FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My first pendant since Benzart's Coon Tiki Lesson!
My first pendant since Benzart's Coon Tiki Lesson!
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 12:11 am   Permalink

Aloha Coon Tiki Bretheren, and everyone else as well!

For the past few weeks, I've been spending my break time at work trying my darnedest to successfully do another hook-knife carving like we did at Coon Tiki. I realized that I was forgetting all the great stuff Ben taught us, so I thought I'd better start hookin' again!

The first two attempts were unsuccessful. I kept messing things up, or the wood would shred the wrong way, or a cut would "take off" across the face of it and ruin the dang thing. Well, they say that third time's a charm, and I finally finished this one to a tolerable degree of "yeah, I guess it's o.k.". Here it is:

Gee, can ya guess what my inspiration was?

I had a really nice ageing going on, but then I sprayed it with lemon oil, and all my subtle "wear shading" vanished. Maybe if I dry it out in the sun, I can wear it down again. After that, the hole gets drilled, the lanyard goes thru and then it gets slung 'round my anxiously waiting neck!

Mahaloz!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 02:55 am   Permalink

Very nice! Reminds me of a Mug out of Stockton Cali

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 03:06 am   Permalink

It's more than OK--it's Greeeeaaat!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-12 05:56 am   Permalink

Hey nice one Lee! I like the style. It doesn't look like you lost anything from Coon Tiki! Make some more! You may be surprised how good they get after you make a few more.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 06:49 am   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 08:32 am   Permalink

Great carving! How large of a piece is it?

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 09:20 am   Permalink

That is one sweet pendant.

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 09:37 am   Permalink

Well done Lee. That's one of my all-time favorite designs. You executed it beautifully.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-13 10:11 am   Permalink

It looks like you're getting the hang of that hook knife. Nice looking "witco-ish" piece - reminds me of the spitting fountain, but with a bit of your spin to it.

If memory serves you're on the list for the west coast chop? I look forward to chillin' and carvin' in sunny sandy ego with ya

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 3:27 pm   Permalink

Thats got a nice individual style - top work

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 4:07 pm   Permalink

Yes, he looks great, I L:ove all the detail. I can see you have been practicing with the hook. Excellent.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 7:42 pm   Permalink

Oh...that is a fabulous carving

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 7:59 pm   Permalink

Good job Lee. I like him! I have also been doing pendants with the hook knife. Will add pics to my thread soon. Keep 'em coming.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-14 10:00 pm   Permalink

Wow, Nice hook work Tiki Lee's! I have to say that unfortunately I never really caught the "carving small" bug. It seems like I was was too hung over and it hurt my head to squint at the incredibly small detail while trying to make my side look like Ben's. Plus, I felt certain that I was going to Ginsu my finger and bleed all over Swanky's nice in-laws' carpet. Anyway, my problems aside, it looks like you've kept the Coon-Tiki torch burning and managed to produce a masterful piece with an interesting Witco look to it. Enjoy SoCal Coon-Tiki 2, my friend. If I could make it I would be there too.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 12:16 am   Permalink

Hey, Thanks A Bunch for all the great compliments! I really just expected a couple of "o.k.'s" and that would be it. Wow, thanks again!

Cap'n Skully- he's 4" tall, and about 1 1/2" wide. He started out as a much bigger rectangular block of bass wood, & just kept getting smaller and smaller.

Polynesiac- Yeah, I took a bit of the Witco fountain, a bit of the Mainlander mug, and a bit of the Hugh Hefner "pool room" masks and threw 'em all together. I just can't get that Witco style out of my head. I grew up around so much of it and I love it all so much.

Benz- maybe, when we get together at Left Coast, you can teach me how NOT to break so dang many blades when carving out big areas of wood. I broke THREE blades carving out the "vee" on top of his head!

8ft- post your pendants soon; I can't wait to see 'em!

Aaron- I wish you could be there, too. I'll miss sleeping with ya! (ya had to be there)

I just finished going over him with a wire brush to bring out the grain. After that, he got two light coats of Satin Marine varnish. Now he looks nice and old (again with the "old!") and ready to be drilled for a lanyard. He doesn't look much different in pictures, though, so I won't post any more.

Thanks Again for all your support! Next Stop: Left Coast Oki-Finoki Chop Schop!

-loha!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation