FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Jab's grenadine taste-off
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Jab's grenadine taste-off
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 10:24 am   Permalink

I hate to be a contrarian -- actually, I don't -- but if one is looking for authenticity in their recipes, using a true pomegranate syrup as grenadine won't give it to you. Grenadine has been nothing more than dyed sugar water since before Prohibition. Makes me think it's unlikely that Don or Vic were using otherwise.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 11:32 am   Permalink

Here's a good example of where I'll choose good over authentic.

(And when I make Prohibition-era cocktails I stick with London Dry or Old Tom instead of trying to mix up some homemade Jake-Leg gin. Sometimes authentic isn't all it's cracked up to be. )

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-08-19 11:42 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 1:11 pm   Permalink

delete

[ This Message was edited by: djmont 2014-03-20 09:07 ]

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-19 1:45 pm   Permalink

I have 'Old English Grenadine Alcoholic Cordial' & Monin. I also have Bols (unused).

Monin is a bit like strawberry jam. I rate the 'Old English Grenadine Alcoholic Cordial', Im near the bottom, its taken a while about 9 months to drink 70cl!

I intend to make a small batch of hibiscus grenadine per this recipe to compare (
http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=16699 ), hibiscus seems a little more 'tiki'

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 8:56 pm   Permalink

I've had Monin, Sonoma Syrup Classic Grenadine, Sonoma Syrup Pomegranate Grenadine Simple Syrup, Small Hand Foods Grenadine, "Mid East Pomegranate Molasses", Stirrings, Trader Vic's and Roses grenadines. For my money Small Hand Foods Grenadine is easily the best. Luckily I can sometimes find it at the Cask Store in San Francisco when I'm on my way to Smuggler's Cove.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 07:52 am   Permalink

I often use Finest Call Pomegranate Syrup, which I think is about 11% of the stuff.

By the way, I think an excellent vehicle to test your grenadine is in a Jack Rose; esp with the Laird's Straight Apple Brandy (100 proof)---if it can stand up to that, it's working.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 3:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-20 20:56, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I've had Monin, Sonoma Syrup Classic Grenadine, Sonoma Syrup Pomegranate Grenadine Simple Syrup, Small Hand Foods Grenadine, "Mid East Pomegranate Molasses", Stirrings, Trader Vic's and Roses grenadines. For my money Small Hand Foods Grenadine is easily the best. Luckily I can sometimes find it at the Cask Store in San Francisco when I'm on my way to Smuggler's Cove.

+1 Small Hand Foods is awesome (for everything - try their Pineapple Gum syrup in a pina colada - turns pineapple/coconut haters into your new best friend)

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 06:16 am   Permalink

I have heard the Small Hands pineapple gomme makes a killer Pisco Punch. I finally found some gum arabic and ha e been meaning to make some pineapple gomme syrup but haven't gotten to it yet.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 05:08 am   Permalink

here's another lazy man's grenadine i'm trying out:

bought a bottle of Monin pomegranite syrup, added a teaspoon of orange flower water, shook it up. not bad, still a bit tart though. but better than the corn-syrupy 'grenadines' available in stores around here...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Oxybeles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-06 07:16 am   Permalink

For simplicity sake...

1/2 Monin Pomegranate Syrup + 1/2 Monin Grenadine Syrup = Go to....

View Profile of Oxybeles Send a personal message to Oxybeles      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 07:31 am   Permalink

I'd like to add another suggestion.

I really like Routin 1883 syrups.

I use their:
Pomegranate
Orgeat
and Lavender

They use really good ingredients, are affordable, and work very well in cocktails.

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 1:28 pm   Permalink

Oxy, if I ever stumble across the Monin grenadine i will give that a whirl (after trying the grenadine itself first).

Destro- have never seen that brand before. checked their website, says their grenadine is a blend of berries and vanilla...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-07 07:46 am   Permalink

Hey Porpoise and all,

I'm not sure where you got that description for Routin Grenadine. Maybe there are a few slightly different products. I've attached some pictures of the actual pomegranate syrup.

Check out the ingredients: Cane sugar (no high fructose), water, and pomegranate juice are the first three. Then elderberry (actually listed as 10%).

In addition, check out how their orgeat did in a little face-off -
http://professorcocktail.com/ingredients/taste-test-orgeat-almond-syrup/

I hope that clears things up.

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 12:26 am   Permalink

I make my own grenadine out of store-bought Pom Wonderful, which has no ingredients besides juice concentrate. I put it in a pot, add an equal amount of sugar, stir over medium heat until dissolved, and bottle. Works great. No figuring out which commercial brand is better-tasting and no messy seeding of pomegranates. I'd love to taste some made from a fresh pomegranate, though.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-22 10:43 am   Permalink

TorchGuy, I'll do the same during those months when fresh pomegranates aren't available. For each 8oz. Pom (or fresh-squeezed juice) I add 1 oz. pomegranate molasses and 1/4 tsp. orange blossom water which, I think, makes for a richer grenadine. I use Cortas brand for both ingredients.

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation