FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 5:12 pm   Permalink

Bring an axe to Tiki Oasis, and we'll help them finish the job....They seemed to have forgot to remove the railings....
I have that stupid song stuck in my head now..."Another One Bites the Dust"

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 6:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-20 10:52, arriano wrote:
I would fully support of the cancelling of Tiki Oasis in protest.

The only one that'll hurt is Otto. He's already signed the contracts for everything (In fact, I'm under the impression the contracts were signed before anyone even got wind of the changes). He's worked so hard all the T.O.s that I would think it horrible if we bankrupted him for something that isn't his fault.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 8:37 pm   Permalink

That's fucked up!

No white walls!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 9:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-14 19:42, Sabina wrote:
I've been away from TC for a bit, this is what happens when I blink.

I'm in anguish.

Our beloved Hanalei becomes yet ANOTHER location in our photo gallery I'll have to relist as RIP- or at least changed (again) beyond any recognition. I KNEW we needed to make last year's Oasis! Damn!

OakTiki and I only got to enjoy the Islands on two trips through San Diego, but it was truely one of the most evocative 'stepping into a postcard' locales we had left. I'm heartbroken.

Fix yerself a good stiff drink, then take a looksee at what we just lost- a few pages worth of documentation we took back in May 2005- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Hanalei-and-Islands

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2006-11-14 19:43 ]

The before and after is striking.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 9:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-20 18:18, Haole'akamai wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-03-20 10:52, arriano wrote:
I would fully support of the cancelling of Tiki Oasis in protest.

The only one that'll hurt is Otto. He's already signed the contracts for everything (In fact, I'm under the impression the contracts were signed before anyone even got wind of the changes). He's worked so hard all the T.O.s that I would think it horrible if we bankrupted him for something that isn't his fault.

We do not know that Otto made a guarantee with collateral which he would loose.
We further don't know if there isn't a "liquidated damages" clause or some other clause which lets either side out of the deal for free or with paying a pre-set amount.

Further, we don't know if some other hotel, like Humphrey's, Paradise Point, or Ocean Palms Resort in Carlsbad wouldn't pay whatever cancellation fees in order to sell drinks and sell out rooms not just this year, but also other years as well.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 9:24 pm   Permalink

BTW, is the moai near the pool still there?

tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 9:32 pm   Permalink

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I knew this was coming by following this post, but I had no idea it would be this drastic!! Even an armature decorator could have done a better job. Has the remaining tiki-fied portions of the hotel gone thru this as well?

- Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 10:04 pm   Permalink

Look, don't freak out. The Oasis is happening. It's gonna be fun. The only decor changed is that dining room, nothing else has been touched. They've shoved the Tiki's around a bit, but they're all still about.

And some of the renovations to the rooms are looking pretty decent.

There are tons of places in San Diego to go for a Polynesian dinner, this city is Tiki Central (Oops)...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 10:27 pm   Permalink

Well, heck, I guess the walls really are beige, and only the ceiling is white. Sorry about that. Thanks for getting better photos, Mr. NoNaMe.

I poked outside just for a second; both the Moai by the pool and the Islands outrigger sign above the door are still there. I thought a Tiki or two from the hallway may have been moved, but I zipped through very quickly so they certainly may still be there. The only changes I noticed were within the Islands Room and the Dragon Room, and of course those were expected. Everything else appeared the same.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 10:30 pm   Permalink

We must drown our sorrows with the Cult of the Eye!!!!!

...And, stay out doors as much as possible!

Tiki Oasis has always been based around a pool party!!!
( just ask Crazy Al!!)

No White Walls!!!!

Do they have bbq's???

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 11:02 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 12:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-20 20:37, RevBambooBen wrote:
No white walls!!!

**Hey Ben! Unless they are are on a 60's Lincoln or 50's-60's Caddy!**

As for Otto moving T.O. this year, I'd take a guess it's too late. This might be an eye opener for future use, as far as booking events and having certain clauses in contracts.
Example:
"I am booking my tiki event in this location due to its rich history of tropical/polynesia themes within the said resort. If the company owning decides to "renovate" or de-tikify the named business before my event is complete, then a prompt notice is due to me and full security deposit refund is due..."

maybe it would help, maybe not...relocating events on short notice is a bitch,and then you have the people who can no longer attend because the event was moved!
I would also think that the Islands restaraunt is not the last "renovation" the Red Lion Hotel has plans for(might as well drop the Hanalei name too!)....Let's face it, the Restaurant & hallway part of that facility towards the pool exit was the only thing in that whole main corridor/walkway that felt tropical(It was already white walled at the check-in towards the front bar!). When things like this turn out the way they did, it is a pretty good bet that in 2008 the gardens, ponds, or the tikis/artifacts will also take a hike due to modernization or "hotel updates"...An unfortunate sign of the times, but we've all been on this ill-gotten path before one time or another...

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 1:14 pm   Permalink

Outch! It's "Tiki-light" a la nouveaux Trader Vic's. And to think that Bosko refused to go near the place for years after their FIRST renovation, because he was so upset about it--and I was trying to calm him with "...it could be worse, they left the waterfalls and bridges intact!" Now it IS worse.

It does seem somewhat hypocritical to go there and pretend like all is well. Should there be a boycott of the restaurant, at least? But then, wouldn't that just limit our own ability to have fun?

Because, let's face it, folks: The Tiki Nation's one weekender a year there is just a drop in the bucket for the corporation, there gonna shrug their shoulders and say "too bad" and be looking forward to generally seeing more business in their brand new "clean and airy" facility. How many of us were going there every week?

It is the indifference of the average, Tiki-ignorant customer that is the cause of this, as much as the decisison of the (out of state) corporate headquarters.

My business is education, and I hope my next tome will accomplish as much as the first did.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 1:49 pm   Permalink

I guarantee contracts are singed and if it is like Hukilau, there is a whopper of a fine for not coming through, like $30,000 I think was 2004, and there are many ways to get that fine, like not booking enough rooms. So, cancelling your TO trip is just going to screw Otto over.

Writing "Tiki Oasis" on every receipt you sign can help let folks know just how much money the event means to them. But, in the end, this is a very small part of their business. Now, if people of all stripes are coming there because of the decor and don't come back because it is gine and business slows, the thing that will likely happen si they will remove more tiki in an ignorant attempt to make things better.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 4:03 pm   Permalink

I went by there yesterday while down in SD for a surf music show.

while I must say its very sad that its changed, and no longer dark, wood, and no more fish ball floats. but it is a tad better than what the pictures show. but not much.

yes The Moai is by the pool still, as is the tiki path way and hut in the back breeze way.

Sad very much so, the end of the world, NO, but I think its around the corner.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation