Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki "The Heiau Story" ... "The Necklace"
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
"The Heiau Story" ... "The Necklace"
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-24 7:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2006-11-24 09:23, WenikiTiki wrote:

Here is how a local Realtor defines a Heiau (A temple built by menehunes, mythical Hawaiian elves). Funny!

Is that supposed to be a Christmas time joke?

Nice commentary, Wentiki.

Interesting issue about ownership and easements regarding the Heiau.

I though the Menehunes were limited to Kauai?

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2006-11-24 19:29 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 08:43 am   Permalink

I just find the subject fun... I love Christmas, had one son born on Christmas morning and my other born on Dec.20th.

About those Menehunes: They are everywhere in the various islands of Hawaii. There were 65 people listed on the island of Kauai as Menehunes in the 1820 census. I can't find my source right now, but I remember that some speculate that they were protesting that there was a census and did that as a little joke/protest.

Menehunes are like Pixies, Trolls, Brownies, Leprechauns, Cupids and Elves with a little Druid thrown in for luck. They have been attributed with all of the qualities of the above. They live in the woods, come out only when they can't be seen, do good deeds, build things and can fix problems. Occasionally they can cause problems. Often when I was a child I heard things on the mainland being attributed to a "Poltergeist". Here in Hawaii the Menehune are credited with anything strange. I've had some windows and doors that seem to be opening and closing themselves. One of my Hawaiian friends says: "Menehunes!" I guess, either that or my dogs and cats are way trickier than I knew. I do live right by the jungle/mountain. So I would be a likely place to visit.

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 10:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2006-11-26 08:43, WenikiTiki wrote:
About those Menehunes: They are everywhere in the various islands of Hawaii. There were 65 people listed on the island of Kauai as Menehunes in the 1820 census. I can't find my source right now, but I remember that some speculate that they were protesting that there was a census and did that as a little joke/protest.

Interesting fact regarding the Census.

Hawaii's myths & folklore on the Menehunes is that the Tahitians arrived on Kauai in 1000 A.D. to find a population of little people numbering about 500,000 and called them "manahune", which in their language meant commoner.

Another theory is that the Menehune were brought from Tahiti as Laborers to perform construction projects.

The Menehunes were a nocternal people skilled in engineering and mosonry and would complete their projects in one night, although the single night is probably a Western fiction.

Myths and traditions concerning the Menehune are more prevelant on Kaua'i. It is probable that the later invaders pushed them gradually out of other islands so that they congregated in Kaua'i, the last of the large islands, at the northwest end of the chain.

From there they apparently withdrew to the barren and rocky islets of Nihoa and Necker, as evidenced by numerous terraces, stone implements, and stone images.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5346&forum=1

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 1:44 pm   Permalink

Never saw a Menehune myself. I do recall though that when visiting Hawaii in the mid-1970's (I heard all this stuff on Oahu) there was a problem people had with the sounds of people "walking on the rooftops" of houses. This was actually attributed to Menehunes, and my mental image of them was somewhat creepy because of these stories. (It was never possible to find a person making the sounds, so I guess a Menehune was as good a culprit as any?) Family members who had experienced these sounds had been creeped out by them, and supposedly the sounds were unmistakable and strange.

It's a weird feeling discussing these things, a chicken skin kind feeling.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-26 13:44, procinema29 wrote:
Never saw a Menehune myself. I do recall though that when visiting Hawaii in the mid-1970's (I heard all this stuff on Oahu) there was a problem people had with the sounds of people "walking on the rooftops" of houses. This was actually attributed to Menehunes, and my mental image of them was somewhat creepy because of these stories. (It was never possible to find a person making the sounds, so I guess a Menehune was as good a culprit as any?) Family members who had experienced these sounds had been creeped out by them, and supposedly the sounds were unmistakable and strange.

It's a weird feeling discussing these things, a chicken skin kind feeling.

If I recall correctly, Menehune are very shy.

You were probably experiencing the Night Walkers.

procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 1:50 pm   Permalink

The Night Marchers...those guys...I read about them years later. Definitely not something a person wants to run into, according to what I read! But yes, these noises of people on rooftops were blamed on "the Menehunes" by folks in my family. Not sure but I may have seen a small newspaper article that mentioned this as a common problem on the Islands...

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-27 5:21 pm   Permalink

Funny, because we keep hearing what sounds like people walking on the roof here. My husband keeps telling me it is cats or birds... I lay in bed staring up at the roof trying to figure out how a little bird or medium size cat can sound like a big person.... crazy!

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 12:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-27 13:50, procinema29 wrote:
The Night Marchers...t

Thanks for the proper name.

Interesting issue.
I posted it on the main section.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21931&forum=1&start=last&0

procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 1:24 pm   Permalink

So this "sounds of people walking on the roof" thing is still happening? That's very strange. I heard those stories some thirty years ago!

But I have heard at least one similar story from a person here in California, who heard footsteps coming from the roof of a house he was visiting--and this was like 2 or three in the morning. Of course, it was just unlikely that anyone might be up there walking around in the black of the night. At three in the morning. According to this person, the sounds were unmistakable...

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 11:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-28 13:24, procinema29 wrote:
So this "sounds of people walking on the roof" thing is still happening? That's very strange. I heard those stories some thirty years ago!

But I have heard at least one similar story from a person here in California, who heard footsteps coming from the roof of a house he was visiting--and this was like 2 or three in the morning. Of course, it was just unlikely that anyone might be up there walking around in the black of the night. At three in the morning. According to this person, the sounds were unmistakable...

In California, maybe a cat or racoons at night. Squirrels during the day.

procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 04:08 am   Permalink

Oh yes...except big two-legged animals sound very different from little four-legged ones...are we shivering yet? I am, but wait, it's actually very cold this morning. (I go in big for ghost stories during the wintertime.)

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 11:27 pm   Permalink

Things that go bump in the night may frighten me, after all.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2008-08-27 23:28 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation