FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Easter Island Mosaic - Craigslist Bay Area
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Easter Island Mosaic - Craigslist Bay Area
WeezieJefferson

Posted: 2008-04-09 09:47 am   Permalink

I have an Easter Island mosaic for sale on ebay. Check it out: store name Satisfashion eClectables

View Profile of WeezieJefferson Send a personal message to WeezieJefferson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 10:28 am   Permalink

That's a darn fancy name for a store if I ever heard one! But if you cannot post a link, people won't find it, I'm afraid, it's too much work.

Thanks though for turning me on to this thread, it must have gotten by me somehow til now. The do-it-yourself home kit origin seems quite certain now, if you ask me. That still leaves the question of what company sold the blueprint, and WHO was the designer of it? And are there actual old templates still to be found out there? I mean this would be a classic example of a "abandoned project" kind of a deal that gets put in the garage "to do later".

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-09 14:16 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WeezieJefferson

Posted: 2008-04-09 12:40 pm   Permalink

Oopsie! Here it be: http://stores.ebay.com/Satisfashion-eClectables

View Profile of WeezieJefferson Send a personal message to WeezieJefferson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 1:54 pm   Permalink

That looks like a well done example (as far as one can tell from those photos, ahem!), it seems they got everything right on this one: The grey rain streaks coming down from the cloud cover, the golden reflections of the lightning and the sun in the water, even the little dabs of grey ash raining down in the volcano cloud on the right.

I am not going to say how much mine cost. Even back then (the early 90s), I thought the store owner had omitted a zero when he quoted me the price. Yet when he repeated that two digit figure a second time, I did not question it again, I just paid and hurried it out of there, barely controlling my composure.

PS: I just compared it to mine, and I'll be damned, it STILL has a slight variance: In the right half the waves and one fish are not there. The Viking ship sits lower (where the waves are on mine) and is flipped:

I wonder what the title of this pattern was...: "The Birth of Aku Aku", perhaps ?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-09 14:18 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WeezieJefferson

Posted: 2008-04-09 2:08 pm   Permalink

Sorry about the photos (I'm no Bob Cummings, and I don't have an assistant named "Schultzie"), but I digress. I bought mine for high three digits in '92. (double digits isn't like a "five finger discount" is it?)

Devoid169

Posted: 2009-07-06 11:35 am   Permalink

I finally found you guys!! I've had one of these mosaics for over 10 years now and was trying to find its origins - which still seem to be a bit of a mystery. HOWEVER, mine has the artists name on a brass plaque on the front: Richard L. Croft (who still remains a mystery to me as I've googled him numerous times over the years..). I was riding my bicycle one night near the Galleria mall near Redondo Beach, Ca and noticed a bunch of stuff on the curb - as in someone got evicted or something. The mosaic was leaning up against a pile of regular crap - I fell in love instantly! Still, I was on a bicycle and these are HEAVY!! Quick sprint to a buddy's house and we went back over in his car to retrieve it and its been on my wall ever since. Interesting note: In the movie 'Demon Night' with Billy Zane (awesome movie btw), there's a somewhat similar mosaic on the wall of the hotel lobby - not Easter Island theme but the style and size are so similar to ours that I can't help but wonder.... Donny Steele - Huntington Beach, Ca

[ This Message was edited by: Devoid169 2009-07-06 11:36 ]

View Profile of Devoid169 Send a personal message to Devoid169  Email Devoid169     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolloGuitar

Posted: 2009-09-05 12:14 pm   Permalink

Hello,
This is Ferenc from the band Pollo del Mar. This is my first post to TikiCentral after having been a lurker for years.

One topic of interest to me is the "holy grail" search for the tiki mosaic, of which there are many fine examples posted on TC, and has been the source of inspiration for so many reproductions. There are a few threads about these mosaics, but this is the most recent, so I am posting my info here.

In 1996 I was very lucky to find one at a Santa Monica antique barn and purchased it for $250. We later used it as the art for our 1997 release "The Ocean Is Not For Cowards".

After that I had an email exchange with Sven who asked how I had gotten a pic of his mosaic, and he told me that he had only seen a three of them- mine, his and one in Melissa Etheridge's house.

About two years ago Mel & Jessica Waldorf found a 1957 catalog from the M. Large Company (M. Large apparently is the designer). I have made a 24MB PDF of the catalog for you to download:
http://www.pollodelmar.com/MLargeMosaicTileCatalog1957.pdf

But, briefly, the tiki mosaic and many others were available in kits, but the 16x75 tiki mosaic is featured inside the front cover, so my guess is that this was their featured product. Original price: $58.75. They give color tile suggestions for each design, but you ordered the tiles separately so that explains the variation in the examples posted here on TC.

Recently I ran across one in front of the Hotel Oceana in Santa Monica:

Oh, and look, there's Paris Hilton in front of it:

Enjoy!
ferenc

View Profile of PolloGuitar Send a personal message to PolloGuitar  Goto the website of PolloGuitar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 06:49 am   Permalink

Nice work Ferenc and welcome to TC.

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-05 12:14, PolloGuitar wrote:

Quote:

Paris Hilton says:

That's hot, bitches....

Welcome aboard, PG!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 1:18 pm   Permalink

Ha I just saw that mosaic in from of that hotel on some travel show recently.

I still plan to do some detailed photography of my original so that others can use it as a plan to make their own

as per this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3106&forum=5&start=45

and WOW! that PDF catalog!!

Seems like the mystery has been solved once and for all.

Those designs are great. Makes me want to blow one of them up and make my own mosiac..

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva 2010-02-12 13:23 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 10:12 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-09-06 12:02, Haole'akamai wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-09-05 12:14, PolloGuitar wrote:

Hey Dumb Dumb...want gum gum!

[ This Message was edited by: beadtiki 2010-02-13 10:13 ]

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-25 2:23 pm   Permalink

Found this today when out hunting....

It looks like the home kit that was only partly finished with the remaining tiles or pattern nowhere in sight.

Does anyone have a picture of what the original Moai Mosaic kit looked like when complete? I've seen pictures of the bigger one made with glass tiles. This one is made with the small square ceramic tiles. While I could come up with my own background based on the big original one, it would be great to see, if anyone has a picture of what the small kit looked like.

Mahalo for any assistance!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 9:52 pm   Permalink

Can't help with that one, but did see this old photo of the large version.

Hope you find the info your looking for.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 3:41 pm   Permalink

I posted this in Tiki finds the other day, but decided to dig up this thread to put it in its proper topic. I saw this one on Sunday at Long Beach antique flea market. The seller asking $1500.00 was out of my price range, though.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-10 07:22 am   Permalink

Okay....I've been inspired by other TC'ers to create my own Tiki Mosaic and have run into a conflict. IN teh Book of Tiki (and in other posted versions on this site) I have seen the design of the eastern most Moai done in one way, yet in the catalogue it is different (see below).

What is more authentic? The Book of Tiki (my original inspiration) or the original catalogue?

What say thee?

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation