FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Shake Yer Booty update Jan. 22 Materials: Where to get 'em!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Shake Yer Booty update Jan. 22 Materials: Where to get 'em!
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 08:13 am   Permalink

hahahah.......great stuff guys.....still waiting for my damn crap to show up!!!! UPS where are youuuuuuu!!!! I feel like I'm falling behind...save yourselves......gooooooooo

As soon as my junk gets here I'll photo the process of my "adventure"...this thread is sooo great, I feel like everyone is making the mistakes for me - now how and I going to mess up???

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 08:19 am   Permalink

Well, I couldn't find my "back massager" this morning, so I just had to shake it with my hand. The fresh mold I just poured! You know, to get the bubbles out. Sheesh.

I'll have to dig around for that 15 year old engraver/etcher that is somewhere in the garage.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 09:57 am   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Dav great thread pal!! Greetings! Sorry for not being around lately...

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 10:57 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-01-30 08:19, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Well, I couldn't find my "back massager" this morning, so I just had to shake it with my hand.[quote] ------------------------------------ If you have your mold on a board or piece of glass, you can put a sheet of rubber or foam under it and use a 1/4 sheet electric sander without the paper to vibrate your poured mixture and help bring the air bubbles to the surface. Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 7:22 pm   Permalink

This thread is so increadible. Just tons of useful tips and a huge amount of participation! Here is my first solo attempt with resin: Fridge Tangs
My neighbor has been giving me lessons, and as soon as I find the time I'll post a large series of pics where he helped me make a pretty amazing two-piece mold of my octopus carving. Thanks everyone!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 8:19 pm   Permalink

octopus? I LOVE Octopods... can't wait to see them.
I went over to Moki's last night and got lessons from the new master and helped her cast another small army of tiki's. The molds come out incredible, the detail is amazing, and I only poured way too slow on one batch, it's amazing how fast that stuff starts to set, then less than 5 minutes to completely set.
I can't wait to cast something else - I just need to get carving.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 8:32 pm   Permalink

I just did my mold tonight...messed up and didn't mix enough so I had to haul ass and mix more and add it....should not be a problem. I guess it sets in 4 hours...so tommorrow morning it will be like xmas as I sneak out to the studio at first light and see how bad the damage is. Hopefully I'll be casting tomorrow night!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 8:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-31 20:32, Clysdalle wrote:
should not be a problem. I guess it sets in 4 hours

Molds in fours is not happening! I'd give it 24+ hours in these current temps. Casts are ready in 10 minutes, but still bendy. This is for my finger size pendants.

Pod?? Ain't it pie? That is just gross. One, I hate calamari. You just eat something like that in desperation. Not because it is good. I had this weird bento lunch, blechh!! Pie on the other hand..... peach or apple or even minced meat.... is this the food network chat room...?

I'll try to come up with pics of the painted pendants. They are a bit cartoony.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-01 07:27 am   Permalink

Clysdalle: What kind of silicone did you get that sets in four hours? (and did it?)

Mr.NoNaMe: Did your "back massager " work getting the bubbles out? Yes, please post your pendants no matter how cartoony. How about some calimari pie?!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 08:30 am   Permalink

Hey Tikidave,

The stuff I used was this
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82083 from micro mark....it was in somebodies post about resin casting before this holy grail of a post was written. Now I poured it at 8pm...and then I fell asleep so I can't say it was done in 4 hours...but when I checked this morning at 6am it was bone dry and I was able to remove it from my carving. So I guess that stuff works...and had no smell either.

Ok, now I'm going to cast tonight but I have a few questions...I notice that I got most of the air bubbles out with a sander but I have 2 small bubbles I can see that will cast like little pimples when I toss in the resin. Now my question is...do I try and fill the small holes now (and how) or do I just cast and then cut and sand them off after? I'm going to paint and stain the finished resin if that makes a difference.

-clys

Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

Not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but we had a few small bubbles that left little "pimples" on the finished resin piece. I was able to remove them with the tip of my exacto blade and a little sand paper.

Once they were painted you didn't really notice them (I still do, but that's because I know where they were. Nobody else notices them)

Post some pictures!!!

Edit for damn spelling error!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Moki 2007-02-01 12:58 ]

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-01 2:05 pm   Permalink

Clysdalle: You can fill the bubbles in the silicone, but it's probably not worth it. You would have to mix a small batch of silicone with a filler like Cabosil, and a fast catalyst. Mix enough Cabosil into it to make it thick, then fill the holes with it. Sort of like sculpting in silicone which is dang near impossible. There's a danger of the patches not sticking once you start pulling castings out as well.

Your best bet is to do like Moki and pop the BB bubbles out of each casting with an X-Acto.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 2:12 pm   Permalink

Sounds like I'll just pop the pimples like a high schooler before prom!!!

i'll post up some pics tonight after I give it a go!

Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 8:43 pm   Permalink

Ok, just used up all my resin already damnit.....so here they are ...7 dwarfs....I didn't have any silicone spray but I could not wait....so I used some talc since I was going to paint all of them anyway....

was pretty fun and easy minus the pimples...but they will be easy to hide...

Hope to get a few painted up and pretty this weekend...

Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 9:40 pm   Permalink

YAY!!!! They look great!! We ran out of resin the first day too. That was a bummer. When we re-ordered, we got two gallons. Should be good for a while now.

Wanna do a pendant trade?? We won't be able to make the February Chop, so if you still have any left, we can swap in March.

Can't wait to see them painted.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation