FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 10:34 am   Permalink

Ok, I finally found this photo. This was taken in the 60's. Enjoy everyone. "Barney" is what they have begun to call him and he will be the focus of our pendant and mug this next Hukilau.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 09:25 am   Permalink

Okay, do I see an erect penis there or is it just some chance dark area. I was always told he originated with a penis, but I think it would be flacid...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 09:39 am   Permalink

Now that would have been be extremely forward for the 60s, a carving like that was reserved for the rumpus room, never "erected" in public areas. Maybe it is another animal symbolizing "it", like his nose being a lizard?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-07 3:19 pm   Permalink

A lady at the bank I would go to said that
they knew one of the guys that did the the
Kahiki, and he gave them a tiki that could not be used
at the restaurant because of the package it had.
I think she said it had a man tiki on one side
and a girl tiki on the other.

I asked if she wanted to sell it.
But she did not.
Bet that tiki was mint!

Great pic's!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 08:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-07 09:25, Swanky wrote:
Okay, do I see an erect penis there or is it just some chance dark area. I was always told he originated with a penis, but I think it would be flacid...

Barney's just happy to see you Swanky!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 10:53 am   Permalink

Wow - Thanks for posting that picture.

Big Bro - no offense taken. I understand that images are rare - I also understand that that are thousands of image NOT posted in people's collections and the forums are the best way to contact those people.

Now for another request... I am looking for details of the Face, head and features. There is a purpose for request and I will show that when I'm ready. For now more research is needed. Thanks

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-08 08:53, Jeff Central wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-12-07 09:25, Swanky wrote:

Barney's just happy to see you Swanky!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

The story is that "Barney" was rather well endowed upon his installation. At the time the Mai Kai was a mostly Adult-Centric operation being a Bar first and a restaurant second. It would have been very risqué (VERY) for the time, but being focused more on the adult population and under cover of him being presented as an Oceanic Artifact would have given the Mai Kai a whole lot of leeway to 'get away' with something so 'rude' by today's standards.

Sometime in the mid to late 70's Barney was neutered as it were. Some say the weather got the best of his little tiki, others say it was a cruel act to appease the more family-oriented crowd that was frequenting the place. Either way, no one seems to remember well enough (or seem to have any pictures) of how well endowed Barney may have been upon his installation, nor does anyone seem to remember when he may have lost that particular feature.

Don't know how much of the story is true and how much has been embellished by the retelling..... if nothing else it makes for entertaining story.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 11:44 am   Permalink

Tom, maybe I will send out a news about Barney for your project. Kevin Kidney has also asked for photos as - *surprise* - Barney will be the study of the Hukilau 2010 Official Mug. Kevin will sculpt it once again and Munktiki will produce it.

If ANYONE has photos, please post them here or send them to me directly. I sure would appreciate it.

And for a little eye candy for today....Check out this beauty snapped one one of the natural palms that used to be in the garden area of the A-Frame. And those glass doors you see in that photo used to open up so that you could enjoy the tropical nights.....

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 09:37 am   Permalink

I don't doubt Barney had a penis in the begining, nor that it rotted off. Everyone who saw Barney recently could see that the crotch was very far gone. Obviously went early. I just can't tell if that is a skinny erect penis in that picture or not!

Am I right that West carved similar pieces and I have seen the images elsewhere or am I just recalling other images of this guy?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-09 09:37, Swanky wrote:
....it rotted off. Everyone who saw Barney recently could see that the crotch was very far gone...

..you know, the same thing happened to Gauguin....AND Leeteg!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-13 9:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-08 11:44, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Kevin Kidney has also asked for photos as - *surprise* - Barney will be the study of the Hukilau 2010 Official Mug. Kevin will sculpt it once again and Munktiki will produce it.

If ANYONE has photos, please post them here or send them to me directly. I sure would appreciate it.

Not sure if this helps anything - a photo we took of "Barney" from Hukilau 2006. Given the discussion above, I bumped up the gamma a bit to show any remaining detail for the poor guy's decrepit crotch, but I don't think that answers any questions.

Can't wait to see what Kevin does for a sculpt!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-13 9:49 pm   Permalink

absolutly fantastic thread. thanks to all for posting the great history in pics.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 05:11 am   Permalink

Randy, thanks so much for the detailed pic! I will certainly let Kevin know that you have posted this.

I can't wait to see his sculpt either!

The Hukilau

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-21 01:59 am   Permalink

Here are a couple more Barney photos, taken in April 2008, including a too-close-for-comfort view of his "crotch rot" ...

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 12:00 am   Permalink

From the November 1959 issue of Esquire magazine. A one page of text and one full-page photo of a bartender pouring one of the flaming drinks at the Mai Kai. Also, the full, detailed recipe for the Moonkist Coconut:

"Although U.S. Route 1 is reputedly an artery hardened by mustard-smeared comestibles, two gentlemen arrived in Fort Lauderdale three years ago with a satchel full of money, and created a dining emporium in the near geographical center of Florida's Gold Coast. Les freres Jack and Robert Thornton, not yet aged thirty, indulged themselves in a million-dollar project which would have made Henry Flagler take pause. Equally removed from Worth Avenue and Key Biscayne, the Mai-Kai may well have been built in Polynesia—a sensation which the owners cherish. However, no small part of the current Fleetwood migration is triggered by atmospheric conditions as subtle as a tightly wrapped sarong.

To a region that is flagrantly chrome-cum-hibiscus, the Thorntons have imported koa, milo and monkey-pod wood for the elaborate interior structure, and counterpointed these textures with the art of Fujimoto and Askew. In deference to sun-drenched Florida, the island pulse is quickened by machine-driven rain sloshing against the windows of the Molokai Bar, while vagrant flames dance impo-tently from the midst of a giant coral-rock waterfall. But the muffled passion mood is not created solely by a decorator's taste for allegory, as edibles and potables must nourish that hedonic state.

For a restaurant which serves a thousand or more customers each evening, the Mai-Kai kitchen is remarkably uncluttered. Each meal is cooked to order, a feat possible not because of the simplicity of the fare, but because fourteen chefs work their cauldron magic simultaneously. Thirty-six standard dishes, such as Hong Shue Chicken, Water Chestnut Pork, Lotus Beef, and Mandarin Duck, come directly from the fire to the table in a two-minute lap. For those perverse observers who feel that Polynesian restaurants are nothing more than Cantonese cuisine minus neon lighting, Chef Kenny Lee stands ready to prepare a luau for guests who telephone their orders at least one week in advance. This ceremonial feast includes the traditional imu pig and wild orchid leis and costs just $150 without the extras—in all, an eminently fair price for ten diners.

Patrons are not permitted to mix their own drinks by chewing kava roots, but the spiritual concept of a luau is maintained with forty-eight rum concoctions, collected and in many instances originated by Mariano Licudine, the master mixologist. A dozen unseen bartenders juggling fifty-two kinds of rum and fruit extracts famed from Samoa to Singapore take his cabalistic direction with the precision of a Cape Canaveral fueling team. Consistent with Anglo-Polynesian patois, the drinks bear such names as Impatient Virgin and Shrunken Skull, which sheds no light on their ingredients but presumably is intended to disperse some social disorder.

Classic among Mai-Kai originals is the Mystery Bowl. At the ringing of a gong, this flaming concoction comes to the table in the hands of a hula-skirted maiden, and in a manner which would win applause from the Tahitians, among whom such inflammatory rhythms were born. The Mystery Bowl is a six-dollar drink, but it may adequately quench four to six straw-sipping customers. To those gentlemen who have sampled all the world's cane squeezings —from frosty elegance to fiery turbulence—Dr. Licudine prescribes his original Moonkist Coconut, now revealed for the first time:

Moonkist Coconut
Half ounce lime juice
Quarter ounce simple syrup
Quarter ounce honey
Quarter ounce Falernum
Half ounce coconut milk(fresh or powdered)
Three-quarter ounce West Indies rum
One and a half ounces Puerto Rican light rum
Three-quarter ounce Barbados rum
Two dashes Angostura Bitters
Put all the ingredients in a mixer with crushed ice; strain and serve cold in a topped coconut, or suitably attractive glass.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation