ever.

View Profile of otikiniko Send a personal message to otikiniko  Email otikiniko Goto the website of otikiniko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 01:19 am   Permalink

Now I really feel left out! It sure looks like it was a blast! Hope to be there next year!

Damn!

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 08:52 am   Permalink

Your a classy lady and it was a pleasure to meet you. Gotta make it down for our next tiki jam...

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-12 8:02 pm   Permalink

I've posted some of my pictures in the other photo thread, but wanted to add some comments here....

I've attended all 5 Hukilaus. When I attended the first one in Atlanta in 1992, I was not aware of anyone else in the D.C. area who was also into tiki. It was at that first Hukilau that Swanky informed me of the existence of a website called Tiki Central.

Four years later, I'm still attending Hukilaus, and this year I was joined by around 20 other local tiki friends from the D.C./Baltimore area who also came down for Hukilau, and even met more D.C. area people when I arrived. If that isn't progress, I don't know what is.

It was a honor to be a member of these communities - both the local D.C./Baltimore circle, and the larger tiki community as a whole. It was great to be in the presence of so many friends, and although I may not have been able to converse with you as much as I would have liked, your presence was definitely noticed. In a perfect world, we would be able to talk with each other for as long as we wished, but alas, there is never enough time, too many activities and visual and auditory distractions (sensory overload!), too many rum drinks to sample, not to mention too many new faces that I've never been introduced to -- yet.

Some of my personal memories/highlights ...

- Hearing the Haole Kats play while swimming in the Cabana pool - it was relatively calm when I was the first to enter the pool, but I was soon joined by others morewild and crazy than myself - some in swimming attire, some fully clothed. This evening of wild pool activity later ended in the moonlit ocean.

- Tiki marketplaces - both at the Yankee Clipper, and the Bahia Mar. Waaay too much good stuff. Oddly enough, in this paradise of tiki products, somehow one of the favorite item I bought was a portrait of Hank Williams Sr, done by Jaksin (and I don't even have a country music room) You never know what surprises the tiki artist community will present to you.

- Seeing the packed house at the Wreck Bar for the mermaid performance. And then the next day at the Mai Kai, standing next to and talking with the same mermaid. Who says that there is no magic in life?

- Woodchips flying through the air, like some form of biblical locust invasion, during the APE set. Later watching all the great visual eye-candy as Billy Mure joined APE.

- Beachbum Berry's mixology seminar - the expertise and history presented was fascinating, and the drink samples were a wonderful enhancement. I had not been aware of the direct linkage from Don the Beachcomber to the Mai Kai drink menu.

- Lobster Bora Bora, accompanied by first a Missionary's Doom, and then a Jet Pilot, at the Mai Kai. Definitely one of the best overall meals I've ever had, all followed by Waitiki performing in the Tahitian Room. In the tear 2000, I was able to watch Abe perform as part of Don Tiki at the Kahiki closing party, and here I was, over 6 years later, watching him perform again. Some tiki places close, some continue, but the people who appreciate and take part in tiki cultures sontinue.

- The Jetsetter Lounge. Very cool place, and a great ambiance, especially with all the tiki people there.

- Finally buying all of the Tiki Art Now books. I've known Otto since the mid-90's zine scene, and had resisted buying his books until I could do so from him in person, and have him autograph them. It took several years, but it finally happened! It was also nice to get a 'Tiki Archeology' DVD from Sven too - the VHS tape I had purchased at the first Hukilau was getting worn out.

- Monday afternoon beach action. Calm, warm waters, and very relaxing to wade in. Pelicans flying very close to the water surface, between us and the shoreline. And then the arrival of the schools of silvery fish, and how they start jumping into the air above the water surface in unison, as if some hidden arm of Neptune was sweeping through the water, commanding them to jump. This sweeping jumping motion went on for about 10 seconds, directly in front of where we were sitting, and then calm waters again. This was one of the most wonderful and unexpected scenes of nature that I have ever observed up close. (I have since learned that fish will jump like this if they are being chased by a barracuda or shark under the water surface -- good thing I was out of the water by then!)

- 4 nights of beautiful Florida weather, with the moon in or near full moon phase

Finally, thanks to Kiliki, Casey, and all the other organizers and behind the scenes people who helped to make this event happen. You've helped to make our lives, and vacations, much more interesting than they really deserve to be.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-14 12:02 am   Permalink

Pablus, funny that you start a thread off like this because you inspired me to jot down my thoughts at 4 am on Saturday night after seeing you onstage at the Mai Kai. I know you didn't start the thread to receive adulation but here it comes:

Some random and not all-inclusive highlights of Hukilau

Thurs
Apes surfing on a plastic crate in Bahia pool, and not caving their skulls in on the edge of the pool.

a dozen drunks trying to body-surf one foot waves at one a.m. and then drinking straight off the rum bottle on the beach til two a.m. (oh, that was every night!)

Fri
Jeff Chenault laying down the history in his Exotica presentation. Good to see Jeff finally getting credit for being on the forefront of the Exotica music craze.

Bree's mermaid inauguration and then poolside chess with the King, with drinks c/o David & Rebecca of Purple Orchid

Sat
accidental breakfast with Pablus at Bahia Cabana bar

Pablus' Bruddah Iz-like uke set and his even more amazing feat of consuming ONLY two drinks while spending hours at the Mai Kai - INCREDIBLE!

Kern's back office/behind closed doors rum tasting. What a host.

Sun
Beachbum Berry's drink seminar #2. Brought a tear to my eye not only to see my ol pal givin the gospel but when he winged the biggest of all compliments my way - here is the master of mixology comparing me to Don the Beachcomber to a crowded room of Tikiphiles. Thanks Jeff!

Capping the night at Jetsetter Lounge (w/ Phreddie, Nancy, Syd, and a green Malia) by buying a bottle of Voodoo Tiki tequila and getting a complimentary upgrade to their limited edition $250 Anejo. Anyone up for a top-top shelf tequila tasting?

Mon
capping the weekend by squeezing in one last dip in the ocean and a few minutes of quality time with friends Vern, Alice, James T., Deb and Paul (Munktiki), before sloggin off to the airport

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jet Sterling
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-14 4:55 pm   Permalink

Ok...it's been a week and I think the cobwebs have cleared enough to post a big "Thank You" to the event organizers for throwing a great party! I was a last minute addition (thanks Ahu for pushing me off the fence). Arrived late (Friday eve. - actually threw my luggage under one of the tables at the Mar and headed straight to the bar) and left early (had to catch a plane at 6 on Sunday, so left the Cabana at 5...the party still going strong on the balcony when I left).

Thanks to all that helped a last-minute attendee with accommodations, dinner show tix and plenty 'o rum. The atmosphere, music and people were fantastic. I especially enjoyed the late night jam sessions featuring a rotation of all of the bands in attendance (I especially enjoyed the extended version of 'Pipeline' with the instruments being passed around during the song...though must admit, I was distracted from the concert by the hot tub beer cooler rodeo that has been referred to by others and usually ends with a visit from the paramedics - luckily no injuries, just hours of entertainment). Also, I am a big surf fan...so great to hear the Intoxicators! Only wish that I could have stayed for the party at the Jetsetter. Another time.

I met a lot of people...but for those I did not, I was the big, tall fella (made taller with the addition of an FOM fez) who was endangering the hanging artifacts at the Mai Kai and was likely standing in front of you as you were trying to see the band.

Thanks again to those who organized the event...and to those who have helped organize in the past (making it what it is today). You should be very proud. It was a great party!

View Profile of Jet Sterling Send a personal message to Jet Sterling  Email Jet Sterling Goto the website of Jet Sterling     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 11:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-09 14:04, pablus wrote:
Oh yeah, if anyone wants to keep the vibe going, I'll be at Atlanta Trader Vics this Friday night at 8pm.

Such a wonderful surprise after the trek from JAX to Atlanta...

Bruddah,

Jen and I thank you so much for your hospitality.

We were happy to help celebrate another year that you will bring happiness to this world.

All the best to you!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-16 04:14 am   Permalink

Nobody was as surprised as BK to see you guys drop by at the perfect time.
The look of sheer delight on his face... like a BK in a vintage booth at a flea market.
(Do you even KNOW anything about aloha shirts, BK? DO YOU?)

Glad you made it back to Wiskeyconsin AOK, Sliver Surfer.
Here's to next time.

Also, mahalo to the ATL crew for joining the boithday fun at Trader VIcs.
That Barney West tiki outside the door is a serious piece.
Fun night and a great way to complete the Hukilau cycle.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-16 2:15 pm   Permalink

Our first experience at the Hukilau was great, and it being the first time we were vendors for such an event was wonderful as well. We met a lot of people and had so much positive feedback on our stuff that it made all the hard work that went into everything well worth it.

And speaking of hard work that went into the Hukilau, thank you to Tiki Kiliki, Casey, Basement Kahuna and everyone else who helped put it together.

It was very cool to meet the other vendors and talk to them about their stuff. Crash, Tiki Diablo and Lake Surfer thanks for the feedback on our stuff and for ideas on where to score some wood to try my hand at carving. Hopefully, I'll still have both hands after I attempt it.

We'll be posting pics as soon as we can find the cord to the camera. We look forward to becoming more involved and meeting more people.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-16 2:25 pm   Permalink

My Hukilau memories

As usual, the bulk of the best ones for me are the unplanned. This is not to say that the Friday night show, or the Mai Kai, or the Jetsetter were ANYthing but spectacular. But you expect those to be great. And they were (THREE firedancers! And the new one was cu-YUTE).

Personal Highlights:

- Sitting with the Heelgrinders, my darling roomie Sandra, and Chip&Andy watching Bre-Ari-Elle the Mermaid through the windows of The Wreck Bar. Better than Cirque de Soleil, cuz she was REAL! At least, it sure looked that way to me. Enchantment Under the Sea.

- The offshore after-party, passing around the bottles of whatever. Someone asked, “Who decided The Party would be 50 feet offshore, right *here* in the ocean?!” I laughed and laughed. And returned the next night. The company, the water, the light from the full moon(s) – all perfect.

- Watching the bronco – I mean igloo-busting competition in the hottub. Another favorite quote, courtesy of Swanky, after someone yelled to send in the rodeo clowns (to distract the wayward igloo): “You mean Scottish Rodeo Clown Doctors.” (It really was miraculous that nobody lost any teeth.)

- The Beachbum’s lecture. I learned SO MUCH. As Tikibars handed me yet another sample of the de-LI-cious Nui Nui (reading my mind that I wanted another), I laughed at my – well – ALL our nerdiness. “You realize what this must look like to the hotel staff; here we are listening to lectures about the ‘diaspora of Polynesian drinks,’ and earlier we’re oohing and aahing at slides of matchbooks and swizzle sticks!!” [Thanks KailuaGeoff!] “Yeah,” added Tikibars, “all the energy, research, and the money we spend on coming to things like this – if we put all that to other purposes, we could cure cancer! Or solve world hunger!” I laughed – and grabbed another Nui Nui. Yummieeee.

- Getting to sing in the Mai Kai with my four favorite husbands in the village of Okonkuluku (where polygamy is allowed). I’m still trying to figure out *HOW* those guys put away SO MANY DRINKS. And still stand. And still PLAY. And play *WELL*!

- Sitting next to The Joke Butcher on the bus to the JetSetter. The JB didn’t give up – kept right on going with great jokes, even if the delivery was, um, imperfect. I love that woman.

- Lying on the beach Monday with Paul and Deborah Munktiki, Vern, James T, Otto and Karen (I’m so glad you came to Hukilau, Karen!). The sun was hot, the water was PERfect, Deborah (aka the JB) provided tinto verano, and Vern made a sandwich run. We had umbrellas, comfy chairs, huge towels, and perfect company – some of my favorite people in the world. All we lacked was a National Geographic Special Presentation.

And then we had it.

- The *magical* spectacle at the beach started with pelicans – LOTSA pelicans (just when you left, James and Otto!). When I approached the water to snap a shot, I heard everyone scream and what sounded like hard rain hitting the water. I looked from behind my camera to see a bajillion fish jumping – great churning waves of flying silver, shimmering in the bright Florida sun. *That’s* why the pelicans were hanging around. And why were the fish jumping? To sacrifice themselves as a tasty treat for the hungry birds, now swooping in for the kill? Ha! To avoid being shark bait! We didn’t see the underwater predators, but a woman with whom I spoke earlier said she’d seen a few there. Nurse sharks, 2 or 2&1/2 feet long. Coooool. They did it again and again, but smaller waves each time. (I guess the sharks were getting full.) What a GREAT last Hukilau event. (Even better than the octopus that PearlyShell, Mean Gene and I found last year!)

Only Hukilau 2006 complaint – that I didn’t get to spend decent time with so many people. I wasn’t avoiding you, anyone, I swear! I mean, where WAS I? Oddly enough, I kinda wish there weren’t so many wonderful day events so that I could have just hung out with the ohana. Instead, I felt guilty – like I was missing out on something – if I missed any planned event. And I STILL missed out on planned events, either because they were running late but I couldn’t change my schedule, or I’m a f***ing idiot who can’t read a schedule, or because I was helping out a lost performer. And I look at people’s pictures, and I’m like, “when did THAT happen? Where was I?!”

Yeah, whine whine whine, Alice. “Waah! There was too much fun to be had! Boo hoo!”

Other happy little moments:
- finding out that I FI-nally had a Bahia Cabana room in the main part of the hotel, and right under the Italians’ penthouse. I wasn’t in my room more than 5 minutes before two GORgeous Italian boys knocked! (OK, they were looking for my cute roommate Sandra/Betty Rubble, but STILL! HANDsome!)
- getting Finkdaddy’s beautiful Maori style bone fishhook while enjoying a burger at the Cabana bar with JTD and Gary.
- seeing Basement Special K and Nikki still so happy together. Yay
- meeting the amazing Thayer. I soooo have to get out to Alameda and see you and the Martikis again!
- seeing Denny, Hilary, and Baby makes three. She is SO CUTE. Oh, the kid's cute too.
- meeting and dancing with Nancy, Syd, and Phreddie from NYC at the JetSetter. Good luck with your college choices, Sydney!
- seeing again the wonderfully talented and darling Mr. and Mrs. ChiselSlinger (6 years after their fine fine after-Kahiki-closing-backyard-luau, because of which I came to know Vern, Mr Smiley, Patrick the Silver Fox, Otto and Baby Doe, Sven and others!). Y'all will always be The Standard of hospitality to me.
- meeting fellow tiki Texan Kenike. Can’t wait ‘til Trader Vic’s Dallas!
- Marina the Fire-Breathing Orion Slave Girl dancing for the table of old ladies in purple dresses and red hats (huh?). And she’s gonna be the next Wreck Bar mermaid: cool!
- lunch with Holden (did you find your glasses?), the Bamboo Bens and other fellow hangover-ees. I’ve GOTTA get back out to the West Coast!
- Kern’s invite to sip rum and sign his poster in the back office. How sweet to see him SO into *our* being into the Mai Kai!
- sitting right at the stage at the Mai Kai, across from Casey and surrounded by some of the nicest, sharpest people I know. Does a girl get any luckier?!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou Tiki Kiliki (how DO you do it, year after year!), the always dapper Casey, TikiPugs, BK, Humu2, Gary, King Kuke (who always holds it together), all the performers, all the vendors, ALL the people without whom Hukilau is not possible.

Counting the days ‘til June 14, 2007!
(Pictures forthcoming - finishing the last roll before I take 'em into the developer, non-digital Luddite that I am!)

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini 2006-10-17 07:57 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-17 11:10 am   Permalink

Definitely, one of the highlights of my experience was Formikahini singing "Bali Hai" with us at the Mai Kai, and also on the bus to the Jetsetter...

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-17 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-16 14:15, frostiki wrote:
Our first experience at the Hukilau was great, and it being the first time we were vendors for such an event was wonderful as well. We met a lot of people and had so much positive feedback on our stuff that it made all the hard work that went into everything well worth it.

And speaking of hard work that went into the Hukilau, thank you to Tiki Kiliki, Casey, Basement Kahuna and everyone else who helped put it together.

It was very cool to meet the other vendors and talk to them about their stuff. Crash, Tiki Diablo and Lake Surfer thanks for the feedback on our stuff and for ideas on where to score some wood to try my hand at carving. Hopefully, I'll still have both hands after I attempt it.

We'll be posting pics as soon as we can find the cord to the camera. We look forward to becoming more involved and meeting more people.

Frost... great meeting you two and glad you had a good time. Keep up the good work, I love that your stuff is tiki but still Midwest grounded. Stay true to the roots and people will seek you out. Being a tiki artist here in the frozen tundra can be tough at times, but once you find your niche crowd you can run with it. I'll keep you in the loop, we do have our share of tiki events up here.

Thanks for the trade... it will be one of the first pieces to go up in my new tiki bar!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 07:55 am   Permalink

Thanks for the support, and for keeping us posted. Our little wooden friend we adopted from you is adjusting to his new home and looking forward to his new Tiki room.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation