[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace munktiki knock offs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
munktiki knock offs
nitropic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 5:01 pm   Permalink

Found these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Unusual-Tiki-Mug-Vase-Monkey_W0QQitemZ180040959926QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180040959926

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Unusual-Tiki-Mug-Vase_W0QQitemZ180040961265QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180040961265

I contacted Munktiki and they had this to say:

"Thanks for the headsup. Unfortunately since they arent stating its made by Munktiki I dont think there is anything we can do.

Thats the price you pay importing from china. We were planing on having those imported along with the El Bastardos and U bastards but they never got the quality to where we wanted it."

-stuckie

BID AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!!!

View Profile of nitropic Send a personal message to nitropic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 5:43 pm   Permalink

You would think Muntiki could copyright (or claim copyright to) an image, certainly other works of art can't be just knocked off and sold on eBay legally. Maybe it should be reported to eBay, they have a tendancy to knock off listings for even a chance that it is a copyright infringment.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-19 7:01 pm   Permalink

Yeah, that really sucks. Blatant theft of someone else's artwork should be rewarded with multiple bamboo slivers slid under the fingernails.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 9:08 pm   Permalink

YES. REPORT, REPORT and REPORT AGAIN to eBAy. That work is Stuckie's no matter what it says on the bootleg product. The moment he creates it, it is his copyrighted design. He has proof of first publication with the release of his legitimate version, even if it's not registered with the US Gov't. Although damn near impossible to ever get any monetary compensation from the theiving bastards, at least their outlet can be shut down and discourage them from making more.

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuckieshaft
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 08:48 am   Permalink

Those mugs were sold to a huge discount outlet in Canada. Sold directly from the factory that produced the 2 imports that we actually did have made. We were compensated for their violation. I'm sure this is a second hand seller in no way related to the department store that originally sold them. Even still a second hand seller selling a copyright infringing item is no good, but according to ebays policies it has to be claiming its the brand name in order for them to terminate the auction.

-stuckie

View Profile of stuckieshaft Send a personal message to stuckieshaft  Goto the website of stuckieshaft     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 12:01 pm   Permalink

I saw that listing and thought they looked "funny". I wonder if these mugs will someday become as collectible as the originals because of the "cheese" factor. Kind of like the star wars figure rip offs from other countries with funny backings........just a thought. Really though, that does suck for the munktiki crew cause as artists those creations are yours. At least we at tiki central know the truth.
Peace.

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 12:07 pm   Permalink

That's what you get for dealing with the commies.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 12:14 pm   Permalink

these mug-rip-offs have no souls .

edited for not being tiki

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2006-10-20 13:38 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 12:25 pm   Permalink

Hey Stuckie, As long as you've dealt with the factory on this, cool. I was just lookin out for ya. I've had my mug designs ripped for graphics from stickers to boogie boards where you can do absolutely nothing about it. Keep up the good work.

And really, do we need to do ethnic slams here? It just ain't tiki.

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 2:04 pm   Permalink

:)

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 6:18 pm   Permalink

This is another situation where I feel both SAD and ANGRY!
After all the love and good mojo I've received from the TC Ohana to see someone out there copying another's creative efforts for their profit.....Ooooooh!
Dr.TikiMojo gonna whip up a whole can of BAD MOJO WHOOP ASS and send it their way!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuckieshaft
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 6:50 pm   Permalink

What really sucks is when a large corporation rips off your designs. Its next to impossible to get a cease and desist letter into the right persons hands unless you want to pay $$$$ lots of cash $$$$ to have a lawyer do it for you. Which for all you know will never be received either. As I'm sure some of you will remember, Bratz stole 3 of our designs. They were exact replicas, but after wasting a whole day trying to find a place to send a letter and talking to a lawyer who wanted to charge me $1,000 just to send a letter, I gave up.
Its all pretty aggravating though on the amount of time you have to put into this stuff, which in the end all equates to loss of income.

View Profile of stuckieshaft Send a personal message to stuckieshaft  Goto the website of stuckieshaft     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nitropic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 7:42 pm   Permalink

BRATZ, like the "toy", WTF? What did they rip?

View Profile of nitropic Send a personal message to nitropic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 8:17 pm   Permalink

Braaatz!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 8:35 pm   Permalink

with those Braatz, did Munktiki happen to get ahold of any just to add to the wierd stuff that people do file.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation