FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Locating Tiki Ľ Ľ Gene's Hawaiian Village , Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Gene's Hawaiian Village , Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 8:13 pm   Permalink

Name:Gene's Hawaiian Village
Type:restaurant
Street:10637 So. Vermont Ave.
City:Los Angeles
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:TH-2587

Description:
Unavailable. Need your input folks. Thanks

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-11 8:21 pm   Permalink

Found this matchbook recently and it sounds like it was quite a place. Pretty old if the 6 digit phone # is any indication. Does anyone have any knowledge of this place? Photos or postcards etc. Do any of you Angelinos know what is at this address now or is the building still there? Please add what you know.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-18 12:03 pm   Permalink

Okay 8FT Tiki, according to Wikipedia Sol Hoopii died in 1953, which makes that matchbook over 55 years old. So I canít be too surprised that the place is long gone. Here it is now, Iím not sure if itís currently businesses or apartments but I am sure that itís ugly.

The cars belong to the present day Villagers.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 11:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-18 12:03, Bora Boris wrote:
Okay 8FT Tiki, according to Wikipedia Sol Hoopii died in 1953, which makes that matchbook over 55 years old. So I canít be too surprised that the place is long gone. Here it is now, Iím not sure if itís currently businesses or apartments but I am sure that itís ugly.

I stumbled across this postcard from Gene's Hawaiian Village that was recently added to Mimi Payne's website. The building was a lot nicer looking back in the 1940's! Check out the cool Tikis by the front door.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 07:33 am   Permalink

Close up, close up!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 10:52 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

As i indicated in the post I got this image from Mimi's website so there is not a lot I can do with the picture without loosing clarity. Maybe Puamana can help?

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 11:10 am   Permalink

L.A. Unified budget cuts...got laid off from summer school yesterday...had some free time.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 2:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks, but Scott was right, the clarity that the original photo would probably still retain is not there in the electronic blow up, so I can't tell if I was right, they reminded me somehow of the Montreal Kon Tiki entrance Tikis.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-09 14:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
they reminded me somehow of the Montreal Kon Tiki entrance Tikis.

Bigbro,

Here is a blowup of the Tikis in front of the Kon Tiki entrance in Montreal. They look a little bit like the ones at Gene's but too hard to tell from the B & W postcard.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 10:36 am   Permalink

Thank you, it was that blockiness that seemed similar...but then again, maybe not. I figured since the Montreal one was built relatively early in the Tiki period, and outfitted by Gabe and George Nakashima thru Armet & Davis, maybe the same carver did both.

OK, now I'd like get a crystal clear close up of those artifacts in that showcase....and then look around the right into the entrance hut....you know, like in Blade runner!

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 7:53 pm   Permalink

I'd seen this menu a few months ago, but I didn't have enough money on me that day. Luckily, I found the seller again this weekend.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 9:22 pm   Permalink

"Door way to the South Seas", that's very cool. This place must be one of the first examples of using Tikis as door way guardians.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 08:53 am   Permalink

Another old matchbook from Gene's Hawaiian Village

And the reproduction postcard based on the other matchbook.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-07-28 11:44 ]

puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 2:13 pm   Permalink

just saw this post, here's a closer view of those tikis in front of Gene's:

I have a few other things from here, will post more later today...

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 6:36 pm   Permalink

Hey Puamana, That's a great close up of the entrance way!! Quite the unusual
style of carving. You know, it almost looks, especially the one on the left, that they are possibly made of concrete.

If you look at the base of the one on the left, you see marks and lines that are seen in concrete pieces. The lines are kind of rough, uneven and look like at different levels.

It also looks like those boxes above the Tikis has wire running to them so maybe these had lights right above that shone down on the poles.
Might had been quite the sight with those SAVAGE faces at night time!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation