FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving ****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 7:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-11 17:49, Tikidav wrote:

Tama: **Maybe you are familiar with this guy? Your words of wisdom about "vision" are so true.

Well you had the vision with him alright, thats incredible!!!

**Looks very much like you have used the paintings of Lindauer (or is it Goldie Paip'? ) for your reference? Simply amazing likeness!!

Head back to the early pages of Tama &/or Paipo to see the pounamu/stone tools/processes... (or else just watch all the other regular carvers -there seems to be a veritable rock-slide at the moment

Thanks for sharing your work.
Are you sure about changing to wood? The ceramics world will lose a great talent...

Keep it up whatever you do! Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-12 7:44 pm   Permalink

I think we can stop asking for more tikis one of these daze as I am in a Daze with all this stuff coming round. Some God awful,unbelievable stuff. I'm gonna have nightmares figuring how to catch up o some of these guys. I'm still sitting here shaking my head with a little drool sliding out with a sideways rocking motion, along with Te Rongi on my desktom staring at me from both of them.
Have I said HappyhappyHappy yet?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 05:34 am   Permalink

What was I saying, I must have been sleeping.
Don't let up on the tiki production, it's Great seeing so much creativity happening all at once. keep'em Coming!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 1:05 pm   Permalink

Thats from gettin stoned Ben. Sniff some saw dust , It'll breng you back down to earth
Will

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-14 10:29 am   Permalink

Thanks everybody for your replies. I'm going to post some more pictures, but I'm busy slacking at work right now.

Ben: You have sooooo much cool stuff! Shrunken heads! Maori carvings! Ku's! Lonos! You are a rock star. I'd like to check out the DVD you mentioned. I'll get back to you about it later.

Tama: I used a postcard with a picture of Te Rangi as reference for the bust. I don't know who the artist is. It's probably a picture you've seen, maybe by one of the artists you mentioned? And no, I am not going to leave the ceramic world for the carving world. I'm merely expanding my horizons!

A question: I'd like to be able to put quotes from other posts in my replies like I've seen you guys do, but I can't figure out how it's done. Can someone pretty please help a brother out? Thanks.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 1:32 pm   Permalink

Hey Tdav, look down at the bottom of the post you would like to quote and just to the right of the "Edit" button is the "Quote" button. Just click it and it will open a response with the post already there. Just add what you like to it and submit it as usual.
Hope that helps.

Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-14 3:42 pm   Permalink

On 2006-11-14 13:32, Benzart wrote:
Hey Tdav, look down at the bottom of the post you would like to quote and just to the right of the "Edit" button is the "Quote" button. Just click it and it will open a response with the post already there. Just add what you like to it and submit it as usual.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Benz. That was so easy. Duh.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 6:03 pm   Permalink

On 2006-11-14 15:42, Tikidav wrote:

Thanks Benz. That was so easy. Duh.

Tama:

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-14 6:12 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: sneakytiki 2007-07-27 12:58 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 05:06 am   Permalink

Hey ST, the fuzzy picture does wonders, the tiki looks good, especially seeing the trials and tribulations you went thru to carve it. You get an A for persistence and an A for Joining in.
happyhappyhappy

wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 07:43 am   Permalink

Hay guys,
I made this in my last 17 hours of tiki time & he did not want his pic taken. May be he's too dark or too shiny.
He is cabbage palm & real dry. It was like carving a corn flake or shredded wheat. Hes around 40 in tall, & real thin.
Will

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 09:16 am   Permalink

A little bench for a friend, first carving I have done on a while.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 11:51 am   Permalink

hi carving gods,

I have been amazed and mesmerized by the posts and all the cool carvings. So I finally made the plunge. I wasn't sure I would like it or be good at it, so I bought the new dremel 1100 cordless at lowes and gave it a try, over the laundry sink with the water dripping.

It turns out, I love this. I know from looking at the pieces I did, I do not know what I am doing, I tried a wooden egg, and a river rock from the yard. So I have some questions and would love some help.

- How to you get the pieces you all do so smooth and sharp edged?
- How do you make curves and circles and which tool does that?
- Is sanding by hand or with the dremel, and what tools do I need?
- are my hands supposed to hurt this much the next day?

Thank you all for the inspiration to try this. Here are my two attempts over the last few days, please let me know what you think as I really want to get better at this.

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 12:21 pm   Permalink

WOW Amy! Those are incredible!!

I don't know answers to a lot of your questions - but from another newbie, my hands (and arms) hurt for over a week after the Oki Oki. They're still sore in places cause I keep carving. (and carving and carving...)

I haven't used my dremel at all, so all my sanding and carving is by hand. It may be easier to do circles and curves with hand tools, although I'm sure there's something you can use on the dremel.

Your egg guy is great! I had much worse luck with my design on an egg, but maybe I'll try again. I really like how you brought the arms in, he makes me think of a hedgehog a little bit. Your stone guy will make a great pendant, maybe even string it up on a silver chain.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-15 1:02 pm   Permalink

QueenK: Wonderful first attempts! I think you DO know what you are doing & just need to spend more time at the bench.

Love the little stone 'mask' fella especially!

To try & answer a couple of your questions, but am referring to stone grinding mainly...

A step I often use before sanding is to go over the carving again, running Dremel as slow as you can (5000-10000 rpm) & using DRY... This allows you to see what is going on and smooth out the form in a way that you cant when working under water. Use a dust mask!!

If you can get hold of some diamond 'cloth', this is a good way to start hand sanding. It acts as an (almost) ever-lasting sandpaper & can iron out a lot of ripples/scratches before moving on to wet n dry/carborundum paper, again I find hand sanding easiest & best. Go through grades of 240, 400, 800 (& then 1200 if you want) carb. paper, and this should give you some sort of polish. The degree of shininess really depends on the type of stone used...

Hope this helps. Keep it up!! Tama

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation