[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Visiting Phoenix, New York, South Florida
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Visiting Phoenix, New York, South Florida
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 9:21 pm   Permalink

nice pic's, thanks, I think Im gonna head out there soon.

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 9:29 pm   Permalink

Great pictures Humuhumu! Thanks for sharing. As much as I would like to live someplace green, every once in awhile I'll see something to make me remember how cool our deserts really are! Saguaros are really amazing! My husbands in NYC right now, 27 degrees today with windchill who know what it felt like! I know it wont feel like Tuscon! Don't forget your coat!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-01-16 12:01 pm   Permalink

Great pictures! I'm glad the Kon Tiki has survived despite the encroachment of stripmall-itis. Can't wait to see your pictures of Florida.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 1:28 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu,
Mahalo for those pics. I can't believe I lived in Tucson in the late 70's and never went to this place. I had moved from Hawaii two years prior and, like the stupid kid I was, thought Polynesian stuff on the mainland was some kind of bogus joke. In fact, I seem to remember thinking just about everything was some kind of a bogus joke at that age.
Seems like I remember a big old Moai sitting somewhere on Speedway Blvd. It might have been for a mini-golf. Am I having a flashback, or did someone locate that about a year ago and post about it?

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 07:35 am   Permalink

Hey Kailuageoff check out the post "Giant tiki head in Tucson?" I just posted a pic of it.

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 06:49 am   Permalink

Humuhumu wrote:
Quote:
It's a very small building (on McDowell, just east of Papago Park), and today it houses an Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I went by it more slowly on the way back, but didn't spot any evidence of a previous tiki incarnation. But I could feel it in my soul! Does anyone know what this originally was?

I saw this building this morning when driving from Scottsdale to my hotel in Phoenix...kinda got my blood flowing since I didn't expect it and it just jumped out of the scenery. Its been over two years since Humuhumu made this post; has anyone joined the group since who can tell us about it's original owner?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-05-20 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 21:08, Humuhumu wrote:
Ugh -- just got back from Phoenix, and there's no way I'm gonna be able to catch up on these posts.Here's my (pretty crappy) pictures from the trip:
On my way to visit the Desert Botanical Gardens, I spotted a lovely dramatic A-frame:

It's a very small building (on McDowell, just east of Papago Park), and today it houses an Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I went by it more slowly on the way back, but didn't spot any evidence of a previous tiki incarnation. But I could feel it in my soul! Does anyone know what this originally was?

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-20 12:17 pm   Permalink

Wow, this brings back memories! I'd still love to find out what the deal is with that cool little building. I still have pictures from that NY & Florida trip to post...

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:55 am   Permalink

I saw the same building on my recent trip to AZ and took a few pics. I'd love to know what this place was originally built for.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation