[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki New Adventureland Mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
New Adventureland Mug
Miehana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-10 2:50 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to contribute some facts to this conversation, with advance apologies for the length. The new Disney"land" mugs were designed by Kevin and I for the parks 50th, hence all of the metallic gold decals. The original assignment was to create "Tiki" mugs for each of lands to capitalize on the great sales they were enjoying with the previous" Tiki Room" mugs that we had desigined. It took me a while to convince them to do only the five original lands (excluding "New Orleans Sq., "Critter Country" and "Toontown"). Instead of the land icons (such as Splash Mountain) being sculpted in Bas Relief against a standard cylindrical shape I thought it would be more interesting to let the actual icons be the mug. I will admit that this decision was entirely based on visual aesthetic rather than Rum consumption practicality. I believe all of the mugs were planned to be sold as a set together and were designed that way. That is why there is a limited color palette for each of the five but together on display they are sheer TECHNICOLOR.

Other than my personal standard gripes about quality consistency on mass produced collectibles I am pleased with the end result. I like the hot metallic bottom stamps Kevin did using the original land fonts and that I was able to add the old Oceanic Arts Tiki panel that is still on the Adventureland entry way to this day (at least it better be).

If there is one thing I have learned from designing Disney collectables is that you generally can not please everyone. If you don't like a particular item or are unhappy with it's quality then don't buy it. I am sure that our former Disney bosses would have loved Kevin and I to only produce the items that EVERY Disney collector would want ( in their eyes that would be Princesses, Tinker Bell and "Fantasia" Mickey). With that logic there would be no room for Mr. Toads, Monorails, Barker Birds or Tiki Room drummers (and how could we live with that?)!

for those that are pleased...enjoy,
Jody (the generally silent half of Miehana)

View Profile of Miehana Send a personal message to Miehana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-10 4:24 pm   Permalink

So, I like it, too. Any one have a site where this can be purchased?

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-10 4:41 pm   Permalink

Here it is on eBay already (not my listing):
link

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Shortened URL - 2006-11-28 14:00 ]

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-10 4:46 pm   Permalink

That same seller also has the Main St. version for sale:

I'm still looking for pictures the other ones -- the Tomorrowland rocket in particular was neat.

Jody, thanks for chiming in here to clear it all up!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-10 9:08 pm   Permalink

Ha! Shows what I know... I could have sworn you guys didn't do these... Ah well - sorry for the bad info on my part!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-11 6:04 pm   Permalink

Woohoo and I were at Disneyland earlier today and bought the last Adventureland "Sculpture with Lid" they had. The lady gave us the one in the display case. $27.00... I couldn't pass that up! It looks great in my tiki room!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 10:21 am   Permalink

I was at Disneyland over Thanksgiving and several stores had full sets of the mugs (Disneyana in Disneyland, Off the Page in Disneyland California Adventure and World of Disney outside the park.) With a passholder discount, the cost for the entire set of the mugs was $120. The mugs are quite large and have a very nice cartoony retro look to them.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-20 01:39 am   Permalink

I bought mine today after seeing it in the Downtown Disney store back in November, and I have to say that it is a beautiful piece! I'm glad I retrieved one even if it isn't limited edition. I also like the tomorrowland piece. It reminds me of the TWA rocket Disneyland USED to have! Great job to the designers involved! Now if only the rest of the Disney merchandising team could catch a clue of cool, not so cheaply made but also affordable collectibles to sell...

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 8:01 pm   Permalink

I happened to get an Adventureland mug on a trip to California Adventures (with a big thanks to Psycho Tiki D for telling me where to look).

I thought it might be interesting to compare this with the Ohana Hut. The Ohana Hut is built to last, while the Adventureland mug is comparatively fragile.

Front:

Side:

Lids off:

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 2:11 pm   Permalink

Tikipedia,

I am glad you found one! Now where do I find the Ohana Hut?

I was able to get a second Adventureland mug! Why? Because I am Psycho Tiki D and I needed another one!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am because I needed another one)!

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 4:45 pm   Permalink

Hello friends,
I just returned from a weekend in L.A. and stopped by the Disneyland employee store "Company D." They now have the entire set of mugs for half price! I had previously bought one of the Adventureland mugs using a 35% discount, but I had to buy a second one at only $15! So, if any of you know any Disney employees, rush to get your half-priced mugs fast!
Looking out for you,
Atomobile

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation