FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Let's carve a large outrigger canoe and sail it (Kon-tiki like) to an island
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Let's carve a large outrigger canoe and sail it (Kon-tiki like) to an island
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 1:29 pm   Permalink

OK, we'll name it PIGHAMMER.

There is still a lot of room left, anyone else? Any other ideas?

JohnnyP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-10-14 15:31 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 07:14 am   Permalink

bump

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 09:18 am   Permalink

Sounds like a fun trip. I've canoed out to islands on big lakes out West and camped with a group before, it's a lot of fun. I've also done week long white water float trips down the Salmon River, the " River of No Return", with camping, drinking, eating and debauchery. My suggestion to you is to look into using "dry bags" for putting your sleeping bags, changes of clothes, food etc. in. See who's coming that might have their own dry bags and if not rent some from a rafting company outfitter or canoe outfitter. It's no fun when the clothes, food and cameras get wet.

Have fun you crazy bastardz!

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 12:56 pm   Permalink

I don't think I relayed it well before, but I'm in!!

And.. I have a handheld GPS for navigation or just in case..

Do you have a route/island in mind? I've heard the lakes can get rough in some parts.. How is it in your area?

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 4:36 pm   Permalink

We gotsa have a boat before we have a course. When is this first saw team coming in Johnny?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-24 4:56 pm   Permalink

What is the time frame on this project? Depending on when it happens I would love to get involved!

PIGHAMMER!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 8:39 pm   Permalink

I hope you guys can make this happen. Sounds like an epic adventure!

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 3:03 pm   Permalink

Ok, given the pure insane brilliance of this idea, and my proclivity to doing stuff purely for the ability to tell the story about it (Which has often gotten me in WAY over my head), I'm definitely in.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 10:16 pm   Permalink

Love the idea!!!!

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 10:42 pm   Permalink

Count me in...

I've had the idea of building an outrigger for the last 6 years for the Dairyland Surf Classic on Labor Day Weekend... even had the logs ready... it never happened...

What lake are we talking about... Michigan or Huron? Upper Lake Michigan has quite a few islands in somewhat shallower waters.

Even in late Spring we're talking water temps of no higher that 50's... a wetsuit underneath might be a good idea...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Terrace
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-06 11:40 pm   Permalink

Absolutely love it! Been to the Canoe festival several times. When my brothers and I were dancing at PCC, we would always make it over to see the fest! I'll PM you and talk more! We are in the Chicago suburbs.
Scott, Tiki Terrace

View Profile of Tiki Terrace Send a personal message to Tiki Terrace  Email Tiki Terrace Goto the website of Tiki Terrace     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 11:06 am   Permalink

Johnny... have you gotten word from Scott at Tiki Terrace yet? I read over his thoughts and I think they are all great. Support and help from the Hawaiian and Polynesian communities in the Great Lakes region would be huge. I love the idea of multiple canoes all sailing to a destination too.

Lets make this happen.

It would be a great event!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 3:11 pm   Permalink

Lake and Tiki Terrace.
That PM had a lot of very good ideas. The multiple starting location was an awesome idea, when I first schemed this up I didn't think there would be large amount of people crazy enough to try it and didn't envision more than one canoe.

This is terrific!

I have to gather more info on Great Lakes islands destinations and such. Also I should practice with a smaller dugout to get an estimate on how long it will take to carve a bigger one.

After we're done with the event up here there has been interest expressed in moving the canoe to Florida and going in the gulf to an island. This could involve other people that couldn't make the event up here.

I'll post more later- my head is still spinning.

JP

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 4:12 pm   Permalink

C'mon, When Aare we doing this, Anyone have the BIG Log yet?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 4:17 pm   Permalink

I have a big log- OK restated-- I have a couple trees that are large enough to make these canoes. They have to be felled yet but that can happen this winter to get them ready to carve next year.

More details to come.

John

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation