FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tragedies in Tiki Fashion
TikiMama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 4:48 pm   Permalink

Friends, I have to speak to you about an abomination against tikidom that I have with increasing frequency at events, even one as posh as Hukilau. Something so awful I'm forced to speak out against it publicly. I refer, of course, to the Tragedy of the Tevas.

Teva Hurricane II $40

So horrifically plastic and NYLON! With Velcro! And what are those patterns? "Native American"? Who knows? All I know is that many a charmingly breezy tiki outfit (linen pants/khaki shorts/aloha shirt) is brought low by the black, clunky albatross of footwear.

Obviously the flip flop or thong (as we called them in the OC) is the preferred footwear for tropiholics. So casual, so effortless, so beach bum!

Cobian Lone Star $42

Reef Tatami Bahami $40

But I will grudgingly - grudgingly!- acquiesce that some people need "comfortable" shoes. (Though, if I may say, the amount of drinking that gets done at events should really eliminate the need for you to even feel your feet). So, fine, you want comfort, there are a variety of attractive walking sandals available!

Old Maui Brand Surf $45

Teva makes nicer shoes! Teva Maceo Cork $60

At this point, I think EVEN Birks would be a better choice!

Birkenstock Arizona $100

I'm begging you all, toss out your Tevas! Embrace the world of natural fibers! Let us not even discuss Crocs. The first time I see those at a tiki event, I will not be responsible for my actions. You've all been warned.

View Profile of TikiMama Send a personal message to TikiMama  Email TikiMama Goto the website of TikiMama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 7:04 pm   Permalink

Uh aren't Birkenstocks kinda hippy(ish)??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-12 7:35 pm   Permalink

RAINBOWS are the way to go

Rainbow Sandals Outlet
326 Calle de Los Molinos
San Clemente, Ca
(949)492-4930

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nitropic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 7:48 pm   Permalink

Skechers is trying to market their sandals directly to us Tiki types, Polynesians "Bora Bora" & "Marquesas"
http://www.skechers.com/catalog/browse.do?function=displayProductList&gender=M&catId=4&index=0&viewAll=false&sort=newest&prodId=2392&styleCode=70347
http://www.skechers.com/catalog/browse.do?function=displayProductList&gender=M&catId=4&index=0&viewAll=false&sort=newest&prodId=6051&styleCode=70409

View Profile of nitropic Send a personal message to nitropic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-12 9:27 pm   Permalink

Jeff that is exactly my point! EVEN hippie garb is better than Teva.

Those Sketchers are dead cute. They remind me of those tire sandals you used to get(probably still can) in TJ!

View Profile of TikiMama Send a personal message to TikiMama  Email TikiMama Goto the website of TikiMama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 05:54 am   Permalink

Amen! Down with Tevas!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 06:27 am   Permalink

barefoot is the ultimate tiki footwear.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 07:40 am   Permalink

Guilty...

I hang my head in shame...

I carefully select my ensemble, coordinating the vintage jewelry with a classic barkcloth dress, top it off with my notorious hat, and then...and then...I wear Tevas. I always assumed that nobody would notice.

OK, I've learned my lesson, and now I have a good excuse to go buy new sandals!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 2:11 pm   Permalink

Wear sandals to an event such as Hukilau, and TEVAS?! Tevas are for postmodern, Gen-X, Lonely Planet backpacking, style challenged, clueless kids! Even Thongs/Flip-flops are fine only to and from a beach party, but on a Tropical Night out, ESPECIALLY to a grand event such as Hukilau, for the Ladies MINIMALLY it should be a pair of wedges with a Hawaiian/Tropo and/or Sarong style dress (if not a proper pair of PUMPS!), and for the Gents MINIMALLY a good, CLEAN pair of quality leather boat shoes, better yet a pair of fine lounge-lizard loafers. Personally I have a pair of two tone, cobra skin, custom made loafers to wear with one of my vintage style Hawaiian shirt (and pressed slacks) just for such occasions.

You know I'm thinking TikiCentral maybe badly in need of a Tiki/Tropo Style and Fashion Forum!

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 2:24 pm   Permalink

I hate to post this..cause I KNOW I will be SCATHINGLY slammed for saying this--but iREALLY think there are some things that are taken just a WEE bit too seriously here...TEVA HATING being one of them---how do you guys feel about those savuk ASTRO TURF sandals I sport while I'm carving?

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 4:01 pm   Permalink

I think what really has happened is that there is a cross hobby situation. Often the owners of Teva products are walkers or hikers, lets say forest people. I've tried Teva. Boy, oh boy, do they suck. Can you say "sweaty and slippery surface"? That may be a personal problem.

Hey! I'm a hippy. I wear Birks.

Yes, the most fashionable thing is to be barefooted. Or wrap your feet in banana leaves. Not palm, that will cut your feet.

The tire sandals your refer to are huaraches ( wa' raches ).

And down here in SD the life gaurds call them "slaps". Thongs are NOT worn on the feet unless they are to be flung by the "dainty" big toe of a wahine.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 4:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 14:24, bb moondog wrote:
I hate to post this..cause I KNOW I will be SCATHINGLY slammed for saying this--but iREALLY think there are some things that are taken just a WEE bit too seriously here...TEVA HATING being one of them---how do you guys feel about those savuk ASTRO TURF sandals I sport while I'm carving?

And here I thought the thread was just horsing around to be funny.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 4:55 pm   Permalink

Shoes have got to be the trickiest part of dressing for Tiki soirees. The styles (especially the colors) have changed so much, and vintage footwear tends to be a little, well, gross. I've been lucky to find a few pairs of colorful heels over the years that pair with my dresses pretty well, but I still find myself scrambling and fudging it quite a bit.

If it's any consolation, I seem to be very scattershot with my noticing of others' footwear. I do tend to notice when someone's wearing great shoes, but for some reason I don't pick up on it when someone's wearing incongruous shoes. Go figure.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 6:11 pm   Permalink

I am a guy. I think that I know fashion. And I now that I look goooood in any combonation of the huate coture below.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-13 6:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 18:11, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I am a guy. I think that I know fashion. And I now that I look goooood in any combonation of the huate coture below.

All I can say is a big SLAP-SLAP-SLAP to ya face for the converse and combat boots!

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 14:24, bb moondog wrote:

Quote:

On 2006-10-13 16:01, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I think what really has happened is that there is a cross hobby situation. Often the owners of Teva products are walkers or hikers, lets say forest people.

The whole point of this is that Tevas were worn at a nice party in a beautiful restaurant, not hiking, not carving, not milling around at the beach, but in an elegant surrounding at a fairly fancy party. Clothing is like food, sometimes what you eat and how and why you eat it is merely functional, easy, comfortably. Then there is DINING where to consume is more than just a needed function or a matter of comfort or convenience, no it is a reflection of art, style, grace, culture and class. It is done out of the sheer elegance, grandeur and enjoyment that we can, and should want to occasional experience in life. It's NOT just a plate of fries and a pair of old sneakers!

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation