FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 10:07 pm   Permalink

I visited the Hanalei a few times back in 1994 and 1995, as one of the first Tiki places that I actively sought out and went out of my way to explore. In fact, I went to it before Hala Kahiki or Trader Vic's here in Chicago.

This was just before the first renovation, and it still looked as Sven's pics show.

I have an awful nostalgia for this place, since I visited when Tiki was new and fresh to me, when I didn't know who carved the Tikis (who cares, they looked cool!), when I didn't realize how shitty the drinks were (who cares, they got me drunk!), when I didn't realize how fast placed like this were vanishing (who cares - it's here NOW).

I just loved the vibe and the feeling of the place, and soaked it all in, reveling in how insanely cool it was.

Those were good times.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 9:35 pm   Permalink

So everybody doesn't miss the driveway this summer...
The new sign is up:

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-03 11:47 am   Permalink

can you say LAME!!!

when I was there about a month back I saw the resturaunt,

sad sad sad.
its all disappearing before our eyes.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 11:33 am   Permalink

Went a few weeks ago, the restaurant is less cool, but the fountain is still there. Here's a couple of quick pictures

You can tell the restaurant was packed on a Wednesday night at dinner time. We ate at the sushi bar.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 12:31 pm   Permalink

I still liked the darker, more intimate Tiki/Polynesian feel to it.

Definitely will miss the Giant Clam shell water fall that was also located IN the restaurant area and of course the HANGING FISH FLOAT LIGHTS

At least I was lucky enough to get to see it once....I only wish I had taken more pictures!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surffnutt3000

Posted: 2007-05-09 10:45 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: surffnutt3000 2007-05-14 20:47 ]

View Profile of surffnutt3000 Send a personal message to surffnutt3000      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation