FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Home brew orgeat
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Home brew orgeat
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 6:15 pm   Permalink

BG Reynolds makes fantastic stuff, but I had to stop buying it because it spoiled before I could finish it.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 7:47 pm   Permalink

Teisseire got a middling score in our rankings. Routin did the best of the mass market brands.

Opinions vary, naturally.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 8:45 pm   Permalink

I haven't had trouble with my BG Reynolds orgeat going bad but I keep it in the refrigerator once opened. I buy several bottles at a time since it is stocked by only one of my favorite liquor stores and even then it is not always available.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bender_Rodriguez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-19 09:11 am   Permalink

I wish I could've said the same I bought the big 25.4oz bottle about 3 1/2 months ago and it started developing this weird gummy brown layer on the top that no amount of shaking could get rid of. I've kept it in the fridge (albeit on the door, where I probably should have kept it in the colder back section). The taste was a bit off and one mai tai I made had little brown bits floating in it that was just extremely unappealing. While I didn't want to toss the bottle (which was certainly not cheap), I just didn't want to risk getting sick. I love their orgeat and the next time I place an order before a big party, I might just stick with the smaller 12.7oz size. I wonder if you split the large bottle up into smaller containers and freeze it (defrost as needed) how that would affect the flavor...Seems an experiment might be in order...

Quote:

On 2013-07-18 20:45, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I haven't had trouble with my BG Reynolds orgeat going bad but I keep it in the refrigerator once opened. I buy several bottles at a time since it is stocked by only one of my favorite liquor stores and even then it is not always available.

[ This Message was edited by: Bender_Rodriguez 2013-07-19 09:11 ]

View Profile of Bender_Rodriguez Send a personal message to Bender_Rodriguez  Goto the website of Bender_Rodriguez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 11:29 am   Permalink

I tried to persuade them to offer versions with preservatives in addition to their regular offerings, but it was a no-go.

I'm having some luck storing them in the freezer, because the sugar content of some of them is high enough they still pour, but I can't imagine they'll last indefinitely.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 5:51 pm   Permalink

Interesting. I bought a bottle once that had some brown flakes suspended in it from the day I bought it. It tasted fine so I assumed it was residue from the almonds. Who knows! I served it to eight relatives and they all survived. I better check my stock for the more serious sounding impregnable top layer!

Soon I will post a photo of small flake residue I recently found in one of my old label Lemon Hart 151s. I had no fear as it must have been sterilized!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-19 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Teisseire got a middling score in our rankings. Routin did the best of the mass market brands.

Quite true . . . but I like it better than most othes.

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-07-19 18:52 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bender_Rodriguez
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-19 9:51 pm   Permalink

It was more than just little flakes unfortunately. The pieces were gummy and kinda viscous, almost like dark brown tapioca (gross huh?). Ah well. Might try the freezing method next time, or just adding a neutral spirit to the bottle to preserve it.
Quote:

On 2013-07-19 17:51, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
Interesting. I bought a bottle once that had some brown flakes suspended in it from the day I bought it. It tasted fine so I assumed it was residue from the almonds. Who knows! I served it to eight relatives and they all survived. I better check my stock for the more serious sounding impregnable top layer!

Soon I will post a photo of small flake residue I recently found in one of my old label Lemon Hart 151s. I had no fear as it must have been sterilized!

View Profile of Bender_Rodriguez Send a personal message to Bender_Rodriguez  Goto the website of Bender_Rodriguez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-21 07:04 am   Permalink

I agree. I wouldn't have tried it in that condition either. Sounds like it was too far gone.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 09:22 am   Permalink

I made a batch of orgeat this weekend using a process I have been tweaking for the last year of so and it gives me a product I am very happy with. I used up my last homemade batch a couple of months ago and have been suffering with crappy Fee Bros until I could find the time to make a new batch. Many delicious celebratory Mai Tais and Pinky Gonzales cocktails were had by my wife and I yesterday when it was ready. Tonight I am thinking Honi Honis and a Scorpion or two!

Here's an encapsulation of a process that will give you one 750 ml bottle of very tasty homemade orgeat.

• Blanch 1 10.25 oz can of raw almonds in a quart of water that has been brought to a boil and removed from heat.

• Remove the skins and rough chop in a food processor with 8 ounces of water.

• Transfer to large saucepan or other nonreactive, heat-proof vessel and add 24 oz boiling water, stir well and let stand 3 hours.

• Strain into clean saucepan and add 1 lb sugar (I like to use confectioner’s sugar for quick dissolving and because it comes in handy 1-pound boxes so no weighing is required). Using a digital thermometer, heat and stir until temperature reaches 140ºF and sugar is dissolved.

• Transfer to 750 ml bottle. Add 1 oz Noyau almond essence, 1 tsp. orange flower water and 0.5 tsp. rose water.

• Keep handy in the fridge for Friday 6pm Mai Tais!

A couple of things I have tweaked along the way that you might find helpful. . .

Lots of online orgeat recipes call for toasting the almonds but I have stopped doing that. It’s pretty easy to burn the almonds if you are not careful and I don’t think it added enough additional flavor to be worth it. It also makes the finished product a bit darker than I cared for.

Similarly, many recipes suggest using brown/Demerara/turbinado sugar, which I generally don’t do unless I am specifically going for a dark orgeat. The dark stuff works well enough in a Mai Tai, but I don’t think it makes nearly as attractive a drink as a lighter orgeat does for something like a Japanese Cocktail or a Scorpion Bowl.

The 1 oz of almond essence sounds like a lot but this product (I get it from a Latin grocery) has alcohol and water added to it and is not nearly as concentrated as baker’s almond extract.

Like lots of people, I often find straining to be the biggest hassle when making homemade syrups, extracts, infusions, etc. If your strainer is too coarse it lets too many fine solids through but if it is too fine it clogs too quickly. For very small batches I’ll still use a food strainer/coffee filter combination for rough/fine straining, but for larger amounts I’ve actually taken to using a sturdy 55% poly/45% cotton pillowcase that I can really squeeze hard without tearing to get the liquid out white retaining even very fine solids. I know it sounds odd but it works really well.

If anybody gives this method a shout, please let me know what you think.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 09:46 am   Permalink

Jeffrey Morgenthaler talks about orgeat in his terrific new book, The Bar Book: Elements of Cocktail Technique. He says it's one of the things that he doesn't make in-house, since it's so labor-intensive and hard to get right. (And he's not running a Tiki bar.) He recommends using Small Hand Foods (#1) or B.G. Reynolds (#2). I tend to agree. Making orgeat is a huge pain in the ass. For me, it's not worth it. Not that we can get good bottled stuff now.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 10:28 am   Permalink

Shipping costs alone keep me from regularly using Blair's products or Small Hands. If I could get a quality product locally I would be likely to agree with you.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 10:35 am   Permalink

It does get expensive, for sure. I just bite the bullet and pay for it.

If I enjoyed my time in the kitchen more, I'd probably be more willing to make my own. But I don't.

You might check this place. I've ordered from them before:

http://www.barproducts.com/b-g-reynolds-orgeat-exotic-syrup

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 07:52 am   Permalink

Right now I'm tearing through a bottle of Adelaide's Orgeat, I'd recommend it!

http://wilksandwilson.com/products/adelaides-orgeat/

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 08:21 am   Permalink

I like the Wilks and Wilson orgeat, too. I should have mentioned it, but I keep forgetting about them because they're new. Which is especially bad, since I know Zach Wilks a little. Oops!

I've tried several of their syrups and have been impressed. They're doing good work.

I have no compared it side-by-side with the Small Hand Foods and B.G. Reynolds. But I think it's a worthy alternative. (In my memory, it's more like the former than the latter.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation