FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Home brew orgeat
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
Home brew orgeat
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 3:32 pm   Permalink

FWIW, try making great with organic almond milk (available at your nearest Hostile Foods), buying the little "kid packs" where available, so you only have to make a little at time.

Using almond milk saves you the whole blanch-squish-strain trip. Just add sugar and orange flower water and rosewater and you're good to go. This is ideal if you're Trader Vic-ing for a whole crowd.

HTH!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lll888

Posted: 2015-09-15 6:10 pm   Permalink

I stumbled on to this thread looking for super quick home-brew Orgeat. Simply as an alternative to the commercial syrups that border $10-12 per bottle and are low quality. I found Ahu orgeat #1:

2 cups of the organic sugar
2 cups of the almond milk
1 cup plain water
4 teaspoons organic almond extract
1 tbsp rose flower water
1/2 cup Cruzan light rum

And it's been working for me. Has anyone ever eliminated water completely from the mix? How did it turn out? Did Ahu ever make #2? Mine seems a bit watery possibly because i'm not cooking it down extensively.

Cheers

View Profile of lll888 Send a personal message to lll888      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 20 days ago; 7:02 pm   Permalink

As an experiment, (and because I finally burned through my previous supply) I made a batch of Ahu orgeat #1 without the extra cup of water. I was lucky enough to source a bottle of Orange Blossom Water last weekend, so I used that in place of the rose water. It seems to have turned out pretty well - similar quality of almond flavor to the orgeat I had made from scratch. The mixture didn't have to be reduced as much, so that eliminated about 30 minutes of simmering from the recipe. It certainly manages to impart that warmth of flavor when incorporated in a Mai Tai. So far, a success.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation