FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Donn Beach centennial - February 22, 2007
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Donn Beach centennial - February 22, 2007
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 3:50 pm   Permalink

Earnest Raymond Beaumont Gant - aka Donn Beach - would have been 100 on this coming February 22nd.

Seeing as how the ball was largely dropped in celebrating Trader Vic's 100th a few years ago (I called Trader Vic's a week before hand, and with the exception of a nice little party in Emeryville, and a very small gatehering in Chicago, nothing happened), it would be nice to get back in good with the Tiki Gods by planning local Donn Beach centennial events all over the country.

The only Don the Beachcomber restaurant open is the first in a chain of new ones in Kailua-Kona (Big Island of Hawaii), but I think that synchronized bashes in all of our home Tiki Bars or favorite local Tiki joints is in order.

Anyone want to start throwing ideas around for a coordinated series of parties

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-02-13 15:05 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-21 1:01 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:42 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 4:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-21 13:01, filslash wrote:
Aloha,

I will share a nice bottle of rum with an old friend! I know exactly where.

The Banyan tree wasn't afected by the "Renovation"?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 9:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-14 16:58, freddiefreelance wrote:
The Banyan tree wasn't afected by the "Renovation"?

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:44 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 05:55 am   Permalink

My birthday is Feb 19. I'll be nowhere near 100, but I'll be more than happy to accept gift bottles of rum in honor of the great Donn Beach. Just think of him as you're sending them to me. It won't hurt my feelings, honest.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-18 08:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-18 15:50, tikibars wrote:

...The only Don the Beachcomber restaurant open is the first in a chain of new ones in Kailua-Kona (Big Island of Hawaii)...

Actually, Don the Beachcomber in Maui was still open (in their halfhearted manner) when we were there three days after you wrote this. Its days are numbered, but the bulldozers aren't there yet. Definitely not worth a long trip, but people in the area should set up a party HQ there.

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-18 15:50, tikibars wrote:

...The only Don the Beachcomber restaurant open is the first in a chain of new ones in Kailua-Kona (Big Island of Hawaii)...

Quote:

On 2006-12-18 08:37, Tonga Trader wrote:Actually, Don the Beachcomber in Maui was still open (in their halfhearted manner) when we were there three days after you wrote this. Its days are numbered, but the bulldozers aren't there yet. Definitely not worth a long trip, but people in the area should set up a party HQ there.

I think the key point of tikibars' post is that the Maui location is not currently being operated as a restaurant. Just as a bar and lounge under Don's name in the location of the former restaurant. Although according to the hotel...when the renovations are finished, the new Don's at this Maui property will return to being a restaurant and bar, just like on the Big Island.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-18 1:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-18 12:49, PremEx wrote:

I think the key point of tikibars' post is that the Maui location is not currently being operated as a restaurant. Just as a bar and lounge under Don's name in the location of the former restaurant. Although according to the hotel...when the renovations are finished, the new Don's at this Maui property will return to being a restaurant and bar, just like on the Big Island.

Okay. I did see the word "restaurant" in his post, thought about it, and couldn't think of any reason why a functional restaurant - or lack thereof - would have any relevance to a Donn Beach 100th anniversary party. When I was researching my trip there recently, I found it was a little unclear whether it was closed already or not, so I thought it deserved mentioning, in case anyone else was unclear as well. Anyone who is on Maui that day should go. Besides, they'll give you all the pretzels and wasabi peas you want.

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I found it was a little unclear whether it was closed already or not, so I thought it deserved mentioning, in case anyone else was unclear as well. Anyone who is on Maui that day should go.

Agree! Especially because this Royal Lahaina Hotel Don's location, was once an original full-bore fabulous Don The Beachcomber restaurant and bar (which I used to frequent right there in that same building) in the late 70's and 80's).

So even though the Big Island has a new restaurant called Don The Beachcomber, it's not actually one of the original ones that Donn himself might have had a hand in, or at least visited at one point before he passed away in 1989.

But the Maui location...even though it's currently just a bar using Don's name...was at one time the "real thing."

BTW...I'm not in any way disparaging the new Big Island Don The Beachcomber in any way. I'm just saying that for true historic "Donn" locales...the Maui location is the only one left that's still standing and still called Don The Beachcomber.

FYI, we still have the building that used to house the old full Don The Beachcomber restaurant here in Marina Del Ray, California. And it still looks much the same. See:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21785

Perhaps I can drift over to pay some sort of tribute to this great man, on February 22nd. After a couple of tropical drinks across the way at The Warehouse Restaurant.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 7:38 pm   Permalink

How about a TC party there? Maybe we can get them to open the old Don the Beachcomber up on that day and have our own Don Beach memorial.
We could deck out part of interior for the day, I have a number of items to contribute mats, wall covering, flotsam and Von Tiki said he could bring tiki. Maybe OA can contribute. We could have a band or LP's & BBQ. The Marina Del Rey Hotel might go for the idea of making it into a event space especially for Don's 100th. I'm willing to help if anyone else has the event experience to make it happen and pull it off. Any one interested?

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-18 19:56 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 3:11 pm   Permalink

In honor of the 100th birthday of Donn Beach, creator of some of the most astounding cocktails ever cocncocted, and contender for the title of founding father of Polynesian Pop, I am having a small gathering of cocktail fanatics and Tiki worsippers over on Sunday.

All TC-ers are welcome.
If I know you, show up.
If I don't know you, PM me, say hi, and show up.
I'll send directions to those who need them via PM.
I am in Chicago near Western and Touhy.

I will be mixing up Don's most famous recipes: Zombie, Missionary's Downfall, and Dr. Funk, with highest-quality ingredients, following classic recipes to the letter.

I have the drinks nailed down, but since I can't cook, you're welcome (not obligated) to bring munchies or Hors D'oeuvres.

Being a Sunday, and also since I have neighbors, it will be a fairly early gathering.

Sunday, February 11,
4 PM to 10 PM.

Sorry, I can't do it on THE DAY (Feb 22), the 11th is the only day I can do this.

See you for a Zombie on Sunday in honor of Donn!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 10:14 am   Permalink

The first of the Donn Beach centennial celebrations is history.

Don the Beachcomber Zombie (from Intoxica), Don's Rum Punch (from Grog Log) and Missionary's Downfall (Tiki Road Trip version - I like the honey) were all consumed in both quality and quantity. The last four men standing at the end of the night shared a concoction made with Orgeat, Pampero rum, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and a mint sprig, but the name of this drink may not be uttered, lest we offend the ghost of honor.

We had a nice mix of about 15 TC and FOM people and about another dozen malahinis.
A good number of people for a meeting in the Aku Hall.

Mahalo nui for gracing Aku Hall with your presence, and for toasting the founding father of Polynesian Pop (or, his ghost at least).

You guys all came through in briging a TON of food, and the only casualty of the night was my conch shell, which decided to leap off of a window sill and die rather than have me blow it again.
It's penultimate act was sounding in honor of Joe and Roger's heroic lime-run, which enabled the creation of a final batch of Beachcomber's Punch.

Pics of the Tiki-people contingent...

Thw whole FOM gang.
This worked out nicely, ALL of the FOM members who showed up, all showed up between 4 and 6; all of my other non-FOM pals came after 6. So we were able to get a nice pic of all of the FOM people. Most (all?) of them are TC-ers too.
That's Mike (Block 16), Dave (Lake Surfer), James (tikibars), Joe (chef Dime), Roger and Mel (Exotica 59), Craig (C10), Ted and Patty (Ted Tiki).

Add Tc-er TipsymcStagger to the mix...

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-02-13 15:12 ]

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-02-13 4:18 pm   Permalink

Don't forget to visit Forbidden Island on the 22nd for our 100th Birthday Bash.

Breaking out two great recipes for the occasion- and making a lot of my own ingredients for this one.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-13 7:10 pm   Permalink

james, i think it was all the booze on your breath that caused your conch shell to pass out and roll off it's perch.......as a result, the poor thing died with a blood alcohol level way over the limit.

we had a good time!! thanks for the invite.....it was also nice to see familiar faces and meet some new ones as well.....lake, thanks for the cool masks!! keep finishing them up in that new style and you got a winning combo....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-11 10:14, tikibars wrote:
The first of the Donn Beach centennial celebrations is history.

Don the Beachcomber Zombie (from Intoxica), Don's Rum Punch (from Grog Log) and Missionary's Downfall (Tiki Road Trip version - I like the honey) were all consumed in both quality and quantity. The last four men standing at the end of the night shared a concoction made with Orgeat, Pampero rum, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and a mint sprig, but the name of this drink may not be uttered, lest we offend the ghost of honor.

We had a nice mix of about 15 TC and FOM people and about another dozen malahinis.
A good number of people for a meeting in the Aku Hall.

Mahalo nui for gracing Aku Hall with your presence, and for toasting the founding father of Polynesian Pop (or, his ghost at least).

You guys all came through in briging a TON of food, and the only casualty of the night was my conch shell, which decided to leap off of a window sill and die rather than have me blow it again.
It's penultimate act was sounding in honor of Joe and Roger's heroic lime-run, which enabled the creation of a final batch of Beachcomber's Punch.

Pics of the Tiki-people contingent...

Thw whole FOM gang.
This worked out nicely, ALL of the FOM members who showed up, all showed up between 4 and 6; all of my other non-FOM pals came after 6. So we were able to get a nice pic of all of the FOM people. Most (all?) of them are TC-ers too.
That's Mike (Block 16), Dave (Lake Surfer), James (tikibars), Joe (chef Dime), Roger and Mel (Exotica 59), Craig (C10), Ted and Patty (Ted Tiki).

Add Tc-er TipsymcStagger to the mix...

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-02-13 15:12 ]

that's not tipsy mcstagger....it's joe cocker!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation