FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » The Tiki Resort, Lake George, NY (motel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Tiki Resort, Lake George, NY (motel)
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 5:18 pm   Permalink

Best of luck with 'the issues'. Let us know if we/ I can help in any way!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-11 09:18 am   Permalink

tikipaka, jpmartdog is right on the money!

By all means, and in whatever time frame you want (we have plenty of time) if you can get it to Captain Quad, he's the man! Plus I see him once a month at our FOM meeting so he'd be perfect!

Thanks so much in advance,

Carl

PS. Who knows? Maybe Captain Quad already has it in his collection.

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2009-01-11 09:19 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 7:39 pm   Permalink

Here is a very sporty ashtray from the Tiki Motor Inn that I saw on ebay a while back.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 08:46 am   Permalink

there is a nice vintage postcard of the tiki motor inn of lake george on ebay right now for anyone interested....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 06:28 am   Permalink

Interesting that the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach used the same ashtray...

..but as we all know from the photos in the BOT, the Tiki Motor Inn brochure featured the Tiki as their logo Tiki of sorts:

I wonder if there are any other Tiki Motor Inn print/ ceramic items that show this Tiki. Anybody found a match book yet?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 07:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-10 06:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
I wonder if there are any other Tiki Motor Inn print/ ceramic items that show this Tiki. Anybody found a match book yet?

Bigbro,

Nice ashtray comparison.

The Tiki Motor Inn also used that Tiki logo on the back of the postcards. Here is a shot from one I just sold. Never seen a matchbook, but there has to be one out there.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 11:38 am   Permalink

Here is another postcard I have from the Tiki Motor Inn.

Close ups of the interior and exterior views.

DC

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 2:06 pm   Permalink

Some info on the original owner of the Tiki Motor Inn aka Tiki Resort......

Charles R. Wood (1914-2004). Known as the “Father of Theme Parks, ” Charles Wood founded Storytown, USA in 1954 in Lake George. An opportunist and brilliant businessman, Wood continued building on the park throughout his life, later renaming it The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom. Wood built Gaslight Village, the Tiki Resort, the Blacksmith Shop, Cavalcade of Cars, and a wax museum, all in the Lake George area. He served as the President of the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions in 1977 and was inducted into its Hall of Fame. Wood became one of the area ’s greatest philanthropists, contributing to The Hyde Collection, the Charles R. Wood Theater, and an unprecedented $1.4 million to the cancer center at the Glens Falls Hospital. His greatest act of charity was the opening of the Double H-Hole in the Woods Ranch in Lake Luzerne, a camp for terminally ill children that he co-founded with Paul Newman. Charles Wood survived five heart attacks throughout his lifetime, but he lost his battle with cancer on September 30, 2004 at the age of 90.

Near Gaslight Village, Charley opened the Tiki Resort, a Polynesian-themed motel, restaurant, and nightclub that he remembers nostalgically. In contrast to fairy tale Storytown, the Tiki nightlife was a little outrageous, with the adult repartee of Sophie Tucker-style Hurricane Hattie and the boldly displayed physical assets of the Hawaiian performer, Kaena. The bartender, says Charley, was a woman named Lani, whom he describes as having “the biggest bosoms in the country. She made a mint of money. She’d put her boobs right up on the counter and say, ‘What can I help you with?’”

Charley opened another steak house called The Blacksmith Shop with a motif that combined western with Lil’ Abner. “I had fun there, because the girls were nice, and I put these short skirts on ’em and made ’em a Daisy Mae,” says Charley. He also opened the Cavalcade of Cars and a wax museum.

From the Lake George, NY official site

.......He later sold the Tiki and the Blacksmith Shop to Howard Johnson's in the late 60's. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 7:52 pm   Permalink

Here few images of the logo, the front of the place, and the interior from a brochure I just got.

DC

mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-01-16 8:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-10 11:38, Dustycajun wrote:
Here is another postcard I have from the Tiki Motor Inn.

Close ups of the interior and exterior views.

DC
You know, I regret putting my Tiki Motor Inn postcard on eBay, but now that it has a bid on it, I guess it is only mine for a few more days until the auction closes. I'll have to do a good scan before it sells and goes away!

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 1:41 pm   Permalink

While in Lake George for Ohana Luau at the Lake, I happened upon a few copied of The Lake George Mirror local tourist newspaper from the 60's & found these fabulous ads for The Tiki:

The owner is talking about possibly painting the door to the supper club like the picture above, too, which would be great!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 2:06 pm   Permalink

Great finds. They really describe "Tiki". Love the upside-down mistake in the first one. And the "confrontation" in the 3rd.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 3:10 pm   Permalink

Carline,

Very cool find. Where did you find the papers?

Would love to see the doors painted like that again.

DC

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 3:38 pm   Permalink

Going back year after year now for "Ohana", it's amazing how the owner keeps adding more! I think he really takes our devotion to heart when spending money on appearance.

And hearing a classic exotica record on the jukebox that you know you contributed is a kick!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2013-07-12 15:40 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 8:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-12 14:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great finds. They really describe "Tiki". Love the upside-down mistake in the first one. And the "confrontation" in the 3rd.

YES!!
I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that one - AWESOME!

Quote:

On 2013-07-12 15:38, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Going back year after year now for "Ohana", it's amazing how the owner keeps adding more! I think he really takes our devotion to heart when spending money on appearance.

Indeed!
Seeing how excited he was this year with the arrival of the 2 new Oceanic Arts lights that arrived during Ohana for the indoor pool was a treat!!

Quote:
And hearing a classic exotica record on the jukebox that you know you contributed is a kick!

For sure!
I've got a pile of Hawaiian 45s to donate - just need to burn them to MP3's first, then they'll belong to The Tiki's jukebox!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation