FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving ****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-15 4:00 pm   Permalink

Ah HA!
Well since I'm not being prolific enough to feel like I warrant my own thread yet, I'll just keep posting on this one.
So it's been a while, had some "life" stuff, moved the family from Minneapolis Mn, to Everett Wa, like one does. Anyway I Finally started a new carve. Found a piece of driftwood at the beach, thought it was a nice solid piece of something, but it has turned out to be a chewy pain. I'm still trying to make a silk purse out of this sow's ear, so here's my progress:

I'm trying to do the "carve deep" thing, but I'm having a trouble with my wood holding together. I'm dreading sanding this thing, anyway, here's the face so far.

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-15 4:22 pm   Permalink

Driftwood is always full of surprises. Looks great from where I'm sitting and...you get extra credit for going all the way through between the legs!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
For the Love of Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-16 07:27 am   Permalink

Excellent progress... shaping up to be one cool tiki!

View Profile of For the Love of Tiki Send a personal message to For the Love of Tiki  Email For the Love of Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-16 12:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks gang!
Yeah, that's when I found out how truly full of water this guy was was when I went through the legs. It was a mushy, pulpy mess in the center of this little log.

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 05:44 am   Permalink

Usually the maker is the worst critic! It looks great to me...do you mention what type of wood it is?

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-19 10:14 am   Permalink

No idea what kind of wood it is. I thought it might be pine, but it seems really stringy. Heck it could be Rhododendron for all I know.
The first picture in the progress pictures is almost exactly how I found it except for the ends I cut off.
Thanks! I hope to have more progress pictures to post soon. I have all the Sharpie sanded off and am trying to get some tattoos carved on the limbs.

Kai Koa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-19 3:51 pm   Permalink

New to carving, but was inspired from my recent trip to the Big Island.
Here's a couple pieces I've done:

And this is the current carving:

View Profile of Kai Koa Send a personal message to Kai Koa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-19 4:28 pm   Permalink

Nice! And It looks like we're almost neighbors...at least compared to a lot of people on here.

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 5:03 pm   Permalink

You must live close to Cy...

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kai Koa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-20 09:02 am   Permalink

Thanx! I am close, from the Shoreline area.
Added black on the latest tiki, next is to find a stain color I like.

View Profile of Kai Koa Send a personal message to Kai Koa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kai Koa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-22 3:09 pm   Permalink

Done!

TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-23 12:54 pm   Permalink

Very nice! I'm hoping to get mine in some state of finished this weekend.

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 2:24 pm   Permalink

your designs are solid...

just carve deeper bro... you'll like what happens. I promise...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kai Koa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-23 4:23 pm   Permalink

Thanx guys, and pjc5150 thanx for the tip, this is my 3rd Tiki, so any advice is greatly appreciated. This Tiki was first created in a painting by a good friend and great artist Brad "Tiki Shark" Parker and I wanted to match it as close as possible so I didn't go too deep on carving this guy. Here is a picture of the painting Kon-Tiki Dream:

Kai Koa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-01 6:04 pm   Permalink

Red Tiki.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation