FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving ****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-10 10:22 pm   Permalink

Hello! This is my very first TC post. Tiki Central is a pretty rockin' site. You guys are danged talented. I heard more Tiki images were being hollered for, so I wanted to add some of my own.

This one is a stick shift knob that I sculpted out of clay, then cast in resin.

The lantern was also sculpted out of clay, then cast in ceramic using a slip mold. It's about 7" high.

At this point I am getting into carving Tikis out of wood, but I don't know a whole lot about finishes, weatherproofing, where to score palm logs, and stuff like that. Maybe some of you can help an inquisitive brother out. I have a few wood carvings but have not photographed them yet.

Anywhoo, it's great to be here at Tiki Central!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-10 10:44 pm   Permalink

Hey Tikidav, let me be the first to welcome you!

You certainly seem to know what you are trying to achieve. Ive always thought that the 'vision' of what you want is the most important aspect of carving. The clearer the vision, the better the end result... Im sure you will have no problem pulling some cool images from wood.

At one time I called myself a ceramicist/potter & know that you have made it look easy with those two. Very clean & sculptural. Well done!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 05:23 am   Permalink

Yes, Welcome to Tiki Central, or TC as we affectionately call it, glad to have you aboard. It seems that you have quite a talent as these 2 pieces say a Lot about your ability as a sculptor. As Tama said, they are Very clean and that is Not easy. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work and definitely some wood stuff. Thanks.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 08:15 am   Permalink

Welcome Tikidav!
A lot of your questions are answered in previous posts, just keep searching. I keep finding new gems everyday as I scour though the old posts.
Being in La Mesa, keep an eye out for people chopping down old palm trees, that's one great source of wood.
I'm actually trying to get a little backyard carving event together in San Diego, hopefully you can make it, it would be a great chance to get some tips on how to use tools. Here's the info:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21738&forum=7&2

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-10 14:21, Jungle Trader wrote:
Aloha Stentiki, I see you've been influenced by Bosko too. Long time no see, glad you're doing better. Nice work!!

Hey JT,

Yeah, Bosko and Danny helped me a lot with the design at the Oki Oki and I've always admired Bosko's work. Mahaloz for the encouragement! You too Benzart.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 2:00 pm   Permalink

Here is a finish pic of the hook I started earlier in the week.

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-11 5:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the responses. Now I want to see what everybody else's work looks like! I poked around a little and found a few images.

Tama: Your Maori greenstone carvings are beautiful. What tools do you use to carve them? I'm posting a portrait bust of Maori Chief Te Rangi that I sculpted a few years ago. Maybe you are familiar with this guy? Your words of wisdom about "vision" are so true.

Benzart and Mieko: Your work is great. I am so impressed with the size of your carvings. Most of what I do is in the "knick-knack" size range.

Mieko: You are right, I will probably find all the answers I'm looking for in previous posts. TC is a huge site so I will have to be dilligent. Thanks for the invite to SD Chop Chop. I'm posting a reply for you on the Chop Chop forum.

...and Finkdaddy: Gorgeous fish hook!

Here's a shot of one of my wood carvings. I called it Ali'i (chief). It's eucalyptus. The wood is hard and very nice to carve, but it's difficult to get a piece that is not splitting. I wasn't real happy with the stain on this one. Too dark says I!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 6:02 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC Tikidav. Glad you came out of the woodwork. That bust is phenomenal.

This thread is great- It's pulled a few lurkers in. Welcome all.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-11 6:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks JohnnyP. Yep, I am a lurker no more!

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-11 11:42 pm   Permalink

Wait! Wow! Who is this guy?! Very great stuff! Thanks or sharing it, and thanks for coming out of the shadows! Show us some more stuff!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-10 15:49, Benzart wrote:
Nice one Mike-stobbe, and Big WELCOME to Tiki Central. Thanks for posting. How many tikis have you carved? You look like you know your way around the tools.

Thanks Ben , I haven't done many . I was actually at teh carving seminar at Matt's house . I've been an artist all my life so I just sort of needed a few people with a little hands on experiance to point me in the right direction . Anyhow I'll post a few pictures of it when he's done . Thanks again !

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 1:04 pm   Permalink

WOW, Big Welcome Tikidave, I am So Humbled. I know that face well, only I have just seen Photographs and paintings of Chief Te Rangi, and your ability to capture All that character is unbelievable. I would Love to be able to carve a bust of him or some of the other famous Chiefs, but lack that ability. I would give you my left arm for that peice.
Your tikis are a very pleasant sight to see, so Clean and traditional with an added Zing that certainly sets them apart from the norm. Sure wish I could have met you a few weeks ago when we were out in San Diego for the Left Coast OkiOki. Maybe next time. If there are any quewstions you want to ask, PM me Any time.
Finky, Nice hook and as I said on your thread, you won't see me carving any hooks. You guys are too good. I have to carve stuff that nobody does so you don't show me up!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 2:16 pm   Permalink

SWEET! Welcome to TC.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 2:25 pm   Permalink

Wow! Lots of new talent here. Welcome, guys!

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 5:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-11 18:02, JohnnyP wrote:
This thread is great- It's pulled a few lurkers in. Welcome all.

Damn straight. Definitely keen to see more of your work guys

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation