[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau Mermaid
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hukilau Mermaid
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-11 5:39 pm   Permalink

Caught on videotape. I don't know how to post vids here, so you will just have to click http://www.nicefishy.com/ and scroll down. Very mysterious. Very magical.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cosmo Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-11 6:25 pm   Permalink

Coooool! So sorry that i missed it....

View Profile of Cosmo Tiki Send a personal message to Cosmo Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 6:19 pm   Permalink

Confessions of a mermaid......

When Kiliki first expressed the idea of having a mermaid swim at the Yankee Clipper, I was extremely intrigued. As a little girl growing up on the space coast, my dad would frequently take us on "Florida drives," where we explored countless kitschy Florida treasures, most gone now.
Weeki Wachee mermaids imprinted into my psyche so strongly that I repeatedly declared that I wanted to be one when I grew up.

In April of 2005, Annette of Hula-Hula productions hired me to model in mermaid garb as a tribute to the Weeki Wachee maidens at her acclaimed Floridana Antique Show in St Petersburg.
Many of the original mermaids of the 50's and 60's appeared at the show to promote a documentary film of the Weeki Wachee phenomena. This little Florida gal felt extremely honored to pay homage to the amazing women of Weeki Wachee; and to make a great day even better, the Mer-Tailor gifted me with the costume I modeled.

I never thought my childhood dream would ever manifest , and then came Kiliki's request...
I asked her to hold the thought until I could test swim the "tail" to see if I could even maneuver underwater. It took about 20 minutes in the YMCA pool to figure out the technique, and when I did it was incredible! It felt so natural to propel underwater and I resented having to come up for air. I excitedly emailed Kiliki that the mermaid was a "GO" for the event.

When the day came & I was getting into costume for the swim, I was so nervous that my hands were shaking. I didn't know if anybody would come see the swim, and I was concerned that my jitters would affect my underwater stamina. I had no idea that so many people were collecting in the Wreck Bar. Well I found out as soon as I made the first pass by the windows. Although I could not see into the windows, I heard a roar of voices as I swam by--and I was wearing ear plugs!!! Your cheers and claps were unbelievably exciting. I only wish that I could breath underwater so I didn't have to go up for air so often. (I'll have to work on that.)

Thank you Kiliki, thank you Hukilau-ers, for making a little girl's dream come true.

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-15 7:59 pm   Permalink

It was great meeting you both, I will get you some of the other pictures soon.
ps And I think I am going to have to photoshop that waiter and his silly face out of this picture!

Thanks Tikikiliki for all you do!

[ This Message was edited by: Bohemiann 2006-10-15 20:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bohemiann 2006-10-15 20:02 ]

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 5:46 pm   Permalink

Hi Tiki Bree,

That vid is of the only time you swam past the far right window, but I'm thrilled because it is a very mystical shot I was able to capture. Heck, I got there just in time to secure the last window seat. Still, it was a magical moment.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 08:07 am   Permalink

Thank you, Raffertiki, for catching it, I've gotten a lot of cool feedback from your video.

Since I wasn't able to rehearse in the pool, it was challenging to figure out which windows gave the best view for everyone.

Thank you very much for coming and watching.

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 10:03 am   Permalink

TikiBree, thanks for your incredible effort and a fantastic show! You brought back fond memories for this Fla girl! Hope to see it repeated at future events...

RevBambooBen, is that you in your MaiKai shirt(still looks good on ya)handing out drinks in the photo above?

[ This Message was edited by: kikekeki 2006-11-02 10:04 ]

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-02 10:03, kikekeki wrote:
TikiBree, thanks for your incredible effort and a fantastic show! You brought back fond memories for this Fla girl! Hope to see it repeated at future events...
[ This Message was edited by: kikekeki 2006-11-02 10:04 ]

From one "Fla Girl" to another...you are most welcome!!! With so much of Florida's fun history fading away, it was an honor to pay homage to a part of it.

Speaking of fond memories, you must see the The Florida Show in St Pete on Nov 12th at the Coliseum. This antique show is chock full of amazing relics of Florida's past. Ms Hula Hula's post gives all the details.......

kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 7:19 pm   Permalink

Mahalo!
It's already on my calendar...
See you there

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-04 02:08 am   Permalink

That Waiter Stole My shirt Man!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-17 11:28 am   Permalink

Someone has posted a couple of videos of a mermaid (not Bre-elle) swimming past the windows of the Wreck Bar. It appears the Yankee Clipper has hired a mermaid to swim the waters again! Maybe this is due to the overwhelming reception Bre-elle received when she did her mermaid magic. Here are the videos:

Video 1
Video 2 (longer and more close-ups)

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-17 1:05 pm   Permalink

Hold on a minute, is that Robert Downey Jr. moonlighting as a Mai Kai waiter? Watch out for the half full drinks he's serving.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-17 1:39 pm   Permalink

I remember that waiter! Could it be?!

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 11:40 am   Permalink

Ooh a pink one!

It's awesome that the Hukilau jumpstarted this old tradition at the Shipwreck. It hope it does well for them. Damn, I should open a bar like this on Long Island.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-26 5:44 pm   Permalink

Bump a mermaid for the holidays.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation