FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New Stuff 21/07/2007
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
New Stuff 21/07/2007
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 06:08 am   Permalink

very nice indeed "love the finish"

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
micky tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-18 08:41 am   Permalink

aloha and welcome to tc

great tiki..i love the finish keep em comin

mahalo

View Profile of micky tiki Send a personal message to micky tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 10:38 am   Permalink

E-bay always has a ton of wood for sale at decent prices. I have found a lot. The exotic's are beautiful, but much harder to carve. You're doing great with pine and your Exacto blades. "If it Ain't broke, don't fix it", so keep on with the pine. You have anything else in the works?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Yubaba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-22 09:15 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Benzart, I have a few logs laying around waiting to be carved, but I need a new arrange of tools first. Just don't think the xacto knives will "cut" it...

I'm trying to start on a series of small tiki's, but I'm a little short on time right now.

Give me a couple of more days and I will be able to show more work

View Profile of Yubaba Send a personal message to Yubaba      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 6:10 pm   Permalink

So how is the tiki scene over there in Belgium?

Nice piece too. Clean!
Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Yubaba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-23 07:13 am   Permalink

Park Buzzy, maybe the scene here is very underground because I haven't seen any signs of a real scene yet. Past summer I saw vague signs of something forming, but all the rain in august washed that vibe away.

Most of the time when I talk about tiki's, people get this blank look in their eyes.

This little tiki was actually "commisioned" for a friend, as to be installed as a shiftstick. (hotrod fan) I will surely post pictures when it's installed, can hardly wait myself.

View Profile of Yubaba Send a personal message to Yubaba      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Yubaba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-30 03:48 am   Permalink

Some new stuff, far from finished

I've been lurking around on this forum for a while and got inspired by Basement Kahuna & Tikimecula's clubs
This is my try, extreme fun

Hopefully one of you can answer this question for me, are chisels of this kind as expensive in the US as they are here in belgium?

These kind of prices depress me

[ This Message was edited by: Yubaba 2006-11-30 08:40 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua - fixed images - 2006-11-30 12:17 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 07:11 am   Permalink

Yubaba, welcome to TC. I don't know how I missed this post. Wonderful carvings indeed. Post more!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 08:20 am   Permalink

Nice work......perfect balance and color.
Congratulations.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-11-30 08:25 ]

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 10:01 am   Permalink

Hey youbaba,

I'm impressed with the 3 tikis you showed today on your first picture. Very great work.

I agree completely with what you wrote about people when you talk about tikis. I think it is an european problem

Where do you come from in Belgium ? My wife has just fell in love with Brugge.

What type of wood did you use ?
What will be the final color ?

Ben.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Yubaba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-30 1:52 pm   Permalink

Benella, maybe we should plan a Tiki raid on central europe, together with HaiKai from Germany? I'm from Antwerp, now all we need is the dutch.
But they're probably too busy making clogs...

All the wood is pine, some bought, some scavenged

[ This Message was edited by: Yubaba 2006-11-30 13:53 ]

tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 9:02 pm   Permalink

Good looking Tikis! Nice work on the Solomon Club, Keep it up!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-01 12:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-30 13:52, Yubaba wrote:
now all we need is the dutch.

[ This Message was edited by: Yubaba 2006-11-30 13:53 ]

Yes you are totally right !!!
It would be cool.

Keep on posting.

Ben

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 11:00 pm   Permalink

Nice club, man!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 11:24 pm   Permalink

Hi Yubaba! Great work! Are those new ones pine or basswood? They look great!

Chisels are pretty expensive, but you don't need a 20 piece set to begin with. In the US you can find straight chisels at the hardware store. I actually started with these 3 chisels for $10.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0426372712.1165562453@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcaddjihlgllgcgelceffdfgidgio.0&MID=9876

Hopefully you can find something similar. After you've worked with those, you can branch out into gouges, I've got 4 to begin with, and they're very helpful, and ran about $120. Most things you can do with the straight ones, it just takes a lot longer than the expensive chisels.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation