FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » TeaKEY's critikeys (starting new p12)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
TeaKEY's critikeys (starting new p12)
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 2:11 pm   Permalink

That Rolling Out at Tikifarm was posted the same day, I believe, that the question was asked in Collecting. Coincident, I think not.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 2:37 pm   Permalink

Where to find them: Standing at the door of many traditional restaurants in Japan. Statues of tanuki, holding a bottle of sake, welcome guests arriving to eat. Real tanuki are not so easy to find, but are quite abundant from Honshu to Kyushu. They live in lowlands, forests and mountain valleys (up to 2,000 meters in altitude) and sometimes come into gardens looking for food. Unfortunately for them, this can bring them into contact with dogs, from which they can catch dangerous diseases. Food: Almost anything. Tanuki are the classic omnivores, eating rodents, lizards, frogs, fruit, berries, insects and other invertebrates, including slugs and snails. They can even stomach poisonous toads, apparently producing huge amounts of saliva that dilutes the toad's poison. Special features: Tanuki don't usually carry bottles of sake, but the statues are correct about their biology in one important detail: testes size. Rather than being used as an impromptu drum, as Japanese folklore would have it, the scrotum is large because of high levels of competition among males for females. This means that they copulate very frequently -- and need large testes. Also, according to folklore, tanuki can change shape at will. Despite their playful nature, tanuki are wild animals. provided by Filslash

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2006-11-13 8:44 pm   Permalink

The Bigfoot Lodge should have a mug! I know it's not a Tiki Bar but they really should.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 10:00 pm   Permalink

I'm reading...keep it coming gang.

I agree on the matte/satin glaze vs. gloss particularly for highly detailed carving.
Gloss glazes tend to be thicker and thus obscure detail. Holden and I are working on that for the new squid squlls. It's a matter of finding the right "been buried for 100 years" look. It's an extra step to glaze inside gloss but I think worth it.

What do you think about other products that you'd like to see in ceramic other than mugs?

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 10:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-13 22:00, squid wrote:
What do you think about other products that you'd like to see in ceramic other than mugs?

I'd love to see more ceramic pendants, possibly ones that go with a matching or complementary mug.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 10:15 pm   Permalink

Swizzle Sticks! (actually that was Bora Boris' idea....) um....pendants! Wall Plaques! Incense Holders! Bongs! um......toliets! Castenetts(sp?) you know, those things you clink together with your fingers...Hobo leaning on a lamppost and WC Fields figurines! Tiki Cookie Jars!Wigwam Mystery Bowls! GROG banks (I'd love to push quarters into Ernie's skull)! Marionettes! Tiki Plates! Mardi Gras Mask Wall Hangings! Squid Commemorative Plates! Squid Commemorative Mardi Gras Plates! Tiki Wind Chimes! Ouch!That's it for now! C'mon TC-ers what else would you like to see in Ceramic? There's a lotta you out there with a lotta brain-power sooooooooo
C'mon! Chime in!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2006-11-14 12:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

Those things that you can lay spoons on while you're cooking and Little Lost Tiki's Piggy Bank request sounds good.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2006-11-14 00:12 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 01:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-13 22:04, JenTiki wrote:
Quote:

I'd love to see more ceramic pendants, possibly ones that go with a matching or complementary mug.

I'd go for that. Definitely with complementary mug!
PS: JenTiki gets the award for correct spelling/usage of complementary!

Swizzle/pendant idea is good as it fills a practical need and could look really cool hanging around the neck as well. The only difficulty is the ceramic typically used for mugs is not that durable (See Tiki Mug Misfortunes thread...ouch). They would have to be made of a high-fire porcelain like a mortar and pestle or carved from stone. Maybe this is a job for Paipo or the other stone carvers out there!

Has anyone seen Little Lost's meds? I'll get to work on a Smurfette tissue box cover. That should keep him calm....for now.

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-14 03:45 am   Permalink

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if it would be possible to have lava lamps that have bases and tops that are custom ceramic?

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 05:49 am   Permalink

Koolau

You right on the skinny on this one. I buy the mugs / shot glasses by the dozen. When people come over they drink out of them then take them home. They be happy so that make me happy.

Some of these 'mug' collections remind me when the old man used to drag me to Queens and the people used to have plastic on the couches. I still have nightmares of that plastic sticking to my face !!!!!

And that's how I see it Tuesday November 14, 2006

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2006-11-14 08:47 am   Permalink

Please forgive me for writing this -

"Those things that you can lay spoons on while you're cooking"

I was trying to come up with something that hadn't been written yet and turned into a Grandmother.

I apologize.

- Boris

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2006-11-14 08:48 ]

dibroc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 09:00 am   Permalink

I put my spoons on the stove, you mean there is something else?

View Profile of dibroc Send a personal message to dibroc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 09:48 am   Permalink

How about things you can put your spoons on while cooking that look like GROG!?!?!?
Sorry Dave,forgot my meds again... I'll make sure to take them before Brad's opening...
GROG piggy banks! (Is that redundant?)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dibroc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 10:50 am   Permalink

I picked up my "Grog Art" spoon rest at the Tonga Hut on Saturday night. I was going to get the matching nut cracker but someone beat me to it. Anyone else get "Grog Art".

View Profile of dibroc Send a personal message to dibroc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-14 08:47, Bora Boris wrote:
Please forgive me for writing this -

"Those things that you can lay spoons on while you're cooking"

I was trying to come up with something that hadn't been written yet and turned into a Grandmother.

I apologize.

- Boris

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2006-11-14 08:48 ]

I consulted Mrs. Squid who sez they are called.....ta da....."spoon rests". Spoons work hard ya know! It's not a bad idea at all. I think you're on to something Granny Boris. However a Grog Spoon Rest might curdle whatever residual stuff is on the spoon.

So would a kitchen set be good? Cooks please chime in:

•Spoon Rest
•Trivet (The thingy you put hot pots and pans on)
•Utensil holder (Mug-like only bigger, flared wide mouth)
•Toothpick holder
•Salt and Pepper
•Corked matching spice jar set (6 or maaybe with a cool bamboo rack!

Watcha think TeaKey?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation