FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Hawaii Vacation Tips
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Hawaii Vacation Tips
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 08:08 am   Permalink

Mickytiki,
I think the Big Island may be a little less "citified" than Oahu; we had no (nor heard of any) problems, but then again, with a convertible, we kept nothing of merit within top-slitting reach! I'm a City Girl. It's a reflex.

That was actually part of our having a base camp with the condo; we never wanted to leave anything of value in the car. And the trunks of convertibles are teensy (to leave room for the folded top), so out of necessity, we brought our bags in immediately, no matter where we were moving to.

So I'd say that especially on Oahu, if you can't cover your rental tag with a sticker and you're out doing a lot of shopping, do be smart and keep it out of sight - especially with a convertible!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 9:41 pm   Permalink

Very smart advice Formica .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hughes

Posted: 2010-01-23 01:36 am   Permalink

Assuming you are going to Oahu, because that island attracts more visitors, and using it as an example. The Honolulu area has dozens of museums, cultural and historic sites and activities that do not require any physical strains. Then there are places like Pearl Harbor and Polynesian Cultural Centers outside of Honolulu that you can easily spend an entire day enjoying various activities offered by these attractions.

View Profile of Hughes Send a personal message to Hughes  Email Hughes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 07:09 am   Permalink

Exactly, Hughes.

My plan for my next trip to Hawaii will be two days on Oahu (to see La Mariana, the Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbour, etc, and visit Gecko), then spend the rest of the week on Kauai.

I'm very happy with having done the Big Island for my first trip, since it was a mix of touristy and lush/wild, but it was hard at first to choose between it and Oahu (for 2 tiki lovers). But we got a LOT of tiki in that week.

But I'm dying to see all the above attractions on Oahu, too. Then, it seems like another 5 days in Kauai (or Maui) would be the fix of lush/tropical that I crave too, since Oahu (or at least Honolulu) ain't known for the wild jungle stuff. And since fewer flights go directly to Kauai (or Maui), one would need to go to/through Honolulu anyway, so why not stay a few days? (Flights were direct to Kona on the Big Island, however.)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 5:01 pm   Permalink

These are called Mini Coupes and are a great way to get around Waikiki, to go by Baileys get a Hawaiian shirt, stop at Leonards and get some malasadas, swing by Ono Hawaiian and get some lau lau and poi. Cant go on the highway with these but you can go over to Kailua and cruise around town exploring. Easy to park! They rent em at the Hawaiian Monarch. Shoots i think the phone # is on the picture (808) area code.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 09:02 am   Permalink

Hey, it looks like the Hawaiiana Hotel in Waikiki closed due to bankruptcy?
Is that true?!?!?!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-20 12:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-19 09:02, surfintiki wrote:
Hey, it looks like the Hawaiiana Hotel in Waikiki closed due to bankruptcy?
Is that true?!?!?!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26469&forum=1&start=15

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-20 12:57 pm   Permalink

Grim. Thanks for posting though.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 11:16 pm   Permalink

Do yourself a favor and if you are visiting Oahu find out where Taimane is performing (i recommend the Hyatts Elegant Dive bar at sunset with $5 mai tais from 5-6) and witness ukulele being played in a mind blowing performance. Thank me later! http://taimane.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Mongoloid 2010-02-28 10:22 ]

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-28 10:59 am   Permalink

Luckily, no problems with thieves! The only loss suffered was two pair of earrings I was bringing home for souvenirs that somehow managed to fall out of the suitcase or something...who knows. Such is life! Hawaii was amazing! Baileys for shirts was an overwhelming experience. I had no idea what rack to start on or move to next! Came home with 3 short sleeve shirts, one long sleeve, and a jacket! Be prepared for a hike if you walk to it, though...it was a long way from Hilton Hawaiian Village! Oddly enough, locals kept asking where we got our vintage aloha shirts. They said they can never find them there, which explains why we had no luck at the thrift stores. LaMariana is a dream....completely delightful, charming, and eclectic with amazing food.
Over on the Big Island, Honaunau Place of Refuge was really a sight to see. We were lucky enough that a monk seal came on shore there to sun himself while we were there. He was one of the highlights of the trip. We had paid for the cheapest room at Royal Kona, but they ended up putting us in an ocean front room that was just incredible! The sunsets...oh man....and the waves pounding the shore all night to lull you to sleep. And from our balcony, we could see Don Beachcombers. Watched them light the torches both nights we were there, then had dinner down there. The food was excellent.
One of the things that stands out to me the most was that it smelled so good everywhere we went. There was a continuous breeze, and there was always the smell of flowers, fruit, or just fresh air. The temps could not have been more perfect. It's also a bird watcher or gardener's dream vacation. I could not believe all the philodendrons and gingers and all growing so huge, then all the different kinds of birds. It really is like another country. Can't wait to go back!

View Profile of SouthBamaTiki Send a personal message to SouthBamaTiki  Email SouthBamaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-01 2:45 pm   Permalink

Nah you never have problems with thieves in Hawaii, there is no such thing as stealing, they just call it small kine Hawaiian borrowing!

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-01 5:00 pm   Permalink

Aah, SouthBamaTiki,
You're bringing me back!
Just like that!
I just took a mini-Hawaiian vacation, just by reading your post.

(And I was actually at the Mai Kai Saturday night, and *still* I'm jealous of you!)
So so happy that it was all perfect for you!

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 06:27 am   Permalink

Our trip to the Big Island is coming up at the end of April. (Gonna have SOME fun!) So, for those of you who've been there lately, can you give me some more Mai Tai advice? Do any of the bars have one worth paying for? If not, what's a guy to drink?

Is alcohol sold in grocery stores or liquor stores? Should I just bring rum and mixes from home, carefully wrapped?

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 12:06 pm   Permalink

Bongo Bungalow said, "Our trip to the Big Island is coming up at the end of April. (Gonna have SOME fun!) So, for those of you who've been there lately, can you give me some more Mai Tai advice?"

The Happy Hour ones at Don the Beachcomber are acceptable, both in content and price. If you can get Thomas (Ali'i Tiki) from Bamboo Too to join you (which takes very little arm twisting!), he can also point out all on the menu worth getting or avoiding.

"Is alcohol sold in grocery stores or liquor stores?"

Yes!
My big "report" post on p.8 mentions Long Drugs and I think the Save-On(?) grocery store, both in the same big shopping center at the beginning of Kailua Kona as places where we bought booze and mixers. We went ahead and ended up getting Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix and a couple of bottles of rum (dark and light), plus limes, and we were perfectly happy. You can get tiki mugs from the Hilo Hattie's at the same center, or get some Tiki Farm ones from Zan's stall in the [international?] marketplace closer to the airport (also in my post). A liquor store across the street from the big marketplace also has everything. That is, you can go the whole orgeat/Curacao/rock candy syrup route too, available at the drugstore, grocery store, and liquor store.

It's a boozer's paradise!!

"Should I just bring rum and mixes from home, carefully wrapped?"

Nope! Get it all, and leave the undrunk behind for someone worthy

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 5:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks for filling in the details Formikaini! Formikahini!

[ This Message was edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2010-03-02 17:35 ]

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation