[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Pago Pago Bar Next to Disney Studios
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Pago Pago Bar Next to Disney Studios
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 06:29 am   Permalink

I am looking for any information about the Pago Pago bar that was located across the street from the Walt Disney Studios in the 1940s. It was located on the East Corner of Buena Vista and Alameda. I believe the building is still standing but is now a travel office for the Disney company. Any help or images would be appreciated. Apparently the Pago Pago was the watering hole for the animators.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 09:14 am   Permalink

Have you checked any of the bios of Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas, Ward Kimball, etc? Ollie Johnston is the last of the Nine Old Men still living. Maybe try contacting him directly? Also, some years ago I spoke with Michael Broggie (son of Roger Broggie - first Imagineer, before they called them that). He practically grew up on the Disney lot. He later wrote the Disney trains book. You can probably contact him fairly easily. Website is here.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 11:12 am   Permalink

I think this is the first I've heard of it, and I'd love to learn more! Where did you learn the little bit you know so far?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 3:27 pm   Permalink

I seem to recall a quick mention in a DiSneyland expose book I'm currently reading. I'll go see if I can find it....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-04 3:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions all but there is no mention in any of the Disney History books. Most talk about going to the Tam O'Shanter which has a large Disney history attached to it.

Humu- I posted a hand drawn postcard on my blog and received a rather lengthy post explaining all the sights noted on the postcard.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-04 4:31 pm   Permalink

Don't know how helpful this will be, but what the hey:

This is a snapshot of a Google maps image of the area. I added the highlights of the Disney Studios, the intersection of Buena Vista & Alameda, and the alley. From the note you received on your blog:

Quote:
The pago pago was the local "studio" bar across the street from the studio East of the corner of Buena Vista St. and Alameda. (even warner bros. had their watering hole as well) Its now an unmarked Disney building that holds the travel office. (If you drove the alley to the pago, one would see all the studio work bikes parked in the alley).

Since (s)he says it was across the street from the Studios, east of the Buena Vista & Alameda intersection, and that there was an alley behind it, that seems to narrow it down to five possible buildings (with perhaps those closest to the named intersection the most likely suspects?). Perhaps someone more acquainted with the buildings can tell us more about what's in those buildings today, and if any of them date back to '47? Unfortunately, A9.com yanked their BlockView service a few weeks ago, that would have given us street-level photos of the buildings.

p.s. -- "even warner bros. had their watering hole as well" could possibly be a reference to the China Trader -- that's where the Hawaiian Eye crew hung out when they weren't filming on what I believe was the Warner Bros. lot. Dunno though -- I suppose any bar in the area was a watering hole for people at the studios.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2006-11-04 16:34 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-04 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-04 16:31, Humuhumu wrote:
Unfortunately, A9.com yanked their BlockView service a few weeks ago, that would have given us street-level photos of the buildings.

Well now, that's a bummer. I liked that service and was hoping they'd add more cities.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-04 10:41 pm   Permalink

Here's that area from http://local.live.com/

[ This Message was edited by: TikiPhil 2006-11-04 22:42 ]

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-04 11:53 pm   Permalink

Somewhere someone told me that the supposedly the animators had an UNDERGROUND PASSAGE to that bar...which always sounded intriguing, but highly unlikely. The Disney fan lore is sometimes even more "urban myth" inspired than any Tiki stories ever could be.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-05 04:36 am   Permalink

Interesting post, surfed web everywhere looking for info on Pago Pago Bar. ZIP!!!!

Thortiki

PS This joint must have been fairly short lived IF it did exist
in whatever form. Cool thread topic!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-05 05:49 am   Permalink

somewhere I have the matchbook from that bar, I'll look around.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-05 1:09 pm   Permalink

I have yet to see any proof of that Burbank one on paper. Might have just been a lowbudge joint with no money for printed paper paraphenalia.
There were several Pago Pago bars in the history of Polynesian Pop, starting in the Pre-Tiki era. There was one in Long Beach, one in Arizona,...where else? Anybody?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-05 2:22 pm   Permalink

There was a Pago Pago in Portland, OR. Information on these joints seems pretty hard to come by.

-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-05 5:00 pm   Permalink

Arkiva Tropika has 8 paper items with Pago Pago ~ but nothing for the Calif location..

Puamana ~ anything else in your Arkiva that hasn't yet been posted?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-06 10:12 am   Permalink

Of course! Why look far away when great sources are so nearby. Any Pago Pagos on Critiki? Here's a good one, from Humu's Blog, from the SF airport exhibit:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/sfoexhibit/P1020667.JPG.html

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation