FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Home brew orgeat
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Home brew orgeat
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-10 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-08 13:40, Scottes wrote:
How about an ingredient comparison in an attempt to identify what's been changed?

In my local stores I have seen 3 or 4 different brands of Almond Milk. Maybe one of these is till good?

Thought I brought that with me yesterday, but left it at home. The ingredients of the new product are indicative of a better product, just not for orgeat. I'm sure the addition of evaporatd cane juice (definite improvement) is a major contributor to its maintaining the suspension of microparticles.

Anyway, here are the ingredients lists:

Old Product

almond base (filtered water, almonds)
brown rice sweetener (filtered water, brown rice)
natural almond flavor
tricalcium phosphate
sea salt
guar gum
xantham gum
carrageenan
carob bean gum
riboflavin (B2)
Vitamin A Palmitate
Vitamin D2

New Product

filtered water
evaporated cane juice
almonds
tricalcium phosphate
sea salt
potassium citrate
carrageenan
soy lecithin
riboflavin (B2)
Vitamin A Palmitate
Vitamin D2

"Made on equipment that also processes cashew nuts"

Here's the list of nutritional information and daily requirement % that is not zero:

Old Product

Total Fat: 2.5g 4%
Sodium: 105mg 4%
Total Carbs: 11g 4%

Calories: 80
Caloroes from Fat: 20

New Product

Total Fat: 3g 5%
Sodium: 140mg 6%
Potassium: 140mg 4%
Total Carbs: 9g 3%
Dietary Fiber: 1g 4%
Protein: 1g

Calories: 70
Caloroes from Fat: 25

I'm stopping by stores of chains that I know carry Pacific almond milk but might not sell a lot to see if I can find the old product (sell by date is in 2008). I've only found 4 cartons, but I'm hoping to amass enough old product to tide me over until I can find a suitable replacement (which might be getting off my ass and go back to making my own, untainted almond milk).

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-10 7:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info! Of course, I was in 2 stores today that carry this but I didn't know what to look for.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-21 1:19 pm   Permalink

Earlier in the post you guys were talking about using a Nut Grinder to make a butter. We have a Farmers Market and a couple of Health food stores that will grind any nut into a butter for you. Cashews, Pecans, ALMONDS - whatever as long as it's shelled. I'm sure that's available anywhere. As far as the emulsification goes, it is the speed the oil is suspended in the opposing liquid that affects your process, I don't think grinding would effect the ability to emulsify. If the oil hits the liquid too fast it doesn't suspend properly. With a butter the milk is going to have a higher oil content because you've crushed the cellulose more efficiently. The milk can be drizzled into the other ingredients slowly as it whips, and it creates a smoother, more stable pull that won't separate as quickly. With some French stocks you go through your strainer, sieve, cheese cloth and then a handkerchief. If you don't graduate up too quick, it's a cinch and you don't have too squeeze your leavings. We used to do gallons of demi glace this way.
Maybe that helps,
Laffo

View Profile of Uncle Laffo Send a personal message to Uncle Laffo  Goto the website of Uncle Laffo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-04 08:56 am   Permalink

I haven't had much time or reason to do another batch of orgeat... Sorry.

But on another forum we were talking about rum infusions, and Matusalem mentioned that he uses a French Press coffee maker for a first pass filtering of his infusions. This sound perfect for orgeat! And it pours quite easily.

Just thought I'd pass that tip on.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-04 11:43 am   Permalink

I know this is off-topic a bit but: Shaw's has Ferrara brand orzat syrup on sale this week for $3.99. I don't think it's something they probably carry all da time--probably just for the season. REAL almond flavor!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-04 2:01 pm   Permalink

Noted! Thanks Jay.

johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-05 2:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks Pappy! I saw that stuff in my Shaw's a couple of months ago. 3.99 - sold!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kleptic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-15 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Ahu orgeat #1

2 cups of the organic sugar
2 cups of the almond milk
1 cup plain water
4 teaspoons organic almond extract
1 tbsp rose flower water
1/2 cup Cruzan light rum

Combined everything save the rose water and set to boil it in a pot. Once boiling I reduced the heat and simmered it on low (bubbling a good bit) for 25 minutes, whisking occasionally.

This was funneled into an empty rum bottle along with the rose water and shaken. Left to cool and rest.

so for not grinding your own almonds is this the best way to go? or have you guys perfected this recipe some more since this was posted?

thanks
Kyle

View Profile of kleptic Send a personal message to kleptic  Goto the website of kleptic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kleptic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-15 9:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

1 cup water
1.5 cups organic evaporated cane juice sugar
2-1/2 TBsp Orange Flower Water
2 tsp organic almond extract
1 oz vodka or light rum to preserve.

Note that this is a pretty powerful mix. You might want to start with 1 Tbsp of the orange flower water and 1 tsp of the almond extract, and adjust to taste.

I got some almond milk thinking I was going to use the recipe I quoted in my previous post, but now that I think about if that almond milk is made as a milk substitute I can't imagine it really tasting very good. its still sealed I havent actually tried it. so I was thinking about going with your recipe scottes. I couldn't find orange flower water though and got the rose flower water. will it substitute for the orange alright?

anybody else feel free to chime in with opinions on these recipes. I refuse to mix my liquor with corn syrup any longer so I gotta figure this out!

View Profile of kleptic Send a personal message to kleptic  Goto the website of kleptic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 06:33 am   Permalink

Quote:
I couldn't find orange flower water though and got the rose flower water. will it substitute for the orange alright?

It's definitely a different flavor, and isn't ideal for a Mai Tai, but it is still useful and interesting. You may like a Mai Tai with the rose, but I find that Mai Tais are better with the orange.

You can easily find the orange flower water online, and that bottle is so small that shipping isn't exorbitant like when ordering a quart bottle of orgeat.

Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-16 1:52 pm   Permalink

What about using both Rose flower and Orange flower water?

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kleptic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-16 5:07 pm   Permalink

guess i'll put my orgeat on hold a bit and try to find the orange flower water

Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 6:16 pm   Permalink

I have found a great recipe with photos et al for making home made orgeat.

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=26&resolution=high

Best
Mark

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-21 08:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-20 18:16, Sparkle Mark wrote:
I have found a great recipe with photos et al for making home made orgeat.

Nice article, but I disagree with the recipe.

IMO the almonds should be chopped/ground much finer to allow more surface area to be exposed to the water and, being smaller nuggetrines, allowing the almond oil to emulsify quicker and more completely.

Slightly heating the almond bath can accelerate the emulsion a little but I think it detracts from the quality of the milk compared to soaking it longer instead. Boiling is definitely out of the question.

I would also avoid the almond powder (i.e., anything that is small enough to get through the strainer) and avoid the bitter almond extract. There is enough incidental almond powder created in the nuggetrine chopping/grinding process not to add any more. That powder is responsible for the layering that forms at the top, which IMO should be as minimal as possible. The almonds used are not bitter almonds, whereas the pure almond extract you get at the supermarket is made from bitter almonds. I prefer to preserve the original almond flavor from the emulsion rather than mask it with a different kind of almond flavor. If you are going to use almond extract to doctor the flavor, you might as well make your orgeat out of rice or barley and then use almond extract to flavor it.

When making the syrup, it is better not to cause the almond particles and residual oils to turn brown, so reducing the liquid slowly without boiling is highly recommended. The rule of thumb is to not ever bring the sugar and almond milk to a boil, but rather to a half boil (50C) monitored by using a candy thermometer. I don't usually have the patience to stick to that guideline, so I step it up and just stir and watch it for a long time. The idea is to cause the excess water to evaporate as quickly as possible without boiling.

Toasted orgeat ain't bad, really. If you do let the almond micro-particles and oils turn brown (with me from not paying attention to the batch). My orgeats typically have a slight caramel tinge to them because I'll often use turbinado sugar.

Anyway. That's my 2.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-21 10:15 am   Permalink

Hate to rain on the parade but violating the USPS laws is not a great idea, If you try to ship the alcohol yourself and get caught, you and the person you are shipping to will be heavily fined. A friend of mine got in a buttload of trouble last year for shipping some "Pixie Juice" they brought back from Rome. But... nuthins illegal till you get caught doing it and we can have a bail party for you at the MaiKai.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation