FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Tiki Resort, Lake George, NY (motel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Tiki Resort, Lake George, NY (motel)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 10:58 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

Thanks for sharing that brochure. What a great collection of Tiki art and furniture. I think that the mish mash theme works here.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 9:22 pm   Permalink

Great, Jack fixed the photos, and added the Witco Outriggers and some other cool pics. I especially love that painting of the Tiki carver A-frame, a master piece of naive Poly pop art!. Now I wanna go there! Seeing details like these, and the Outriggers and so many Tikis preserved has me wondering if this place is still in the original owners hands, please inquire. I will send them a copy of the BOT (if they don't have one).

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 9:32 pm   Permalink

My guess is not in orginal owners hands but thats only a guess, I say that because Howard Johnson took it over, not to say the owners couldn't have brought in the Ho Jo name and keep it tiki at the same time. My best guess would be to ask the Polynesian show people whats up as they maybe able to trace a time line. I'm also guessing that if there are any TC people who frequent Lake George there are probably "old timers" in the area that "remember when...". I'm supposed to go up that way right after Memorial day 2008. If I do I'll stop in and ask if anyone knows any details and if they do not have BOT I'll let them know about it. Everyone there staff wise is / was very friendly.
INFO about the place:
www.tikiresort.com
phone 518 668 5744 and about the shows - 6pm July and August
groups for the show - mid May til mid October Sandy Carr 1888 843 8454

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 10:10 pm   Permalink

Jack, bring both, BOT for its photos of the place, and Tiki Mod, for WITCO Show and Tell, in case you find a receptive ear (+ eye!). Those tomes always speak a direct language, I would cold-call them, but usually people only think you have some weird agenda if you do it that way. Person to person, with the power of images, (and the fact that they are in book), works best.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-07 22:13 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 08:17 am   Permalink

Will plan to I'll let you know how it goes!
Next up Tarrytown Kona Kai / Marriott - I got nothin but a phone book number thus far!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 5:58 pm   Permalink

I was there in August '06.I must say, the Friday night Poylnesian show was excellent. A bit pricey for dinner & show, dinner was okay, not bad, not great, but I will definitely go catch that show again!

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2013-09-11 05:44 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 8:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-08 17:58, Big Kahuna wrote:
Not much Tiki left

...??! That's odd, I counted about 16 different Tikis and Tiki masks in and around the property in the photographs on the previous page... that is a staggering number by today's standard! Plus a main building with an A-frame, and two smaller structures that are A-frames...plus a bar clad in Bamboo and rattan, with supercool mid-century modern diamond shaped colored glass windows...plus a waterfall...and murals...and FAKE palm trees.

The urban archaeologist is grateful for any and all traces of Tiki style nowadays, and re-inserts any missing elements into the mental picture of what a Tiki temple once looked like. Here we have an extraordinary amount of Polynesian pop remnants, most Tiki Hotel lobbies and grounds (if they are still standing) share white plaster walls and easy-maintenance generic landscaping. That there are so many Tikis standing and that so much other stuff has survived must mean that some people there care for it.

Going over the pictures again, I noticed two things: Stylistically, the stone/concrete Tikis sometimes remind me of some of the gods at Tiki Gardens in Florida. Were they perhaps done by the same sculptor? And that "Waikiki" typeface looks so damn familiar to me, but I just can't place it.

I think Jack's notion about the Polynesian dance group being involved is actually a good suggestion. Just like Tikis, mainland Polynesian performers are part of an almost extinct species, and they do have a reason to protect their habitat. At the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach, the boss of the resident dance troupe, Wayne, is an integral part of preserving the style of the place.

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 6:24 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry, maybe I should have been more clear. The room with the dinner show has squat. I do remember some outside but, I hadn't yet become Tiki obsessed & I actually could have missed some! Or maybe I had a Roger Clemens moment & "misremembered"! Anyway, if you're in the area, I think it's a must see!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 6:36 pm   Permalink

WOW! Looking at those pictures, either they brought some stuff back out or I completely brain-cramped. I will definitely go back soon with my Tiki Goggles on & give an accurate report back. If you've got little kids, this is one of the best areas in the country for kiddie park , roadside Americana. They've got 2 complete vintage kiddie parks: The Magic Forest, complete with a diving horse! & The original kiddie park, North Pole, NY is about an hour north. The Six Flags has quite a bit of The Enchanted Forest still intact & there are arcades, haunted houses & mini-golf galore. Top it all off with steamboat rides on the lake & you have a perfect Roadside Americana Kitsch vacation for all to enjoy.

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 9:09 pm   Permalink

Lake George Elvis Festival
May 29, 2008 - Jun 1, 2008
A good weekend to go and stay and Ho Jos Tiki hotel - They had a Sat eve Polynesian show in 2007.

And like stated above don't miss the ride on the Minnie hahah (its a steam paddle boat that does an hour tour around the lake)!

tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-06 2:54 pm   Permalink

Wow, I'm just seeing this post and it reminded me of the LP I have called HURRICANE, Cover SHAKES UP THE COCONUTS. Back side is Hurricane Hits Lake
George! Shows a photo of the Tahitian Lounge & Tiki Motor Inn. My photo's suck. But here goes.

Back side reads,
You asked for her -- Here she is, "the tempest of the Adirondacks." A whimsical whirlwind of entertainment is yours as the one-and-only "HURRICANE" unleashes a storm of laughter that will raise havoc with your funnybone!

For 40 minutes, her cyclonic shower sweeps you off your seats with a whirl of mirth and merry-making.

Since 1964, her original, rollicking wit has kept fun-loving audiences coming back for more at the TIKI in Lake George, New York. And no wonder! She's more fun than a barrel of coconuts!

As this sample of her robust repertoire shows, she isn't called "HURRICANE" for nothing. So spin Hurricane's spontaneous wit at your next party... Just for the fun of it.

You gotta love it!

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 12:54 pm   Permalink

tikipaka, if there's any chance of me getting a digital copy of that, I'd really appreciate it!
I doubt I have much of a chance at finding it in the wild.
My band is playing at "OHANA" at the Tiki Resort, and I'd love to be able to carry on some of the Hurricane's tradition!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-10 4:40 pm   Permalink

The Granite Tiki

Quote:
tikipaka, if there's any chance of me getting a digital copy of that, I'd really appreciate it! I doubt I have much of a chance at finding it in the wild.
My band is playing at "OHANA" at the Tiki Resort, and I'd love to be able to carry on some of the Hurricane's tradition!

Sorry, I can't do it in digital but I can make you a cassette and you can do the digital. Just let me know and I'll need your address.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 4:57 pm   Permalink

Tikipaka..
The best scenario for you to get a digital file of your "Hurricane" LP, would be to get it to Captain Quad at the Velveteen Lounge - he has all the technology to make a digital masterpiece! ...best of all he is close by to you (somewhat) in New York

It would be great to get it digitally recreated for the big OHANA event this year!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-10 5:11 pm   Permalink

Will do, sounds like a plan. We haven't seen Kelly & Paul since we got together for their Holiday Affair! They're the hostest with the mostest!
And we live like right around the corner! Having other personal issues right now, but soon..

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation