FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Gallery Buzzy's Career Retrospective: 2005-2010
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Buzzy's Career Retrospective: 2005-2010
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 3:48 pm   Permalink

Tiki #159 Tahitian Back to Back Tiki Drum (Drum #8)

It's drum #8 when I started, but I finished it after I did drum # 13
This was a really challenging carve. I did the rough out of the drum many months before I finished the detail carving. It was the nicest piece of wood I've used for a drum that I've found. I wanted to really push the limits of it for this one, and it took me a while to come up with something different than the other Tahitian drums I did. In a flash of inspiration, I thought i'd give the back to back tikis on the legs a try...
I think that he finished product is the overall best drum I've done so far.

The three designs on the bell are "hidden" tiki faces. i made them as full bodied tikis as well. they're hard to see, but the designs under the faces are attempts at abstracted tiki bodies. I didn't want them to be too obvious, but to be just a little subtle:

And as a bonus, it sounds really good. Kind of like the loudest bongo drum you've ever heard.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 4:30 pm   Permalink

Mug #8-ClayCo Joe's Hapawood Lava Tiki Mug-Glazed by Babalu

This is my tribute the greatest company in the history of all companies: Coco Joe's

It's a one of one hand built slab mug, which sat on the kiln shelf since I sculpted it in January. Babalu got sick of looking at it, so he glazed it for me last week:

Wood grained background

ClayCo Joe's logo:

Luxurious red interior:

It features a short headress KU:

Another fine San Diego Tiki Factory product:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 4:35 pm   Permalink

Mini Tiki # Fortysomething- "Log Bob" Tiki Bob Tribute

I carved this tribute to a classic tiki icon from a piece of a coral tree (Erythrina) that grows in my yard:

Buzzy Out!

tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 5:46 pm   Permalink

ur Tiki Bob very Rad .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-16 11:12 am   Permalink

Tiki #173 Tahitian tall Leg Tiki Drum (Drum #14)

This one started out as a prototype for barstool and it didn't quite work, so I hollowed out the seat and turned it into this drum:

I found a great piece of goat head for it:

It's actually a piece grade "B" hide, but I think it works much better than the "A" grade stuff. The b pieces come all natural looking and are moldy and discolored. They feel and sound better too..

The feet were reinforced with wood dowels so they will not snap off

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-16 11:17 am   Permalink

Mini tiki #fortysomething else- Front Facing Moai Pendant

Carved from a scrap of Mexican fan palm with a hookknife:

Buzzy Out!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 5:44 pm   Permalink

Tiki #167 Round head KU

This one was carved on a split log of Mexican Fan Palm. Although it can stand unsupported,it was made to be hung on a wall.

Buzzy Out!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 5:51 pm   Permalink

Tiki #169 Kanaloa wall hanger

Another fan palm split log made to hang. This one stands unsupported as well:

Buzzy Out!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 11:29 pm   Permalink

Tiki #168 Kaneloano

Another freestanding wall hanging split log Hawaiian Tiki carved from Mexican Fan palm

Buzzy Out!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 11:43 pm   Permalink

Tiki #172 Torso Moai

I tried a different style of Moai for this one. It's done on a split log of Mexican Fan Palm.

Buzzy Out!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 9:05 pm   Permalink

Wonnaful, wonnaful, wonnaful! As in "full of wonder"! If there ever was a an example for the Horn of Plenty that lies in Polynesian pop in terms of the variety of designs, and the infinite possible variations on them, your work is it. It is proof that copying and repeating stuff over and over is just not necessary. Tiki IS creativity, and you got it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigAndyB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-20 03:12 am   Permalink

damn, thats a whole lotta tiki! loving your work, some really inspirational pieces here, especially love the porch support pole tikis they're fab, keep it up

View Profile of BigAndyB Send a personal message to BigAndyB      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 11:53 am   Permalink

Buzzy! Your latest installment of pieces- amazing! As some clown from TikiMag said, your diversity is your instant ace in the hole. Been watching the progress of #173 Tahitian Tiki Drum and it turned out beautifully. Smart call on the reinforcement should somebody go totally bongo-nuts on it. The "natural" Bob & Moai pendant are awesome. The #169 Kanaloa is stoically cool and the #167 Ku pretty much makes me tear up. The personality in that guy is huge.

BRA-VO!!!

get back to work...

-Andy

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 3:36 pm   Permalink

Tiki #174 Bak2Bak Mark Hidden Face 35"t x 10.5"w x 5"d Carved out of Mexican Fan Palm

Buzzy Out!

Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-21 5:02 pm   Permalink

Finally got to see the chairs you carved for Frankie's. If I were only a tad more unscrupulous I would have run out with a couple, though I probably would have tripped cause it's so damn dark in there. Good stuff!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation