FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 10:13 am   Permalink

A couple more pics.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 10:19 am   Permalink

not good

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike-stobbe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:01 am   Permalink

ugh .

We used to go drink there in the mid 90's and it was amazing . . . we hadn't been back since they started remodeling it and now it looks like all I'll have now is drunken memmories ! ! !

View Profile of mike-stobbe Send a personal message to mike-stobbe  Goto the website of mike-stobbe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:09 am   Permalink

Notice! There is bubble wrap on the rails inside. The rails ARE still inside. They would have removed them already, I think. The previous pics are from yesterday.

Also, I think the walls of the new restaurant will reach the metal railing that is along the walkway. So, the walkway will be gone.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-12-01 11:12 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 11:20 am   Permalink

In '003 my Canadian friend Dave visited for a week - he's a confirmed Tikiaholic and we hit the Royal Hawaiian, Bahooka, King's, and of course the Bali Hai

and the Hanalei -

Here's the pix I just unearthed -

the appetizers -

the waterfall -

weapons -

and finally -

Most of the time we sat there marvelling at how cool the waterfall was, and how it was just a great secret treasure...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 8:37 pm   Permalink

I was driving past the Hanalei the other day and noticed the sign mentioned the New Look and New Menu for the Islands room, so I ran in for a quick peek. Wow.

Due to all the info here when they closed, the new look wasn't a surprise, but it was still sad to see. The good news is that at least some of the Tiki railings are still in there. The bad news is not much else is. It's just white walls and ceiling now; very stark, not much actual 'decor' at all, at least comparatively speaking. They're open for dinner nightly now, so it looks like it'll probably remain as-is. They're also advertising patio dining, on that little area outside the glass doors/windows on the pool side of the room. But their amazing Coconut Chicken isn't on the menu anymore.

The Dragon room is still separated off with walls at this point and does still have the doors, but it looks like there will probably be some kind of walk-up service going in there (I think someone here mentioned it might become a coffee counter?) The floor in there is still ripped up and it looks like there's a counter and chilled beverage case in place. Fortunately the Tiki pond/waterfall area outside the Dragon room is still there.

Unfortunately I was only able to get a rotten-quality photo, but here goes:

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 10:23 pm   Permalink

BOOOOOO!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 11:20 pm   Permalink

So in other words, YES the Islands/Hanalei is being gutted!

I understand their wanting to make the room larger and brighter. It's larger and brighter now. But it's a design disaster; with Hawaiiana experiencing a rebirth (let alone Tiki) why not dress the place up like a really ritzy Hawaiian Hotel? That's what the place is supposed to be, right??? Or go for a Classy French Polynesia look? Or just a nice subdued color scheme, some exotic plants, and hang some cool OA masks on the wall? It could look exotic and corporate-expensive at the same time.

Instead, it looks like a rental company did the interior design! If I find the guy or gal who did this, I'm shoving his/her/its head in a can of fresh beige paint!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 10:10 am   Permalink

ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 10:52 am   Permalink

I would fully support of the cancelling of Tiki Oasis in protest.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 11:09 am   Permalink

It's as though they didn't want to change the decor, just remove it. I don't know if they might be planning to add more plants and decorations to make it somewhat 'tropical' (which would be a good idea). They are open for business and serving food, though, so it doesn't seem likely that there would be anything major coming. It's actually not even beige, that's just my bad picture. Beige would've been more colorful - it's very WHITE. Definitely brighter, but also completely bland. The color and decoration is so sparse right now that it really lacks any kind of character at all.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stiki Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 11:40 am   Permalink

gives a whole new meaning to the word "bland"
why would anyone do that...

View Profile of Stiki Tiki Send a personal message to Stiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 4:21 pm   Permalink

BEIGE!!

There is still some of the old railing and a few pieces on the walls.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-03-20 16:22 ]

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 4:27 pm   Permalink

Lame

Where are we moving Oasis to next ?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 4:59 pm   Permalink

Move it somewhere that

1. Wants the business.
2. Needs the business.
3. Has a swimming pool.
4. Has some Tiki's sitting around that look good in photos.
5. Has a bar.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation