FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Let's carve a large outrigger canoe and sail it (Kon-tiki like) to an island
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Let's carve a large outrigger canoe and sail it (Kon-tiki like) to an island
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 5:58 pm   Permalink

Check out this web site .
http://www.mauicanoefest.com

It is about an annual festival in Hawaii where several teams make a few traditional oceanic dugout canoes every year for cultural and educational purposes.

Here is a sample picture from that sight.

This got me thinking. Uh-oh!! Would anybody be interested in getting together where a group of us carve one of these and then actually paddle/sail it to some island in a great body of water. It could be considered a mini Kon-tiki expedition made up of a bunch of us amateurs from Tiki Central.

This is where it gets interesting. The good news is: I have access to a couple of large straight cotton wood trees that would make very good canoe hulls. They are about 26-30 inches in diameter at chest level and have strait trunks with no branches for at least 30 feet. I have access to equipment to move the logs. I also have a place for a group of people to meet and be lodged for the few days it could take to carve one of these out. I can even get the new craft from the creation point to the water. There are several possible launching points within a 40 minutes drive that could have potential islands to sail to in the Great Lakes (no real danger of getting lost). Depending on the island chosen it could be a journey anywhere from a mile to 15 miles of paddling. I was kinda thinking about something like sailing over and camping/partying for a night then back to the "mainland". I'll have to do a bit more research.

The bad news is it is in Michigan so it would most likely happen late next spring after the ice melts. Sorry all you sub-tropical types.

After we are done with the trip we could donate the craft to a museum or something.

Since I did get enough response on the first day I will start putting together an event.

Anybody else want to be part of it? If you want to let me know and I'll put you on PM distribution.

I initially put this in the carving tiki section because it would appeal mostly to us sawdust heads.

JohnnyP

[ This Message was edited by: Johnnyp 2006-11-02 05:50 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 6:03 pm   Permalink

I'll do it. You are gonna need a few saw guys. I'm in.

PIGHAMMER!

-Gman

[ This Message was edited by: GMAN 2006-10-09 18:04 ]

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 6:18 pm   Permalink

That's an absolutely CRAZY idea..

I love it.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 7:20 pm   Permalink

Hahaha, and so a new catchphrase is born! Yes, you will need the PIGHAMMER, as you never know what may happen on an uninhabited island...
I somehow don't think I'll be able to be a hands-on group participant in this project, but I'd happily donate a Mauri stone to ensure safe passage on your voyage.
I also think this is an utterly brilliant idea, and there are definitely the people here to pull something like this off.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 7:45 pm   Permalink

PIGHAMMER!!

I have never carved anything yet but I could learn fast and be a good worker bee if supervised. And would be cool to paddle or just tag along in my kayak. I have worked on a eight person cardboard boat.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 9:15 pm   Permalink

I think it's a great idea. I'd like to be a part of it, but Michigan?
You know Benzart has carved a canoe. I'll bet he wood dig this project.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 9:46 pm   Permalink

I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to participate. Somehow. Providing life does not get in the way. Get folks from both coasts to meet in the middle. Of course Benzart would have to be involved, at the least carve the figurehead Tiki! I think it's brilliantly insane. Get a group of dedicated Tiki fanatics to take a voyage to Shangri-La– and in true Tiki fashion, it's wherever we decide it is (or wherever we happen to be). Carving, canoeing, cocktails, camping... count me in.

-Duke

Edited for Navy Grog-inspired content

[ This Message was edited by: boutiki 2006-11-02 13:51 ]

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-09 10:25 pm   Permalink

You're all frickin' nuts,especially Johnny! I can drum the rowing cadence, I saw it done
in the old Viking movies.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 03:14 am   Permalink

You are one crazy bastard - I like the way you think!

If I could be there, Id be involved.

Definitely going to be interesting to watch this one...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 3:34 pm   Permalink

Great response!

If I can get permission there may be a free place for people to stay either inside or camping on site!

I was going to get pictures of the trees/ logs that can be used but the camera batteries died.

JP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-11-01 16:59 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 5:02 pm   Permalink

I'll be there come hell or high water. By Hook or by crook, Count me in! PIGHAMMER Indeed.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 8:21 pm   Permalink

That would be way cool, Why not carve the paddles also? I think there was a guy on here who has done some? What was his name again.......OH yeah BK! How long do you think it would take to do the Boat? Just a thought...How about a few trips to do the boat and one big one for the launching and sail?

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 09:57 am   Permalink

Here is another couple pictures from a Hawaii tourist site.

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 10:28 am   Permalink

JP,
Bring that bad boy down to FL and i'm in...awesome crazy bad ass idea...love it.

PIGHAMMER!!!!

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 12:36 pm   Permalink

PIGHAMMER!!! PIGHAMMER!!!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation