FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Tiki Resort, Lake George, NY (motel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Tiki Resort, Lake George, NY (motel)
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-05 09:32 am   Permalink

Name:The Tiki Resort
Type:motel
Street:Canada Street
City:Lake George
State:NY
Zip:12845
Phone:(518) 668-5744

Description:
The Tiki Resort is located just South of Lake George Village in New York State. I visited here over the summer and snapped some photo's to share......

Enjoy! For more info look up page 206 of The Book of Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinomad 2006-11-05 09:38 ]

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-05 2:44 pm   Permalink

Great to see pics of that place. I read a report about it in Mai Tai, and am glad they are still running their Polynesian shows. And the interior lobby rafters and the colored windows are still the same, cool. Too bad about the porte cochere, reminds me a little bit of what they did with the Hanalei...
And quite a few Tikis, kind of a mix'n'match bunch. Any of the Witco still there?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-05 3:11 pm   Permalink

Yes, There are several Witco pieces inside the luau. I have to scan the pic's I took from inside, I have about twenty more, not digital.

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-06 06:47 am   Permalink

More pictures of inside and out......

I'm not the best photographer but enjoy!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tikinomad 2006-11-07 08:28 ]

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-06 06:55 am   Permalink

Thanks for this post Tikinomad, this is only a 3 and a half hour drive for me, so I'm going to start planning a get-a-way soon!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-06 6:26 pm   Permalink

Very Cool indeed. There are some real survivors there. Doe the still have the faux palm trees out front?

View Profile of Matiki Send a personal message to Matiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-07 06:19 am   Permalink

Yeah some of the fake palm trees out front survived. It's very wierd, all the motels in the area seem to be stuck in a time warp. Untouched from the time they were made.

Frediki

Posted: 2007-08-06 9:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pictures! I have seen the place many times. Last trip to Lake George we took some pictures of the place, but seeing the pictures here on this posting I obviously missed a lot. I will have to take a closer look next time I am there. I thought the only vestiges of tiki were what was left out front. Was hoping to discover another lounge tiki mug? Its odd and fun to see this hotel there. Drive up to the mountains to find log cabins and stick furniture and be greeted by a moai head, palm trees and tikis!

View Profile of Frediki Send a personal message to Frediki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet birdman

Posted: 2008-03-19 5:30 pm   Permalink

New to Tiki Central. I must provide a word of caution regarding this locale. While much of the architectural splendor remains and the Polynesian show is quite good; the food and drink suffer terribly! The show is first rate, nearly the equal of the Mai Kai. Be prepared however for an expensive evening of second rate, make that third rate, food and drink. The drinks come in differing fluorescent hues and are served from a slurpee machine. Dinner and a couple of drinks (if you choose to buy a second) will set you back about $75.00. The sole of my Doc Martin was more palatable than the "blackened" prime rib. There is no hint of pacific island cuisine on the menu. The restaurant/bar staff is unapologetic about how much the food and drink sucks, this is a tourist destination after all. Lake George has its charms and is a throw-back to a simpler time. The area is totally worth a visit on its own merits. Adjust your expectations accordingly and enjoy a really nice show.

View Profile of Quiet birdman Send a personal message to Quiet birdman  Email Quiet birdman Goto the website of Quiet birdman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-21 8:37 pm   Permalink

I must admit, the food isn't great & the prices are touristy but, the show is really great. It is a must see for anyone in the area!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 12:02 pm   Permalink

This is a postcard from the old days when it was the "Tiki Motor Inn". There are also a couple of additional pictures on page 206 in the BOT.

Bigbro, what year are those cars?

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 3:52 pm   Permalink

Okay I've been holdin out - I have been and stay at this place - I did not see the show or have any Tiki style drinks. It is cool place for certain - one note the rooms (for sleeping have nothing to do with tiki at all) AND there is a crazy 80s neon / mirrored ballroom that they use for weddings located next the bar and above the Polynesian show area.
-
here goes:
Heres the inside of the rooms (this one is on the end of the row closest to the road there is a view from the door comin up)

view from door

ENTRANCE AREA near bar at top of stairs to Polynesian room:

Stage and such from Performing area:

fountain wrapped up:

Hallway:

I think these were once on the OUTSIDE of building

Outside grounds:

Its hard to see but there is door that goes out side right near the mask - inside there is a sprail stair case that leads up to - it (Yes the door was locked!)

the top part with railing is the back of the bar area (smoking?) and below is where the show happens in the waikiki room - Enough A frame shots for ya Sven?- Notice the paint (art) around the edge in the top / back while the front is long gone!

behind this guy is the lake (sorta far off)
Bar area:

oh yeah:
tow truck convention was happening:

there is a Frankenstein museum

and to top it off the same weekend (as Tow truck festival) was ELVIS festival:

oh and there where at least 40 to 50 of them in every carnation!

So from the postcard in previous post from Dusty It looks like the trees have grown and so has the hotel its self. It also appears that the pool may have changed shape but all its tikis have not moved. and the now bar was the reception waiting area and the rock fall fountain area may have been the check in desk?

This was Early June 2007.
edited - to flip photos and add comments PLUS (PLEASE INJOY!)

[ This Message was edited by: sneakyjack 2008-04-07 20:13 ]

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 4:13 pm   Permalink

Very nice...but Jack, you gotta figure out how to fix those sideways photos! You have to put them into your I-Photo or whatever photo program you have and rotate and save them THERE, saving the corrections on your desktop is not enough!

The cars are early 60s...I estimate it was built around 1965. That place is still such a repository of Tiki Style: Some O.A., lotsa Witco, some unknown local sculptors...it's all thrown together, and still there! Good to be forewarned about the bad food and the un-apologetic bad service...but where else do you have that many bad taste Tikis standing around un-apologetically! Like I said in my foreword to Tiki Road Trip:......

Too bad that Witco Porte Cochere is gone, it was similar to the one of The Polynesia in Seattle (Tiki Modern p. 249):

The Witco outriggers are gone....

But the Witco Mask in the gable outside is still there:

And I doubt that Witco Tiki magazine rack in the left upper corner and that stool and table set in the middle of the lobby are still there...

And that Mainlander fountain is probably the only thing left of the once "EXOTIC LOWER LOUNGE" with its nice mural:

...if only SHE would still be playing there:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-06 16:20 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 06:49 am   Permalink

Wow. That lobby area is what I envision my home bar looking like, btu with more stuff in it!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 10:16 am   Permalink

Ill adjust photos asap
I think the witco outriggers are now inside on the wall down stairs - I think I have photos if they are not already posted and the witco Fountain is in the performance area and has rope lights running through it - no workin fountain. Stay tuned and pay a visit I think some of the performers from the Polynesian show work in the hotel so you may see them around.

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation