FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving ****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-28 4:58 pm   Permalink

Wow, thanks a lot! I'm honored you all think so!

I started a new one today btw. more to come.

Thanks again!

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 6:07 pm   Permalink

You asked for it Benzart. Here is what I have been working on. "Paddleman" is a 7 foot hunk of cedar that fell in my yard a few years ago. The relief carving on his forehead is a canoe that I saw built on Maui by a team from Yap, a tiny Micronesian island. The bottom portion, front of Paddleman will have red teeth as the crew chewed beetlenut or "boo", a mild stimulant that they would wrap in leaf, spritz with lime juice and chew. They all had red chicklets from the nut.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 6:45 pm   Permalink

WHOOOOAA!! That is cool. I really like all the detail in that piece. You said cedar, How long does it take for a piece that size to dry? I have a couple of small pieces that i'm not too sure what to do with just yet.

That looks amazing and looks like you've put quite a bit of time into it. Great Job and thanks for posting!!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 08:19 am   Permalink

Hi Nixxon- I really don't know as I can't wait to start whackin' away. This piece was cut and left for about a year, but I could feel the water hitting me in the face as I carved deeper. That just means to go on to another project for a while and come back in a few weeks. The piece will continue to crack as it dries but if you follow the grain as you go it cracks in all the right places ,(well mostly anyway) I'd rather work on it too wet then too dry. I'm hoping TravnerRavenWeird has a rum jug big enough to make him a bottle stopper.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 08:39 am   Permalink

HAHA!! Well if you do in fact find a rum jug large enough I will be more than happy to come and help you drink it

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-29 2:00 pm   Permalink

I'll keep my eyes open.

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-26 11:53 am   Permalink

Whoa, did I kill this thread?? Well if I did let me poke it with a stick.

So, Ive been doing the little bottle stopper thing at my desk at work, which is cool, but at home I started playing a little bigger. I had a mallet, some wood chisels and a little saw and started doing this. (about a week apart from left to right, I dont get a chance to beat on it like I would like to)

Which is taking For Ever! Needless to say, my Squire blade is in the mail

Oh and it's Ash BTW. Stupid emerald ash borers!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-26 3:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Oh and it's Ash BTW. Stupid emerald ash borers!

Yeah you can get wood borers in any (most?) trees. I had a piece of pecan full of metalic beetles. They were golden.

It's looking pretty good. How about a larger pic??

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-26 3:24 pm   Permalink

Here's a Tiki carving!

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-27 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-26 15:02, TheBigT wrote:
How about a larger pic??

Thanks very much! I actually thought is was larger until I posted it. I took it with my cell phone which isn't very good. I have to get my camera charged.....I have to find my camera and get it charged. I'm getting my bottle stoppers finished slowly and I'll need it to take pics of those as well.

Soon.

I got my carving knives in the mail yesterday which I'm fighting the urge to play with until after I get the lawn mowed which isn't easy.....and now I'm here.

TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-27 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-26 15:24, kirby wrote:
Here's a Tiki carving!

Those are Awesome!

Wait, it's one. Still Awesome.

[ This Message was edited by: TravnerRavenweird 2011-08-27 14:57 ]

TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-06 1:47 pm   Permalink

So, it's been a year and I finally finished my first large piece this last weekend. 37 inches tall made of Ash from my backyard tree.

Sorry in advance for the smallish pictures. I'll do better next time I promise.

Left to Right: Here it is the after some wood burner use in the facial features and tattoos and some rudimentary torching. (too windy that day)
A coat of stain and after the placement of the Abalone eyes. (old button I had in my leather working stuff)

So I need to read up on finishes for the future, but I chose a satin poly spar for three reasons; I wanted the grain to pop more than it was, I'm not sure if it will go outside to live, and I saw one in the Minneapolis Institute of Art that had more of a sheen than not so I went with it. But I have to say, as a rule I'm not really in to the shiny Tikis.

So here it is.

Thanks for looking

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-25 07:19 am   Permalink

Excellent Tiki Travner!
KIRBY, you ARE finally learning to Carve! Excellent stuff!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 1:33 pm   Permalink

now i feel a bit ASHAMED of my simple offerings..

..hmm...actually..nope, STILL happy with em..and they are AVAILABLE
should anyone want a menu-inspired tike..preferably in AZ

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 4:17 pm   Permalink

Those look terrific to me. Nice colors.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation