FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Home brew orgeat
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Home brew orgeat
Chinarose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-18 11:47 am   Permalink

Quote:
Me, I enjoy doing the Mad Scientist thing in the kitchen and bar so I don't consider it work.

I agree 100%. For me, this is one of my hobbies and loves. It's great fun making my own mixers for tiki drinks. I've been amazed at how much better my own stuff tastes from the store-bought.

I will say that I love Trader Tiki's cinnamon syrup, but I have never found an orgeat that I like as much as my homemade stuff. I use raw almonds (in bulk from Whole Foods), a syrup of turbinado sugar and water, orange flower water, rose water and almond extact). I do a quick soaking method with the almond meal and heating it up on the stove, letting that sit several hours, then straining and squeezing through cheesecloth. It has an amazing softness and tastes of sweet toasty almonds, caramel and a hint of floral essence.

I used the recipe that Kaiser Penguin posted with a few modifications. I use a lot more almonds, almost twice as much. I blanch the almonds, lightly toast them in the oven and then make a course almond meal/flour by pulsing the toasted, blanched almonds in the food processor. I soaked the almond meal for about 2 hours in a pot with boiled water. I strained through cheesecloth and squeezed, then put the almond milk back into the almond meal solids heated again on the stove, squeezed/strained again without soaking, then I did that all one more time. I added the sugar syrup and essences. Then I made myself a kick-ass Mai Tai that blew my mind.

View Profile of Chinarose Send a personal message to Chinarose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 8:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:
And where is the fun in that?

I totally agree with getting in the kitchen and making your own stuff!
I just finished making a batch of falernum.
I keep commercial orgeat around just in case I run out of homemade.
I think that I would prefer to use commercial orgeat from Torani or Monin and the like over using almond milk and sugar syrup.
I don't want to discourage anyone from experimenting in the kitchen, that is great fun.
That being said, I've tasted all sorts of almond milk products and not one could pass for something similar to the taste of orgeat.
(in my opinion)

What is not fun is wasting good rum on bad mixers.

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kollektor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 2:42 pm   Permalink

Just read this entire very interesting thread. With all the discussion of siphoning, straining, cheesecloth-ing, etc. it occured to me that what I once used in organic chemistry lab might work perfectly and make the extraction/separation process a lot quicker and easier:

and you can select your filter paper by grade to capture just the right sized particulates.

View Profile of Tiki Kollektor Send a personal message to Tiki Kollektor  Goto the website of Tiki Kollektor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 3:45 pm   Permalink

OH YEAH! That gear looks awesome, and maybe a touch scary.

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kollektor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 3:53 pm   Permalink

Corning bottle top aqueous filter
Hand vacuum pump
need a section of rubber hose
filter paper
the whole thing would cost 100 bucks maybe

View Profile of Tiki Kollektor Send a personal message to Tiki Kollektor  Goto the website of Tiki Kollektor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 4:33 pm   Permalink

I bet you'd end up on the FBI's watch list if you bought all that gear to make "syrups".

The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-20 07:52 am   Permalink

I have not yet tried this myself, but it's high up on my list once I get the chance. Perhaps, some of you would like to test this yourselves before I get around to it.

The most tedious part of making orgeat, the thing that keeps me from making it regularly, is making the almond milk. Blanching the almonds is some work, but it can be kinda fun and therapeutic for some. You can get pre-blanched almonds on the store, but if you want the best orgeat you can possibly make, you need to blanche them just before you make the milk.

I've tried all sorts of things and have improved the process, but having come across soy milk makers, I'm thinking that is the answer I have been seeking. Soy Milk makers advertise that they also make milk form grains and nuts as well.

One of the most crucial aspects of making your own almond milk is to avoid creating microparticles while grinding up the almonds. Those microparticles are able to find their way through just about every straining device or filter you can effectively use, thereby, causing the orgeat to make drinks a bit cloudy; which ain't right.

My latest effort has been to grind the freshly blanched almonds in a manual food grinder, slowly so that the resulting chunks do not become reground and create microparticles. Royal pain in the ass of course, but necessary.

These soy milk makers grind the nuts while they make the milk and, apparently, have no issues with microparticles, so the milk comes out just right.

Here is a link to a comparison among several popular brands. I would have liked to have tested this myself before passing this nugget along to you, but that could take a while.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 07:52, The Gnomon wrote:
snip
One of the most crucial aspects of making your own almond milk is to avoid creating microparticles while grinding up the almonds. Those microparticles are able to find their way through just about every straining device or filter you can effectively use, thereby, causing the orgeat to make drinks a bit cloudy; which ain't right.
snip

I have to respectfully disagree with you.
The particulate matter that makes it into homemade orgeat is the point.
You certainly don't want too much or you will be chewing on almond bits.
The cloudiness of homemade orgeat is mimicked in the commercial brands with all kinds of things to make the orgeat cloudy, such as fractionated coconut and ester gum.
If homemade orgeat makes a cocktail a little extra cloudy or frothy so be it.
After thinking about it so much I need to go and make a mai tai now.

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 13:26, Sparkle Mark wrote:
... I need to go and make a mai tai now.

Since your already going behind the bar can you make me one too?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seabass

Posted: 2010-05-20 6:32 pm   Permalink

Scottes,

I'd be interested on your take on the difference between your extract orgeat and the orgeat you made by straining almonds. Was there a big difference in taste? If tasted side by side blind tasting do you believe you could say one was superior to the other?

View Profile of seabass Send a personal message to seabass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 09:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 18:32, seabass wrote:
Scottes,

I'd be interested on your take on the difference between your extract orgeat and the orgeat you made by straining almonds. Was there a big difference in taste? If tasted side by side blind tasting do you believe you could say one was superior to the other?

Yes, and yes. Easily.

But this won't be tasted side-by-side - it will be tasted in a Mai Tai, right? In that case this difference is more subtle. I could probably tell the difference in a side-by-side test of two otherwise identical Mai Tais. But I doubt that I could tell the difference if I started the night with the real stuff and then switched to a lesser mix.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-02 09:01 am   Permalink

Hey, Scottes,

Long time no see. Hope all is well. You might want to check out the soy milk makers I tracked down. Might be the answer to effortless almond milk.

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 07:52, The Gnomon wrote:

These soy milk makers grind the nuts while they make the milk and, apparently, have no issues with microparticles, so the milk comes out just right.

Here is a link to a comparison among several popular brands. I would have liked to have tested this myself before passing this nugget along to you, but that could take a while.

At this point I am using the nylon filter bags you unearthed some time ago and put that down into my Progressive International Salad Spinner (huge open area inside for the bag to spin; lots of clearance, no significant interference). I borrow a manual crank food mill (Oxo) to carefully "grate" the almonds without making any microparticles. It's a pain in the ass, but effective. You have to grind slowly to avoid microparticles; but that only works when your nuts are moist.

Some of these soy milk makers sound pretty good, so I'm thinking this might be the answer. Not sure when I'll get around to checking it out myself, so I tossed it out there as something others could try if they didn't want to wait around for me.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 9:47 pm   Permalink

I used the Ahu orgeat #1 recipe over the weekend as a first attempt and was really surprised. The only orgeat I can find around here is from Collins Bros, and it as a syrupy, bland mess at best. This home made stuff is far beyond the store bought. I really enjoy it but next time I think I will cut down on the amount of rosewater used.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 2:12 pm   Permalink

I've done the Ahu version as well, and like it. I'm way too lazy to milk a crapload of almonds and I don't mind a slightly cloudy product. It worked very well.

It's become a bit of a disease thought. I've also made, simple syrup, cinnamon syrup, and falernum. Pretty soon, there won't be room in my fridge for food....

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 08:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-24 14:12, dcman wrote:
Pretty soon, there won't be room in my fridge for food....

Limes are food.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation