FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Hawaii Vacation Tips
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Hawaii Vacation Tips
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-31 9:03 pm   Permalink

Well, the Jab's list for Waikiki is pretty complete...

So La Mariana's is at 50 Sand Island Road and Auiki Street, Tel 848 28 00

Try to find the Hawaiian Hut/South Seas Village show venue, near the Ala Moana Shopping Center, it still has some nice artefacts, it's the last of the Spencecliff Restaurants. And go to the International Marketplace and look for the Beachcomber's Treehouse and the deserted Trader Vic's upstairs.

The Hawaiian Antique Center at 932 Kapahulu Ave. before Kaimuki Ave. has nice stuff, but not cheap...

And don't miss snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and if you are there for a week, you should make the drive up to the Mormon run Polynesian Cultural Center for a day.

Maybe you'll find Allen St. James preaching there... : )

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 08:10 am   Permalink

Aloha's,
Don't take pictures of the hookers in Waikiki! They will attack you in a bad way and destroy your camera!
No more boats along the Napali Coast on Kauai (they banned the boats but kept the helicoptors. does that make sence??). You have to hike the trail by foot the old way, but it's better anyway. Wear all white clothes and you will have orange red suvenior's for life! Rent a house in Hanalei, not a condo.If you paddle up the Hanalei river, say Aloha to the cows for me. Bring an ice chest full of booze in your kayak. The cows love a mai tai. And, say Aloha to Aunty Louise at Tahiti Nui. she's one of a kine!
Maui. go to the 7 sacred pools and hike the trail up 3-4 miles. You will hate guava after that. But, when you get to the Giant Bamboo forest, you will be stoked!! Go off the trail once inside of it and it is an awesome trip! Get back on the trail and keep heading up to the waterfall. It's a big one! And, there are all sorts of wild Hemp plants growing from the locals enjoying it. On your way down , screw the trail and take the water route as far as you can (some of the falls are a little to steep so back to the trail and then back to the water!!). The trip there is a nutty drive so don't be too hung-over. End of the road past Hana.
If you go snorkeling in Hananuma Bay, rent your gear at "Snorkel Bob's, cause he cares." Rub salami all over your body(don't let anyone see you do this) and you will be the most popular person in the water!!! Or, play a trick on your pals and sneak some into their suits!! It's a blast!!
One more thing. If you are in Waikiki, stop by the tree on the beach by the Sheraton and say hi to Don Hildreth (my father in law) and tell him you know me and he might hook you up on a outrigger ride. Or, at least party you down at happy hour at the circle bar! God I need a vacation!!
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Da Kine

Posted: 2002-08-01 10:05 am   Permalink

For da Weird Unc:
You'll have a great time on O'ahu...it's da best despite the L.A. feeling in Honolulu. In Waikiki one of the best kept secrets is the outrigger canoe ride for 5 bucks hosted by the Waikiki Beach Boys. The easiest way to find them is walk through "Duke's" at Waikiki and turn right on the beach. It's a great ride on the surf in a canoe just like you see on "Hawaii Five-O".
There are tons of places to eat good "grinds" just ask any local for their favorite plate lunch wagon and you won't go wrong.
L@L Drive Inn, they're all over the island, has a great chicken katsu for around 5 bucks. Out North Shore way in Kahuku don't miss Giovanni's white shrimp truck. They have a plate lunch of shrimp scampi that is incredible. A little pricey at 11 bucks a plate but the garlic lasts forever. Other than surfing, outrigger paddling, and other water stuff the second most popular sport in Hawaii is eating. Oh, I forgot to mention the malasadas (a Portugese donut) at Leonard's on Kapahulu Avenue in Waikiki.
Aloha nui loa,
Da Kine

View Profile of Da Kine Send a personal message to Da Kine  Goto the website of Da Kine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 10:10 am   Permalink

A must is rainbow Shave Ice at Matsumoto's in Haleiwa.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 11:02 am   Permalink

I agree with Bamboo Ben - Snorkle Bob's is the best to rent your gear from!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 11:53 am   Permalink

I must agree with most posts the Big Island is the best! Great local farmers market on Alii Dr. The best sandwich in the world is at a little bar/restaurant just across the King Kam Hotel on Alii Dr. in Kona, Hawaii! It is a hot crab salad sandwich and they call it the Kona Gold. I believe the place is "Lucilles almost by the Sea" ask anyone in Kona where this place is-they'll know. They stay open past the bars too! We had one almost every night! It's worth the trip just for this sandwich! MMMMMMMM sound's silly but true!
If you (or anyone out there) is a diver, there is a must see off the Big Island. They have a night dive where you go to about 45' sit around a giant light and hold a flashlight above your head. In minutes the giants come! A species of Manta Ray only found there! One of the most exciting dives ever! We saw 5, about 16 feet wide, gracefully swirling above our group, comming with-in inches of our heads to feed on the plankton attracted by our flashlights. It's worth getting Scuba Certified for this once in a lifetime experience!
Other islands have great dives also, many wrecks off Ohau (we dove a huge Mine Sweeper Ship, WWII airplane, and a cave), and a lot of life off Maui.
If you dive while the whales are migrating (Dec.Jan. and early Feb.) You can hear them sing underwater. It is beautiful. You can easily watch them from shore at that time of year also.
Get Scuba Certified if you are planning a trip to Hawaii. There is as much to see underwater as above!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 12:22 pm   Permalink

On Oahu: Make sure you go to Sunset Beach on the North Shore. It's a great beach with many locals and if you're feeling brave or crazy you can jump off the giant rock (don't try this at home, kids)! I've done this a couple of times but that was about 10 years ago! I don't think I could do this now!

Also, if you get hungry for a plate lunch in Waikiki, one of my favorite places is the Rainbow Drive-In just up the street from Kapiolani Park. The "Mixed Plate" comes with teriaki beef, chicken, and fish with 2 scoop rice, one scoop macaroni salad! Ono ono!

On Kauai, check out Captain Zodiac's rafting tours. My wife and I were able to see dolphins and sea turtles and they take you into these really cool caves along the coast.

And if you really want to splurge charter a fishing boat. I did this one time with some friends and we caught Ahi Tuna. We had a great day fishing, took it back to the condo and cooked it up! We ate like kings! Great fun!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 12:30 pm   Permalink

Oh stop it you guys... you are making me sooo homesick for Hawai'i.

Anyone know a travel agent who could put together an inexpensive annual Tiki Centralite trek to Hawaii?

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 12:46 pm   Permalink

OAHU:
For expert body surfing, Sandy Beach. A local spot. The waves crash right on the beach. Strong current wear your flips.
Ditto on Rainbow Drive-In thanks stentiki for the flashback.
Kauai:
Ditto again on the Zodiac trip. My wife and I did a 2 1/2 hour each way trip. In and out of sea caves and lunch at a deserted beach. You and your group of 12. Nearby were some Hawaiian temple ruins.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 12:55 pm   Permalink

Woweewow!
Tiki Central comes through again! Thanks so much for all your tips. I can't wait to get there and start eating, drinking, diving and relaxing(after my one day of work) my way through Oahu. Full report to follow!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

p.s. Anyone have info on the swapmeet at the football stadium in Honolulu?

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 12:58 pm   Permalink

Anyone know about the Copper Bar at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel? I can't remember who told me about it. I think it was a girl on the Luxuriamusic.com chat room who lived there. Well, not at the bar, but in Hawaii. Seems there are great sunset views, Mai Tai's and music. Might be worth a look.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-08-01 1:34 pm   Permalink

Another place in Waikiki I forgot to mention is Buzz's Steakhouse at the Ohana Waikiki Reef Lanai Hotel. It's an older place with polynesian decor, a few small tikis, and low-priced tasty food. The address is 225 Saratoga Rd (near Ft De Russy) tel 808-923-6762. That's within walking distance of many Waikiki hotels (including the Hawaiiana Hotel). Here's a pic of the hotel it's at (you can see the restaurant's bamboo covered lanai on the ground floor):
http://www.webtourist.net/usa/hawaii/honolulu/141413.html

There is also an Original Buzz's at 413 Kawailoa Road, Kailua, HI 96734. That's on the windward coast. There are also some uncrowded beautiful beaches there.

There's another Original Buzz's at 98-751 Kuahao Pl., Pearl City, HI 96782-3100(Pearl City District) Tel. (808) 487-6465.

I haven't been to the 2 other Buzz's but they might be worth checking out.

Another old steakhouse in Waikiki is Chuck's, since 1959:
http://www.restaurantswaikiki.com/chucks_history.htm

I wish I were going. Aloha, weirdunc!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 2:51 pm   Permalink

"...p.s. Anyone have info on the swapmeet at the football stadium in Honolulu?"

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop 2013-02-04 20:02 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 3:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha to all,

If there are Tiki Centralites coming to da islands be sure to give me an email and we can meet at my favorite Tiki bar La Mariana for a few drinks and talk story! That goes for anybody! Since I don't plan on going to the mainland any time soon so I wont be able to meet any centralites unless u guys & girls come here. drop me an e-mail wierdunc.
live Aloha

Gecko
dakai1999@aol.com

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation