FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Home brew orgeat
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Home brew orgeat
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 09:52 am   Permalink

so has anybody ever gotten their hands on a dusty bottle of Garnier orgeat to make a comparison with the various homemade recipes?

is it possible the Garnier tasted more like today's sticky sweet commercial orgeat products, and less like the homemade versions?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-02 11:33 pm   Permalink

Ooops! I know it's on here somewhere, but does anyone remember what the shelf life is for Ahu orgeat #1?

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BRussell

Posted: 2011-03-10 8:34 pm   Permalink

Just made my first orgeat using this recipe:

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/the-perfect-orgeat-syrup-recipe/

Here's my problem: I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like. I've never been to a decent tiki bar. The only commercial orgeat I've ever gotten ahold of is Fee's (and that stuff can't be right in spite of the bum's endorsement).

It's thicker than I imagined it, maple syrup thick. Also a very dark color (maybe because I used dememara sugar).

Given it's tasty, but what combo of almonds and tons of sugar wouldn't taste good?

And advice for a sort of cross reference, or an opinion on the recipe I used? The only orgeat I've been able to find in my area (Orlando) is one dusty bottle of Finest Call and it didn't look promising.

View Profile of BRussell Send a personal message to BRussell      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 08:15 am   Permalink

I'd be indeed curious how it compares to the Finest Call, the only brand i've been able to find on a shelf (somebody around here carried the Collins brand orgeat a few years ago, but no more).

I once made an 'emergency orgeat' recipe somebody had published, but it was rather weak tasting.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-10 9:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Ahu orgeat #1

2 cups of the organic sugar
2 cups of the almond milk
1 cup plain water
4 teaspoons organic almond extract
1 tbsp rose flower water
1/2 cup Cruzan light rum

Combined everything save the rose water and set to boil it in a pot. Once boiling I reduced the heat and simmered it on low (bubbling a good bit) for 25 minutes, whisking occasionally. This was funneled into an empty rum bottle along with the rose water and shaken. Left to cool and rest.

I wanted to resurrect this old topic because I was in a real pinch today, I ran out of my go to Teisseire Orgeat and my shipment won't arrive until next week. Meanwhile, I was jonesing for a Mai Tai really bad this weekend. I bought the Torani, the only orgeat that's sold in the Cincinnati area (aside from the horrible Fee's). Made a round of Mai Tai's with the Torani last night and it was vile. The fake chemical flavor of the Torani ruined my drinks so badly that I couldn't finish mine. I looked through TC for a solution and found this thread, and it saved my weekend.

I made the above recipe and it produced a quick, flavorful and very serviceable orgeat that made a great Mai Tai. I omitted the water in the above recipe and dissolved the sugar directly into the almond milk (the water just seemed like it would dilute the syrup). I also only heated the solution enough to dissolve the sugar and didn't allow it to boil. I also added 1tsp each of both rose water and orange flower water to the syrup after it was off the heat. I didn't use any rum in my orgeat either. I let it cool and, Maita'i roa a'e!, This is some good orgeat. It doesn't have quite the viscosity of a good commercial syrup, but it has a great flavor that's clean and really shines in a drink. Thanks to all of the TCer's who contributed to this great thread, you saved my weekend!

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bender_Rodriguez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-10 12:15 pm   Permalink

My huge bottle of orgeat from Okole Maluna (aka Trader Tiki) was starting to get a little iffy so I decided to home brew a little of my own last night using a simple recipe of 2 parts extra fine sugar, 1 part unsweetened almond milk and 1/8 tsp. almond extract with just a dash of Creole Shrubb (didn't have the patience to go hunting around for orange flower water)and simmered it until it thickened slightly, and I gotta say it came out pretty damn tasty. Gonna mix up some Mai Tais tonight after I've let the syrup chill overnight and see how it goes.

[ This Message was edited by: Bender_Rodriguez 2013-07-16 11:31 ]

View Profile of Bender_Rodriguez Send a personal message to Bender_Rodriguez  Goto the website of Bender_Rodriguez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 04:09 am   Permalink

It's hard to believe that I posted this six years ago. I just bought some almonds to make a batch of real orgeat, but it's still a pain in the ass to do, so I rely on Emergency Orgeat more than anything else. Main difference over the years is that the store-bought almond milk seems to be going downhill in quality. Right now I'm using Pacific Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk, but whatever "improvements" they've made to it over the years seem to keep the micro-particles suspended in the liquid longer (takes longer for it to settle out) and the foam created in the blending process is thicker in consistency. Emergency Orgeat is very thin, not thick and creamy like the real stuff. But when you need a Mai Tai...now...

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2013-07-18 04:11 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 08:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 04:09, The Gnomon wrote:
....but it's still a pain in the ass to do...

I dunno, I forget the originator of this recipe, but I don't think making orgeat from scratch is that complicated.

I use:

1 to 1.5 pounds of slivered, blanched almonds from Trader Joes roasted at 400 for 10-15 min with a flip in between. Then I chop them with my slap chopper gizmo (not too fine). Simmer almonds with 4 cups of water for 2-3 minutes. Turn off and let sit overnight. In the morning, strain (coarse strainer then mesh bag). Measure liquid (usually around 3 cups). Heat liquid then add equal amounts of sugar. Stir and let cool. Add 1/8 tsp of orange blossom and rose (optional) water and increase to taste. I also add 1-2 oz of vodka for a preservative.

It makes enough orgeat to supply with a summer's worth of mai tais. Tastes wonderful!

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 09:04 am   Permalink

Why go to all of that trouble roasting almonds? You're effectively making almond extract, and if you live near an organic food store you should be able to get good quality almond extract off the shelf.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 09:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 08:29, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-07-18 04:09, The Gnomon wrote:
....but it's still a pain in the ass to do...

I dunno, I forget the originator of this recipe, but I don't think making orgeat from scratch is that complicated.

I use:

1 to 1.5 pounds of slivered, blanched almonds from Trader Joes roasted at 400 for 10-15 min with a flip in between. Then I chop them with my slap chopper gizmo (not too fine). Simmer almonds with 4 cups of water for 2-3 minutes. Turn off and let sit overnight. In the morning, strain (coarse strainer then mesh bag). Measure liquid (usually around 3 cups). Heat liquid then add equal amounts of sugar. Stir and let cool. Add 1/8 tsp of orange blossom and rose (optional) water and increase to taste. I also add 1-2 oz of vodka for a preservative.

It makes enough orgeat to supply with a summer's worth of mai tais. Tastes wonderful!

That is just about what I do with my homemade orgeat, except I toast just very lightly otherwise the orgeat comes out darker than I like. A also usually add a teaspoon of bitter almond extract, but it's good either way.

I ran out of the homemade stuff a couple of weeks ago and have not had a chance to make more so I've been suffering with commercial stuff (Fee Bros.) and it is wretched.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 10:27 am   Permalink

That's pretty much the way I do it as well. But I'm lazy, so it seems like a lot of trouble to me.

I think a light toast brings out a nice flavor. And it's richer than you can get from almond extract.

It does come out pretty dark. More so if you use demerara sugar, which I really liked when I did.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

I have to start making my own. I can't stand most of the syrups off the shelf. Thank you for the info and I will report back in a couple weeks with my results.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 2:04 pm   Permalink

We did an orgeat taste test a while back on Professor Cocktail. The only commercial syrups that I could recommend without hesitation were the BG Reynolds and Small Hand Foods. They're both pricey and you have to go to some effort to get them. But they're definitely worthy.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-18 5:04 pm   Permalink

I just purchased a bottle of Orgeat from Small Hand (As well as all their Gum syrups). . . I haven't tried it yet, but I'm concerned that it has separated in the bottle. I don't know if this is 'normal' or not. Up to now, I've been extremely pleased with Teisseire (from France) for many years and I've just placed an order for 8 more bottles. I know that I don't have the patience, fortitude or desire to devote the time to making my own home-made version when there is Teisseire out there - which, by the way, is all 'natural'.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 5:31 pm   Permalink

The separation in Small Hand Foods orgeat is normal. Shake before using.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation