FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Don The Beachcomber, Marina Del Rey, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Don The Beachcomber, Marina Del Rey, CA (restaurant)
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 12:33 pm   Permalink

I was watching some episodes from Dexter (Showtime series about a Miami serial killer, awesome show!) over the weekend. I thought that show was all shot on location down in South Florida. But in Season 4 when Dexter crashes his car, he has to stop by the pharmacy. I thought the scene looked familiar, then here it was. They were using the old Don's in Marina Del Rey as the pharmacy when Dex gets out and explores around the exterior of the place for a few mintues (mostly digging in the dumpster).

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 6:09 pm   Permalink

Bora Boris,

Thanks for posting those screengrabs, great shots of the place in all of its glory.

I stopped by the building on Monday on my way to lunch at the Warehouse Restaurant which is right down the street. Happy to report that the building is still there in the same historic condition.

I saw this sign out front - a notice of an environmental impact report for development at the site which concerned me!

I went on line today to check it out. The Marina Del Rey Hotel, located next door, is applying for a major remodel, including the Don The Beachcomber building. The good news is the the building is not going to be torn down. Here is the site plan and elevations from the MND website.

The bad news is that the plans indicate that the DTB building is going to get a new tile roof and a coat of white paint, and is going to be used for offices and a spa.

If you haven't seen the old gal you should make a point of stopping by before it gets the make over. It is only a few minutes from the 405 and the lunch at the Warehouse was quite good. You can get the Rum Barrel and keep the mug for $10.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 10:16 pm   Permalink

Wow - thanks for the update DC... it's good news that this classic building will survive, but sad to know it will most likely be stripped of any remaining visible signs of its former self. I gotta add this to my socal tour I'm planning...

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 12:21 pm   Permalink

Here's the aerial view of the UFO from 1972 ~

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-08 18:06, Bora Boris wrote:
The Style Network is showing Loverboy a few times this week if you'd like to get a small dose of the Marina Del Rey Don's.

Screen grabs courtesy of Mr. Bali Hai

Just saw this post on the previous page. Call me kuku, but that Tiki in the foreground looks like it's from the same prop smith than the three on the Waltons set (incl. the Peewee Tiki). No it is not the SAME than anyone of the three, but the style and fiberglass make me think that it was made by the same maker.

Oh, and this rendering belongs in this thread too:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-20 3:56 pm   Permalink

Gone baby gone. On of the longest extant Tiki temple ruins, now a construction site. Last time I saw it, we had fun. Thanks John-0:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=39471&forum=17&start=90

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 7:58 pm   Permalink

Not completely gone, just remodeled. The "bones" are still there. I took this photo today...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 07:31 am   Permalink

Great thread.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-22 2:43 pm   Permalink

John-O,

Thanks for the photo update. Glad I got to see it a few times before the remodel. I sure hope someone saved those front doors. Here is a really old aerial shot of the UFO building.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation