FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Donn Beach centennial - February 22, 2007
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Donn Beach centennial - February 22, 2007
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 08:50 am   Permalink

..and i give your party two thumbs up you bastard!! you know where!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-14 5:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-14 08:50, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..and i give your party two thumbs up you bastard!! you know where!!

Lol...thats funny.

It was great to finally meet you Tipsy.

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 05:41 am   Permalink

LOL Tipsy you nut!

Good to see all you guys again!
You throw a excellent party James! The drinks were outa this world!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 09:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-15 05:41, exotica59 wrote:
The drinks were outa this world!

Thank Mr. Earnest Raymond Beaumont Gantt (aka Donn Beach) for that I just followed instructions!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 12:00 pm   Permalink

To celebrate the Don the Beachcomber Centennial, we'll be releasing a limited Zombie mug on 22nd Feb at 12 midday uk time.

Check out
www.cheekytiki.com/zombie, it will be live at 12pm GMT

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-21 4:08 pm   Permalink

So is anything in the works for a hoity toity tribute to the man in SoCal? I was thinking of going to Tiki Ti tonight but it is looking like I will not be able to make it. Perhaps tomorrow is better to lift the closest thing to a DtB Zombie in tribute to the Father of Tiki or, as Beachbum Berry has called him, Dad The Beachcomber.

So, good places for a potential hoity toity celebration are:

Tiki Ti - founded by one of Don's "Four Boys" and where Don's drinks are still served.

The Warehouse - closest tiki like bar to what was once upon a time a real Don The Beachcomber's.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 4:53 pm   Permalink

A few of us are meeting at the Warehouse Restaurant in Marina Del Rey this Thursday Febuary 22 anytime after 4PM , have Mai Tai's ,I mean Zombies and carpool over around 5:30PM to the old Don the Beachcomber site and offer a toast Donn as the sun goes down. Please join us.

Life is a state of mind

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 10:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:
A few of us are meeting at the Warehouse Restaurant in Marina Del Rey this Thursday Febuary 22 anytime after 4PM , have Mai Tai's ,I mean Zombies and carpool over around 5:30PM to the old Don the Beachcomber site and offer a toast Donn as the sun goes down.

Looks like I'll be able to join in at Marina Del Rey to hoist one to the Donn at the Warehouse, and then over to my old hangout...the former Don The Beachcomber restaurant.

See you tomorrow!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 3:02 pm   Permalink

Happy Birthday Donn!

I'm on my way to your little party right now.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-22 4:07 pm   Permalink

Too early for me. I would love to join you but I am going to be working late tonight. Unavoidable, I'm afraid. Take pictures (of course you will) and I will try to be with you in spirit.

But if I can I may try to be there in person at Tiki Ti later tonight.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Too early for me. I would love to join you but I am going to be working late tonight. Unavoidable, I'm afraid. Take pictures (of course you will) and I will try to be with you in spirit.

But if I can I may try to be there in person at Tiki Ti later tonight.

May have been too early for me too. Been here almost 2 hours now and I'm still the only one here! But I am being taken care of very well by the staff. Great Happy Hour here!

Here's Tai number three...along with your post:

Assuming Tim got snarled in the rainy traffic somewhere. But if he doesn't show soon...I may head over to pay my repects to Donn on my own, and then head to Tiki Ti to join you!

PremEx...posting Live from The Warehouse in Marina Del Rey.

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 5:45 pm   Permalink

Tim just showed up. Got clipped in a traffic accident. Minor damage. Let the drinking begin!

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 9:11 pm   Permalink

Well as Premex mentioned, I got there late due to a traffic mishap on PCH. Bora Boris,Premex and I raised our Mai Tai's to Donn on his 100th. Sorry about the bad weather that kept some of you away.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-23 07:18 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-02-22 9:21 pm   Permalink

Happy Birthday Donn!

Ojaitimo and PremEx, it was great to meet you guys and I look forward to meeting for drinks at The Warehouse again.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2007-02-22 21:30 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 10:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Ojaitimo and PremEx, it was great to meet you guys and I look forward to meeting for drinks at The Warehouse again.

Great to meet you too, and to see Ojaitimo again! Great evening and several toasts to the memory of Don The Beachcomer had me feeling no pain!

The evening started out all grey and damp with much cold rain. Somehow I imagine Donn being born on a warm grass mat on some sunny tropical isle, in the shade of a gently swaying coconut tree. So at first, I was kinda thinking this weather wasn't very appropriate for this man of the sun's birthday. But then feeling all the warmth of the tropical concoctions that he helped make famous...made me think that it was precicely for such situations, that Donn created what he did.

Afterwords when I walked out of The Warehouse, the clouds had parted, the stars were out, and it had turned into a beautiful evening. So before heading home, I drove over to the now empty but still standing Don The Beachcomber restaurant building on Bali Way at Marina Del Rey.

It was kinda eerie standing there with nobody around and the cold wind whipping though the still standing palm trees. You could almost imagine the sound of happy customers coming from within the now empty former home of Don's. The place still would make a wonderful Poly restaurant and bar. It's in great shape.

I took this photo of the moon rising above the gentle slopping roof of the old Don's on his 100th birthday:

..and also shot a few seconds of crappy cell phone video of this former palace of good food and drink on this special occasion:

http://members.aol.com/premex/uploads/tiki/donbeachMDR022207.3g2

Cheers to you Donn! And Thanks for all you did for all us poor souls in search of good food, good drink, good tiki, and good fun.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation